Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Capt'n Jack
9,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nice sunny weather. Listening to Los Lonely Boys at 22 volume on the way home. Had the HID lights on since I drive on a two lane road. Got home and left the HID lights on (didn't hear the alarm due to stereo). Have not left my lights on in years...

About 90 minutes later, a friendly neighbor knocked and told me my lights were on and the HID headlights just went out as she was walking by it. Parking lights still on.

Went out, turned them off and car would not start... No starter clicking - nothing. Dead silence. WTF?? Thinking only 90 minutes!! and battery is dead. IMA is dead??? Started scrounging around the garage for the battery charger. Took about 10 minutes to dig it out. Before going to the charger, decided to give it another try and the IMA started it right up. No cranking, just started up as normal.

Whew...

·
Registered
579 Posts
Thats why i leave it on auto. So things like this dont happen. You know you can alter the sensativity of the sensor. Mine is standard - medium, but they are 2 more levels lower than that for ultra high sensativity. The auto function is really great, no more judging when to turn them on, or forget to turn them on or off. Blah. Good thing your car started right up though.

btw, 22 is super loud man! *lol* depending on the song, anything more then 15 is just too loud. for me usually. Unless its a really poor quality song. Otherwise, I usually have it on 10. That's pretty good. The auto volume leveler does the rest.

·
Capt'n Jack
9,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats why i leave it on auto. So things like this dont happen. You know you can alter the sensativity of the sensor. Mine is standard - medium, but they are 2 more levels lower than that for ultra high sensativity. The auto function is really great, no more judging when to turn them on, or forget to turn them on or off. Blah. Good thing your car started right up though.

btw, 22 is super loud man! *lol* depending on the song, anything more then 15 is just too loud. for me usually. Unless its a really poor quality song. Otherwise, I usually have it on 10. That's pretty good. The auto volume leveler does the rest.
Yea, have not played with the sensitivity. Sunny day, but always a good idea to keep lights on when driving on a two line winding road. Hense the switch from auto to "on".

Begs the question, does the IMA recharge the battery? I noticed that the IMA is connected to the positive side of the battery.. So, if you do something stupid as I did, let it sit for a while and the IMA battery pack will do its job??

Los Lonely boys "Heaven" sounds great at 22 for those with a EX.

·
Registered
127 Posts
The CR-Z doesn't have headlights that automatically shut off reguardless of the position of the switch? Dang, thats gonna be a feature I'm going to miss from my current car when I get the CR-Z.
If in auto. They shut off and tuen on based on the lighting. But ya if you leave them on "on" theres no feature to shut them off. My old car had that feature too, but its easy. Just leave on auto lol

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Didn't know the auto-lights can be adjusted. I stopped using that feature quickly when the car would turn on the lights going under several of the bridges and underpasses around here.

·
Registered
666 Posts
The auto setting is pretty nice, but I never use it... Maybe it's just me, but I don't like having a car do things for me. Like automatic rain-sensing wipers, that would drive me nuts!

It really bothered me when cars starting to all have auto-shutoff headlights, and everyone would just leave them on and walk away from the car. They always stay on for like a minute, waste of energy IMO. My only thought was, how lazy are people gonna get that they don't want to have to remember to turn off headlights? :p

But I'll admit I am warming up to some of the newer features on cars... The auto climate control is pretty nice. :grin:

Glad your dead battery problem fixed itself, interesting concept about the IMA batteries charging the 12v... I would hope the IMA batteries last longer than 90 minutes of headlights.

·
Capt'n Jack
9,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Glad your dead battery problem fixed itself, interesting concept about the IMA batteries charging the 12v... I would hope the IMA batteries last longer than 90 minutes of headlights.
Yea, I'm by no means an electrical engineer but trying to do a little research. When I went to the car, turned off the HID lights, and attempted to turn the engine over, got absolutely nothing - like the primary battery up in front was completely dead as with any non hybrid car with the exception that I still had all internal lights, clock, Navi etc. Waited that 10 or so minutes and then it started up instantly like nothing happened. Next morning, no issues.

I dunno, guess it is a good thing. There is some interaction between the 12v battery and the IMA. If you remove the red side protector on the 12v up front, there are an additional 4 connectors which appear to be part of the IMA...

Anyone out there smart on this subject?

·
Registered
130 Posts
The auto setting just doesn't work well, not for the lights but for the dimming of the interior lights.

Honda didn't think about how the lights are used. For example when its raining here and we're using the wipers, we have to put the head lights on, which of course dims the interior lights to a level you can't see the speed. Unless you have the brightness at a level that you can see it, but then its blinding at night when its dark.

Or when the auto light sensor switches the lights on when the sun is behind you, can't see a single instrument.

I wish Honda would fix this with a software update.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
i like the auto light feature, still alittle too sensitive so if im goin under an overpass slowly due to traffic they come on and then go off a minute or so later. Besides that i have my interior lights at max, just like them nice and bright at night, though im sure if i lower them they will be too low for the day when they are on.

·
Registered
149 Posts
The auto-light feature might be the tipping point making me get an EX.

I can be extremly forgetful and absent minded ... and I've been driving my ol' Mercury with auto-lights for years.

Everytime I drive a car that doesn't have them it seems like there's a 30% chance I will totally forget to turn off the lights.

·
Registered
271 Posts
My 93 Toyota has an autolight feature that it has trained me to like. Just leave them set to ON. They will be turned off when the driver door opens after the key is removed, or when the key is removed after the door is opened. Seems simple yet I am sure that SOFTWARE is involved. Works for all circumstances except where I for some reason crawl out the passenger door.

I drive my CR-Z in auto mode yet have found that sometimes the dial gets spun when I use the turn signals. K

·
Registered
314 Posts
The auto setting just doesn't work well, not for the lights but for the dimming of the interior lights.

Honda didn't think about how the lights are used. For example when its raining here and we're using the wipers, we have to put the head lights on, which of course dims the interior lights to a level you can't see the speed. Unless you have the brightness at a level that you can see it, but then its blinding at night when its dark.

Or when the auto light sensor switches the lights on when the sun is behind you, can't see a single instrument.

I wish Honda would fix this with a software update.
If I remember correctly, you can have two brightness settings for the dash - one with headlights on and one with them off. Don't know how they integrate with the auto headlight setting.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Wtf how do you change the sensitivity of the sensor!!!!!
-Use the Up/Down buttons the the lower right of the steering wheel to select "Customize Settings" in the display.
* Hit "Sel" or whatever just below those buttons

-Figure it out. There are only two or three submenus in there. Go for the one named "Lighting" or something. I can't remember the exact name, but it's the only option remotely related.

·
Capt'n Jack
9,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I wonder why is says 'customize' when you are driving, it doesn't let you use it.
No customizing when driving... :rolleyes: I don't have my manual close, but if I remember right, you have to have the car in park. Safety thing?? Probably.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I wish I could say the same for my other car. My gf left the lights on my 94 hatch (happens when you turn it on for rain, there is no warning lights when you cut it off), and its a pain in the butt to get a good connection with cables on the crz. There is a plate blocking the battery terminal post so you have to get it just right. I tried 2 times and it didnt work. Then tried to push the car down the hill and start it via clutch (gf was driving so I think she panicked and didnt actually have it in gear...or pressing the brakes...) finally on a 4th try I got a spark with the final grounding point. Hope you all dont have to ever use the crz as a jumper!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.