Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently started having problems with door handle sticking, not returning to flush position, and door being difficult to open. I'm afraid the door handle may break off. Has anyone else had a problem like this? If so, what was the fix?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Yea this happened to me this summer. And the door did indeed break off. If you're mechanically inclined, you could replace the door handle part but it runs about $120 depending on where u look. Or if u have the dealer do it, possibly $300-500 including the part and labor

·
Registered
47 Posts
Recently started having problems with door handle sticking, not returning to flush position, and door being difficult to open. I'm afraid the door handle may break off. Has anyone else had a problem like this? If so, what was the fix?
Same here. I spray it with wd 40 every now and then. That seems to work for a lil while

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Handle needs to be replaced. Common problem on these cars. If you use the search on the forums here, you will find tons of info about the issue. Replacing the door handle is a bit of a pain, but the handle only costs like $100+-

·
Registered
33 Posts
Ugh, mine started doing the same thing this past summer; about half the time it doesn't snap back flush. Just a gentle touch and it then snaps flush.

I am assuming the replacement handle will also need to be painted to match?

·
Super Moderator
5,595 Posts
It is a molded plastic part. If available you order in your CR-Zs color.
Ugh, mine started doing the same thing this past summer; about half the time it doesn't snap back flush. Just a gentle touch and it then snaps flush.

I am assuming the replacement handle will also need to be painted to match?

·
Super Moderator
5,595 Posts
They are getting hard to find depending on color and side. You can get the part numbers from this site and either order here or Google for lower cost at a site in your country. https://www.hondapartsnow.com If you find your color available order for both sides it is not a question of if but when with this issue.

Oh, well that's neat!
I will have to see what I can dig up then!
Thanks for the response!!

I suppose I can't be that upset about it wearing out with the car about to roll over 302k km, tbh.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I'm currently back in the handle replace game myself. My drivers one has failed. Argh.. of course, right when it gets cold!! Figures.

Already did this once on my other car. I think when the weather is nice again I will just pull / replace the entire door with one off my spare car. PITA!

I def need to buy a passenger one and do it as well. :(

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'm currently back in the handle replace game myself. My drivers one has failed. Argh.. of course, right when it gets cold!! Figures.

Already did this once on my other car. I think when the weather is nice again I will just pull / replace the entire door with one off my spare car. PITA!

I def need to buy a passenger one and do it as well. :(
Is there a more permanent solution to this? I suspect it’ll be a couple years till the handle starts giving me issues again and they may not keep it in stock :(

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Is there a more permanent solution to this? I suspect it’ll be a couple years till the handle starts giving me issues again and they may not keep it in stock :(
No.. once you get a new handle, it should be fixed. The handles you buy from honda to replace with are a newer style with a supposed 'fix'. Or so they say. When I bought my new one and put it in, it felt much better. So... we'll see!!

I need to replace both the handles on this new (to me) crz I got. Not looking forward to it. Luckily, I have a parts car with a door that already has the handle. LOL!! So I might just pull the entire door.

Replacing the handle isn't too hard, just a bit tricky. I needed some help while doing it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
No.. once you get a new handle, it should be fixed. The handles you buy from honda to replace with are a newer style with a supposed 'fix'. Or so they say. When I bought my new one and put it in, it felt much better. So... we'll see!!

I need to replace both the handles on this new (to me) crz I got. Not looking forward to it. Luckily, I have a parts car with a door that already has the handle. LOL!! So I might just pull the entire door.

Replacing the handle isn't too hard, just a bit tricky. I needed some help while doing it.
When I did it, it wasn't too bad but one of the bolts was stripped so i had the dealer fix it. But my passenger door is definitely feeling finicky now and might have to replace it once it completely brakes. Hopefully the newer ones are permanently fixed

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hello to everyone! I would like to add my personal experience onto this matter. I faced on both door handles (Driver / Passenger external side) this sticky / sluggish movement. I tried to understand the root cause, because at some moment, when i tried to open the door, i applied so much force and start hearing plastic squeezing / deformation noises.

Definitely that was not a good thing...Also, for my was unacceptable to believe that Honda could face such a premature material fatigue. I have a 2004 Honda HRV 4x4 for the last 16 years without any flaw / issue.

My belief was that accumulated dirt, loss of lubricity on moving parts, caused such unpleasant effect.

To start with i washed thoroughly with WD40 the below areas:

- External door handles. I mounted, on WD40, a long spray tube as extender and tried to flush the external door handles, internally. To do so, i pulled gently the external door handle (likewise we do to open the door) in order to reveal a few access holes. Through these holes i passed the spray tube extender and start flushing. I tried different angles and positions in order to clean as much as possible the internal area.

- Moreover, i applied WD40 externally, into the mounting slit, periphricaly, between the door panel and door handle

- Door latches. I performed exactly the same as above. Flushed externally and after tried to pass the spray tube extender from any hole / opening i found and flush the internal parts of each door latch.

After this, i left it as it is for 1-2 days, in order WD40 to have some time to dissolve accumulated dirt / lubricate all moving parts.

As a final step, on 3rd day i applied with the same procedure, onto the same components, Silicon oil spray....a lot!! :)

Driver's side door handle is ok since then.

Passengers side door handle, i repeated the Silicon oil lubrication once more until fully fixed.

No more sluggish movement, squeezing noises or any difficulty in door opening.

Hope all the above to be helpful for any of you.

Best Regards from Greece! :)

·
Registered
2014 CR-Z, Base, CVT
253 Posts
When I got my 'Z about a month ago, the handle was doing the same thing. It sat a tad lower, so the bottom rubbed. I guess it rubbed enough to stop; now it does sit flush. In my case, my car is gray so the black plastic showing through the worn paint is nearly impossible to see. Might not be the case in lighter colored cars

·
Registered
88 Posts
I've already ordered a drivers side door handle from amayama.com pre-painted as a spare just in case. Cost about £100 including shipping and taxes.
Try waxing the inside rubber door seals so it's less sticky.
I pull the lever to unlock the door then use the door frame to open the door so as not to put any added stress on the door handle.

·
Super Moderator
5,595 Posts
Silicone spray is a better material for rubber door and other opening seals. Wipe it on with a rag.

I've already ordered a drivers side door handle from amayama.com pre-painted as a spare just in case. Cost about £100 including shipping and taxes.
Try waxing the inside rubber door seals so it's less sticky.
I pull the lever to unlock the door then use the door frame to open the door so as not to put any added stress on the door handle.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts