Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Thanks to the enthusiasm of wicked1 here in the forum, I decided to give Optimum products a try -- and I'm glad I did.

I'm not a hardcore detailer -- at least not since battling the bad factory paint on my '76 MG Midget back in the day. Weekend time is precious and I wanted products that would provide reasonably excellent protection with reasonably minimal effort. I also wanted products with little bad impact on the environment. After reading the Optimum site, it seemed to meet my specs.

I began with Optimum Car Wash and, as I said in another thread, was delighted with it. A little bit goes a long way (I'm getting good results now with less than 1 oz/gal), foams nicely, rinses quickly and is easy on the hands. It left my car sparkling, smooth and clean. So far, so good.

Next up was Opti-Seal, billed as a paint sealant with cross-linking polymer technology. Optimum positions it as a last step product with no additional paint protection required. The claims seem pretty extravagant, especially that it takes only a few drops to treat an entire vehicle. But I thought I'd give it a try. It does indeed go on very easily -- spray a light mist, wipe a bit with a microfiber towel and you're done. Ten minutes top! It added some gloss and after 30 minutes or so, water sheeted off it nicely. But it didn't bring out the shine I wanted. For me, the jury is still out for Opti-Seal.

Fortunately, I was ready with Optimum Car Wax. It's a spray wax with carnauba, polymers and UV inhibitors. Considering the ease of application, the results are fantastic. I went over the car with it twice and love the glassy, almost wet, glidey-smooth surface. Water beads up like it can't wait to get off the car. Bird poop usually releases with just a bit of water. And, so far, the wax has held up perfectly under five weekly washes, despite lots of SoCal sun and air pollution for my ungaraged car. I couldn't be happier.

On a whim, I tried the Optimum Car Wax on the very tired paint on my '97 4Runner. (It's going to the paint shop this year.) No miracles here; OCW isn't designed for such weary paint.

When it comes to high-quality detailing products, it seems to come down to a matter of personal preference since they all do a great job. For me, it's thumbs up for Optimum Car Wash and Car Wax -- and a uncertain "OK" for Opti-Seal.

Picture, of course:

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Honda cr-z Honda

·
Registered
887 Posts
I guess they do the cleaners well, because I like the other two they've got. No-rinse, and Opti-Clean (haven't tried "car wash" yet). You basically just wipe a wet towel over the car, and it's clean. (there's a little more to it, but not much).

I do like opti-seal, though, too. I usually put 2 coats on, a couple of hours (or a day) apart. But you're right, it's not shiny in the same way a wax is. I think the bonding to the paint vs layering on top of it is why. It makes the pearl in my white paint pop, where a wax is more mirror like, so I guess shinier.. but I don't see the depth/pearlness in the paint as much w/ a wax.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tried Opti-Clean on our mountain bikes on Saturday. Since I keep a spray bike wax on the painted frames, they're in good shape and Opti-Clean wasn't any different than any other cleaner.

But Opti-Clean really made the handlebars, cranks and other shiny stuff pop! They haven't cleaned/shined like this in years. Impressive.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Be sure you use good soft towels if you decide to opti-clean your car.. And I wouldn't use it on any real dirt, but a weeks worth of dust and road grime is no problem. (basically if there are bits of dirt or sand that could get stuck in the towel, I wouldn't risk it. Optimum seems to be very confident in their cleaning polymers ability to coat the little bits of dirt and make them non scratching, but still scares me a little. I don't drive all that much though so it works well for a weekly wash for me, if it hasn't rained or anything)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.