Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to purchase my first car. I'm stuck between this car because the kid in me loves everything about it, or the toyota aqua which seems to have similar things I want (touchscreen display, parking sensors, overall technology in the car). Whats drawing me to the toyota is the brands reliability. A lot of people I know in ireland swear by toyota and not many people I know have driven a honda to enquire. Long question short, is this a reliable car? I just want something i can spend 4 years or more in with basic servicing. Is the honda cr-z a reliable brand? I would really appreciate any expertise i can get on the matter.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I find it to be a very reliable car. I also believe most cars these days to be reliable if take care of. But in the US Honda is known for reliability.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I understand that most cars these days are reliable, but I'm just anxious that I'll be purchasing this car at the end of its life and it'll give me more trouble than its worth. Its a stunning car, lovely to look at, but as I'm just starting my career after college, I can't afford to pump a lot of money into it to keep it with me another few years. I get how this might be coming off silly to you, since you have no issues with yours and I'm sure you take the utmost care of it. I'm just worried that the 2 previous owners of the car I'm looking at may not have.

·
Super Moderator
6,335 Posts
Not one member has had to replace the IMA battery yet. Many have owned them for over 300K miles It is super reliable. Has a low cost of ownership ( once a year oil changes and they are at 10 k miles or once a year). We have had a few members from your country on here they can tell you better about their experience with the local version of the CR-Z. Please do your research on this site we have a lot of members all over the world and while the CR-Z is discontinued it is still a great car.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I just hit 166,000 miles on mine which is about 267,000 km. It runs good and drive nicely. I fully expect to get another 100,000 miles out of it. It sounds like the Toyota has the technology advantage. Both Honda and Toyota are known for their reliability. I do not know the Toyota Aqua unless it is something different in the US.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I understand that most cars these days are reliable, but I'm just anxious that I'll be purchasing this car at the end of its life and it'll give me more trouble than its worth. Its a stunning car, lovely to look at, but as I'm just starting my career after college, I can't afford to pump a lot of money into it to keep it with me another few years. I get how this might be coming off silly to you, since you have no issues with yours and I'm sure you take the utmost care of it. I'm just worried that the 2 previous owners of the car I'm looking at may not have.

The IMA system and the battery pack aren't service/serviceable items so the only things the previous owners can neglect is basic servicing and replacement of wear and tear parts.

Alot of people seem scared by the relative complexity of hybrids bit it's a honda,put good oil in it regularly and your good 👍

·
Super Moderator
6,335 Posts
You can forget it is a Hybrid. The Toyota is an electric car with Gas engine to extend range the Honda is a gas car with the Hybrid system to extend range. A CR-Z even with a dead IMA battery can still be driven not sure the Toyota is the same as it is more electric than petrol. A CR-Z may need the under hood battery replaced more often than other cars you have owned and needs to be driven at least 30 minutes a month for the health of both batteries.

Common but infrequent repair parts for a CR-Z in no particular order is the IMA Fan, DC to DC converter ( both of these are in the IMA battery compartment and some dishonest dealers have stated that the whole battery has to be replaced to replace these parts that is wrong. They are replaceable), Anti-lock braking module, Outside door handles, Under hood battery.

All vehicles have parts that are common failure items just some are more frequent. These are very infrequent . A very small percentage of owners have had to have these parts replaced. Under Hood battery is IMO a wear out item and not unusual for any car.

The the kilometers for the car you are looking at is very low for the year it is. If it passes all inspections and has no obvious problems it should be a good buy if the price is right compared to comparable cars in the same condition. Use Kelly Blue Book(https://www.kbb.com/), NADA guides (dealers use this one more) Research New & Used Car Prices and other sources to compare this one to the average. Be honest about condition. KBB will list a couple of different conditions and retail and wholesale "values" for the vehicles. As long as you are honest about the condition you can see if the price offered is reasonable or inflated. All used cars are one of one though and these guides are just a tool. As the CR-Z was a low production, niche car and now discontinued you may find the prices are high.

Please report back what you decided and why. If you buy a CR-Z please post in the introduction section and we love pictures!

The IMA system and the battery pack aren't service/serviceable items so the only things the previous owners can neglect is basic servicing and replacement of wear and tear parts.

Alot of people seem scared by the relative complexity of hybrids bit it's a honda,put good oil in it regularly and your good 👍

1 - 8 of 8 Posts