Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My driver side outside door handle has been busted almost a year now. I do not want to buy a new factory one. Already had a replacement and that broke too. I live in Alabama and it gets really hot here in the summer and it seems to take a toll on the inner parts of the door handle. I can see it is a flawed material and design. The plastic is not strong enough for thousands of actuations in that design, and the holes for the pivot pin do not leave enough material around them to last. I don't want to spend 150 bucks on a new assembly that will just break again.

I am fabbing the non metal parts out of 3D printed carbon fiber. The local university engineering school here does this very affordably for the public to give their students real world experience. I can 3D scan the old part with the same lab, but it would be a sloppy scan because I have tried to reinforce it other ways...that proved unsuccessful, and corrupted the original shape and design. The tab for the pivot pin also broke off of the shell, so I need to make that part too. The pivot pin went missing too. And I am generally meticulous about bagging small parts and screws and labelling them. No idea how that went missing. So any of those parts or the whole assembly is needed.

I am looking for someone who has replaced one and has the old assembly, so I can remove the non-metal parts and do this. I don't care about the color. I am going to use it to scan. Even if it is broken, as long as you have all the pieces, that will work. I will gladly trade the finished 3D CAD file for your trouble, and pay shipping.

Glove Box Handle

The glove box was quite easy to remove. But the door itself, is a sealed unit. So I cut a panel out where the handle is to have a look (planned on putting in some screws to put it back on and then covering up the cutout and cosmetic mess in a carbon patterned vinyl wrap so it looks good once all back together.. The handle came out with a coupe of screws. But the tiny little finger on the handle that actuates the spring loaded latch, fits inside a groove in the latch. It looks like both the tip of the finger wore down, and the bottom edge of the groove it fits in, broke. I tried some strong epoxy and it broke off immediately. I cant really find anything strong that will adhere to this plastic. So I might have to figure out a way to modify this too. Problem is, it does not come apart. Apparently it was molded all together. The pins in the hinge of the handle do not flex or remove. And it seems that handle would need to come off to fit it into the groove of the latch...if I could fix that. That would be an easy part to 3D print. But I am not sure how to put the handle back together. that, and the actuating finger on the handle looks worn, and making that in #d Carbon would mean it wouldn't match the leathery texture of the rest of the dash material. If I could build up the finger with some kind of epoxy that would stick, I could drill out the plastic hinge pins and use screws and a nut to put it back together. That would be some tiny hardware though, and I wont find that at Home Depot or Lowes. Also, getting the screws in there, would be like microsurgery! Tedious at the least.

Attaching pictures for spits and giggles.

So does anyone have a glove box door? unlikely, since the reason for replacing would be the same problem I have. But worth an ask I guess. Other than that...does anyone have any ideas?

A
20190826_185519.jpg
20190826_185539.jpg
20190826_185613.jpg
20190826_185720.jpg

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,960 Posts
I could open my glove box, and reseal it with no damage to the outer shell (but I tried to epoxy the latch mechanism, with about as much luck as you had.) Bought an extra glove box, but still trying to "fix" the broken one, and a 3d print/mold to replace the broken piece would be an excellent repair item to have.
See my post with pics of the glovebox apart:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I could open my glove box, and reseal it with no damage to the outer shell (but I tried to epoxy the latch mechanism, with about as much luck as you had.) Bought an extra glove box, but still trying to "fix" the broken one, and a 3d print/mold to replace the broken piece would be an excellent repair item to have.
See my post with pics of the glovebox apart:
My driver side outside door handle has been busted almost a year now. I do not want to buy a new factory one. Already had a replacement and that broke too. I live in Alabama and it gets really hot here in the summer and it seems to take a toll on the inner parts of the door handle. I can see it is a flawed material and design. The plastic is not strong enough for thousands of actuations in that design, and the holes for the pivot pin do not leave enough material around them to last. I don't want to spend 150 bucks on a new assembly that will just break again.

I am fabbing the non metal parts out of 3D printed carbon fiber. The local university engineering school here does this very affordably for the public to give their students real world experience. I can 3D scan the old part with the same lab, but it would be a sloppy scan because I have tried to reinforce it other ways...that proved unsuccessful, and corrupted the original shape and design. The tab for the pivot pin also broke off of the shell, so I need to make that part too. The pivot pin went missing too. And I am generally meticulous about bagging small parts and screws and labelling them. No idea how that went missing. So any of those parts or the whole assembly is needed.

I am looking for someone who has replaced one and has the old assembly, so I can remove the non-metal parts and do this. I don't care about the color. I am going to use it to scan. Even if it is broken, as long as you have all the pieces, that will work. I will gladly trade the finished 3D CAD file for your trouble, and pay shipping.

Glove Box Handle

The glove box was quite easy to remove. But the door itself, is a sealed unit. So I cut a panel out where the handle is to have a look (planned on putting in some screws to put it back on and then covering up the cutout and cosmetic mess in a carbon patterned vinyl wrap so it looks good once all back together.. The handle came out with a coupe of screws. But the tiny little finger on the handle that actuates the spring loaded latch, fits inside a groove in the latch. It looks like both the tip of the finger wore down, and the bottom edge of the groove it fits in, broke. I tried some strong epoxy and it broke off immediately. I cant really find anything strong that will adhere to this plastic. So I might have to figure out a way to modify this too. Problem is, it does not come apart. Apparently it was molded all together. The pins in the hinge of the handle do not flex or remove. And it seems that handle would need to come off to fit it into the groove of the latch...if I could fix that. That would be an easy part to 3D print. But I am not sure how to put the handle back together. that, and the actuating finger on the handle looks worn, and making that in #d Carbon would mean it wouldn't match the leathery texture of the rest of the dash material. If I could build up the finger with some kind of epoxy that would stick, I could drill out the plastic hinge pins and use screws and a nut to put it back together. That would be some tiny hardware though, and I wont find that at Home Depot or Lowes. Also, getting the screws in there, would be like microsurgery! Tedious at the least.

So does anyone have a glove box door? unlikely, since the reason for replacing would be the same problem I have. But worth an ask I guess. Other than that...does anyone have any ideas?

A View attachment 59812 View attachment 59813 View attachment 59814 View attachment 59815
Please let me know if you find a way to 3D print the door Handel parts. I have been trying for 2years no luck. I have replaced handles twice. The only positive I can say is whether start to go bad push in on the door as you pull this make the latch last much longer. I have a used driver handle assembly worn but working. I will ship it to you but I would like it back and a copy of the scan for personal use. My glovebox latch also failed. I replaced it with a marine door latch from west marine.

Glove Box Handle

A View attachment 59812 View attachment 59813 View attachment 59814 View attachment 59815

Glove Box Handle

Glove Box Handle

I will send you a good used driver door Handel but I would like it back when your done and and copy of the scan. I fixed my glovebox with a marine latch.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Please let me know if you find a way to 3D print the door Handel parts. I have been trying for 2years no luck. I have replaced handles twice. The only positive I can say is whether start to go bad push in on the door as you pull this make the latch last much longer. I have a used driver handle assembly worn but working. I will ship it to you but I would like it back and a copy of the scan for personal use. My glovebox latch also failed. I replaced it with a marine door latch from west marine.
This forum software is terrible

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can you PM me please and we can exchange info? I will gladly give you the 3D printable file. I already made a #D file for the glovebox latch. Just the latch part. I am going to see if it will snap into place without having to do the handle too. It looks like the actuating finger is fine. I will update you on how it works.

Obviously, printing it in the sturdiest material is best. I am doing it in carbon fiber. Should be much better than the nylon they used. I am actually pretty disappointed in Honda on some parts of this car. The quality and design of some of the detail parts is poor. That is not like Honda. Overall, I love my CRZ. But these details can really be a pisser and take away from the enjoyment of the car when it does not look all nice and fresh as it should.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This forum software is terrible
Here are images of the 3D model of the glovebox latch. Since I don't need that from you, I would gladly send this in good faith for you to send the door handle. Then, when I get the doorhandle model done, I will send you that as well, and send your handle assembly back. I guess I am going to have to make the pivot pin out of carbon as well. but that will be just as strong as the original. They guarantee all of this to be a little stronger than machined aluminum.

2013HondaCRZ-glovebox-latch-001a.jpg
2013HondaCRZ-glovebox-latch-001b.jpg

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got the part printed for less than 10 bucks. It needed some subtle filing to match and slide smoothly with the normal wear in the handle mechanism, but once I finessed that, it is perfect.

IM me and I am happy to send the file. I can also refer you to the place that printed mine. It cost me about 16 bucks and I made three of them.

20190830_175527.jpg
20190830_175527.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
233 Posts
Shutterspeeder, when you get the door handle worked out, put me in line for one of the printed fixes. I have a buddy that could print it for me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Has there been any update on this front in the last two years? Especially the outer handle?
Wondering the same thing. Also, don't know how to go about getting the plastic part in the door handle 3d printed somewhere near me even when I have the specs. Have a new door handle assembly but worried about even installing it here in Florida with the heat as the plastic part that breaks in it won't last long.

·
Super Moderator
5,952 Posts
You bought the part your car is a 2011 and this is probably the first time it has broken. After you install the new one just be gentle and it will probably last as long as the original one. Yes this is an issue but not as frequent as you think. I have not seen postings where an owner had to replace the same handle twice.

The guys that have 3d printed them own 3d printers.

Wondering the same thing. Also, don't know how to go about getting the plastic part in the door handle 3d printed somewhere near me even when I have the specs. Have a new door handle assembly but worried about even installing it here in Florida with the heat as the plastic part that breaks in it won't last long.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You bought the part your car is a 2011 and this is probably the first time it has broken. After you install the new one just be gentle and it will probably last as long as the original one. Yes this is an issue but not as frequent as you think. I have not seen postings where an owner had to replace the same handle twice.

The guys that have 3d printed them own 3d printers.
Mine is a 2015. I planned on doing that but am worried about going through all the work to reinstall this whole new assembly since I have read about people replacing the door handle several times due to this part. At least maybe I could get a 3d scan of the part somewhere in case it breaks again that way I would only have to find someone to print the part rather than buying a whole new assembly again. This thread here got me worried too: Driver's side exterior door handle malfunction. 2011 Thanks for your reply!

·
Super Moderator
5,952 Posts
More 2011s have reported breakage than 2015s. I have a 2013 and I plan on buying and having in stock replacement handles for when they break once my employment situation is better. I was shocked to find out the whole part is plastic. It kind of annoys me but what can I do? I open my handles very gently and i unlatch the door and pull on the door itself rather than the handle. I also think Honda made changes to the handle but they are under the same part number for years after 2011. I can't confirm this other than by the fact there are less postings for handle issues for years other than 2011.

Mine is a 2015. I planned on doing that but am worried about going through all the work to reinstall this whole new assembly since I have read about people replacing the door handle several times due to this part. At least maybe I could get a 3d scan of the part somewhere in case it breaks again that way I would only have to find someone to print the part rather than buying a whole new assembly again. This thread here got me worried too: Driver's side exterior door handle malfunction. 2011 Thanks for your reply!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts