Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It’s September and it’s been a week since I found the CR-Z that I’ve been looking for. And the report is…mixed.

I love the car and how it handles. It was well cared for mechanically and it shows. It’s an off-lease car and those (in my experience) tend to be a mixed bag, though. And this car was not the exception.

The first issue was that there was only one key fob and one aftermarket key without the fob. The aftermarket key may have been a mixup. It didn’t unlock the doors or start the car. One look at the cut, and it was very evident this key belongs to a different lock. The dealer agreed to replace and reprogram a key for free, since it may have been their mix-up. The key fob is not working. It may unlock the driver’s door once, but only once. The passenger door has to be manually locked and unlocked, and the hatch is inaccessible. The actuators sound like they are working every fourth press of the unlock button or so. The dealer has also agreed to look after this and troubleshoot the problem free of charge.

The final issue is the ac compressor. It crapped out less than 24 hours from leaving the dealer. I’m sure this is one of the reasons why this car was turned in. I checked the ac clutch and it doesn’t not need to be reshimmed. I also proactively replaced the ac clutch relay, just in case. Once again, the dealer has agreed to fix the issue. They will take care of all of it, free of charge,on Wednesday.

“Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?” you may ask. After the ac issue propped up, I had my mechanic check the rest of the car up and down and he gave it a clean bill of health otherwise. The battery pack is charging at 98% efficiency, which is great. The electric motor and the gas engine checked out. Tranny doesn’t have any issues. It’s your typical bulletproof Honda in every other sense. Though for now, the wife refuses to ride on it due to lack of ac.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Great looking CRZ. Congrats. Hopefully the dealer will get it all worked out easily for you and quickly have you at 100%. Keep us updated.

·
Administrator
7,521 Posts
The issue with the door locks may be actuators. The setting is one push to unlock which will unlock or lock the drivers door 2 pushes to unlock both and the hatch. Second push to lock all. Hatch lock unlock is on second push. Those are the defaults the page below shows the options from 2013. Hatch should always lock and unlock with the switch on the door along with the passenger side ( all locks).

Another member had a hatch that would never lock and they had to replace the actuator in the drivers door.

Here are the options for door locking from my 2013 manual

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The issue with the door locks may be actuators. The setting is one push to unlock which will unlock or lock the drivers door 2 pushes to unlock both and the hatch. Second push to lock all. Hatch lock unlock is on second push. Those are the defaults the page below shows the options from 2013. Hatch should always lock and unlock with the switch on the door along with the passenger side ( all locks).

Another member had a hatch that would never lock and they had to replace the actuator in the drivers door.

Here are the options for door locking from my 2013 manual
View attachment 64821
Thanks for the info. I’ll give that a try before taking it to the dealer. I’m fairly certain there’s an issue with the passenger door actuator, but it never hurts to try.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wednesday Update: my local Honda dealership checked the car and, as feared, the ac issue stems from a bad ac blower motor. The door lock issue is the passenger door actuator gone bad. Since the dealership included a 60 day bumper to bumper warranty, they will fix the car free of charge. They order the parts and should get them by Friday.

Right now, I have a working ac that quits every third or so time I start the car. A solid whack right below the center-bottom of the glove box gets it going once again. Funny thing is, this is exactly what happened to my first new car, a 1990 Honda Civic. And as you may recall, the original CR-X was based on the Civic. So here I am, 31 years later and having the same problem I once did. Thankfully, not for long, though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sorry to read about the problem that you have to endure for such a good looking car, at least from exterior.
One think good is that it's given warranty and the seller is entertaining all your complaints.
Is it ZF1 model?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry to read about the problem that you have to endure for such a good looking car, at least from exterior.
One think good is that it's given warranty and the seller is entertaining all your complaints.
Is it ZF1 model?
The dealership has been great so far and have honored their 60 day, no questions asked warranty. The exterior is near flawless, without a single dent or scratch. Only some discoloration on some of the black plastic exterior trim, which is to be expected in an 8 year old car. Mechanically speaking, the drivetrain is perfect and the battery pack shows very little wear and tear. Other than the actuator issue and the blower motor crapping out, the car is near perfect. The VIN says it’s a ZF1.

I actually met the previous owner. He was servicing his 2021 Insight when I took the car in. He originally leased the car, kept it after the lease was up and only traded it in because he now has two kids. He actually got emotional when he saw the car. I told him I’d buy his Insight 8 years from now, since he cared so well for the CR-Z.

·
Administrator
7,521 Posts
Some interesting facts On Vins from another posting:
ZF1 vs ZF2?
ZF1 vs ZF2?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts