Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3,000_mile_myth

"The 3,000 mile myth refers to a common belief, particularly in the United States, that all motor vehicles should have their motor oil changed at least every 3,000 miles (4,800 km) to maintain their car engine. Efforts are under way to convince the public that this is not necessary and that people should follow the advice given in their owner's manual rather than the advice of oil-change businesses..."

State-says-many-drivers-change-oil-too-often

stop-changing-your-oil

·
Registered
5 Posts
Since we are talking oil changes, how do you jack up your ride in order to have access to do your oil change.

This video is straight forward but I am not particularly sure his method is required (he states he read about it in the forums)

Is it possible to just jack it up from one side, lower it to allow all oil at bottom of pan to drain properly, then jack it up again to replace filter and put oil plug back into place, then remove floor jack to finalize all prior to pouring new oil?

The same youtuber also has a video where he uses 4 jack stands to do the CVT fluid change, it just seems overkill to me but wanted to run it by other owners before I attempted to DIY oil change, and eventually CVT fluid change.

TIA

·
Registered
443 Posts
I use a 2x8 or a 2x10 about 18 inches long in front of my rams to give the car a little lift and then just drive up the ramps as you would with any other car. Without the 2x8 in front of the ramp, it would drag the nose.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I found this helpful

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Since we are talking oil changes, how do you jack up your ride in order to have access to do your oil change.

This video is straight forward but I am not particularly sure his method is required (he states he read about it in the forums)

Is it possible to just jack it up from one side, lower it to allow all oil at bottom of pan to drain properly, then jack it up again to replace filter and put oil plug back into place, then remove floor jack to finalize all prior to pouring new oil?

The same youtuber also has a video where he uses 4 jack stands to do the CVT fluid change, it just seems overkill to me but wanted to run it by other owners before I attempted to DIY oil change, and eventually CVT fluid change.

TIA
He's using the front-center lift point, but he's doing it from the left side of the car behind the wheel (by the passenger side door). Not ideal as then you have the floorjack restricting the left-side jack-stand placement and the lifting is from a weird angle.

There was a good diagram here a while ago (I can possibly dig it up if you want) but the best IMO is to get two pieces of "2x4" (I use about a foot long, 8" wide). Set them in front of both front wheels and drive up on them. Then you have easier access to the front-center jack point from the front. Slide the floorjack in from basically the front license plate, it is a bit far back but you can reach it if you drive up on some wood planks. Then the jack is centered, the lifting is less risky as it's straight-on and once the car is up you have full access to both sides for setting your stands. Takes about 2 minutes.

For the transmission fluid change I'm not sure on CVT, but for 6MT I do lift the rear as well to make the car 'level' again, since the front is obviously lifted and the manual transmission is "fill till it spills". You can get away with doing this with two stands only (on the front) and the floorjack on the rear center lift point, which is the rear tow hook. You'll only be under the front of the car that is solidly supported; as soon as the fill-bolt is tight lower the rear back down.

·
Registered
4 Posts

TIA
Thanks for the video

21 - 27 of 27 Posts