Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am pretty much a noob when it comes to cars I had a concern that i might need to change the oil. I really don't trust carmax since there tech forgot to do a reset when they said they change the oil tire rotation change the air filter. So they finally reset the B123 message that would prompt when your car needs to be serviced. How o ever I am concerned because they told I need to get my oil change at about 73,000 I'm at 73788 and I haven't had any indicators light up for oil .
Plant Automotive tire Asphalt Road surface Tar

·
Premium Member
8,480 Posts
You can always change it early. If the car has the maintenance minder, some selling dealers just reset it and don't actually change the oil. I have advocated for years that all new owners should change all fluids, filters and wiper blades to get a baseline for the vehicle. Then follow minder or mileage. I recommend the brake fluid be changed every 2 years as it accumulates water. I also advocate load testing or replacing the under hood battery and replacing tires if they are more than 5 years old, no matter the apparent condition.

You can change by mileage, minder or time. With pandemic, I change it annually (0W20 semi or full synthetic). Prior to the pandemic, I changed by the minder when it reached less than 10% or by time. It is no longer required to change every 3K miles. Oil changes are a hotly debated topic here. Oil change is still cheaper than an engine. I have found the maintenance minder prompts for an oil change about every 10K miles. But should be changed at least annually. The 2 air filters are very easy to change yourself, same with wiper blades. I order from Amazon.com: Online Shopping for Electronics, Apparel, Computers, Books, DVDs & more or RockAuto for those.

Presume they just reset it and changed nothing, do the maintenance indicated by the B123 also I presume the Service history book is missing or was not filled out. It is very easy from the MID (Multi Information Display) to reset the maintenance minder.

Font Material property Parallel Paper Paper product

If you have a CVT, there is a filter that is listed as a radiator part located on the back of the radiator. That should also be replaced when transmission fluid is.

If any of the books are missing from the glove compartment, or you want a new service history book, you can order those here Honda CR-Z

if you have a 2011-12, you can order the factory service manual here Honda CR-Z 2012 Shop/Service Information

If owner's manual is missing, you can access it online for free here Honda Owners Site | Tips, Tools & Benefits for Honda Owners

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
So I am pretty much a noob when it comes to cars I had a concern that i might need to change the oil. I really don't trust carmax since there tech forgot to do a reset when they said they change the oil tire rotation change the air filter. So they finally reset the B123 message that would prompt when your car needs to be serviced. How o ever I am concerned because they told I need to get my oil change at about 73,000 I'm at 73788 and I haven't had any indicators light up for oil . View attachment 67848
How many miles were on the car when CarMax told you the next Oil Change would be due at 73000? Many dealerships are still on the 5000 mile oil change schedule and some still even recommend the 3,000 Mi interval. Both are outdated by many years. Unless you're beating the crap out of it, your CR-Z is designed to go 10000 miles -give or take a few- in between oil changes when using the proper synthetic oil. Assuming the picture of the oil on the dipstick is from your car and is current it's looking pretty clean yet. Go through the multi information display and see what the oil life percentage is at, you can make a decision from there. Or for peace of mind, just change your fluids and filters, reset all your maintenance binders, and then you know where your starting point is at.

·
Premium Member
8,480 Posts
Never hurts to do it more often, and some are still using the blended oil which the car came with. To my knowledge, there is no 100% conventional oil for 0W20, so you can choose fully synthetic (mine was changed to that first oil change) or the blended oils. As I stated, oil and changes are a hotly debated topic here, and it should be done at least once a year or by the minder. We do have a few members here that use other weight oils and also who change it much more frequently. IMO that is a waste of resources both yours and the planets. Using other than the specified oil IMO is also not a good idea these are very tight tolerance engines and I have to presume the engineers had a very good reason to specify the fluids they did.

You are changing it every, 4349.598 miles? Why? Oil formulations and technology have changed a tremendous amount in the last few decades. There is a lot of science that is now used and what we used to do is no longer needed, especially if you are using full synthetic. The minder does not just track mileage, it tracks many parameters. Why do you not trust the engineers that built the engine and the car?

At least you are changing it.

I change mine (engine oil & filter) every 7,000km irrespective of the oil life indication (which usually is at 40% that time). It is my daily driver.

·
Premium Member
8,480 Posts
If I read his posting correctly, they reset the maintenance minder, everything will be as if it had all services. What he and we do not know is if any of it was actually done. It will show oil life at around 100%. As I have stated many times all new owners should change all fluids, filters and wiper blades, then if the DOT code on tires shows they are 5 years old or older they need to go too. This is what I do with new to me used cars and what I tell family and friends. It makes the cars last longer and takes away all doubt of the condition of the vehicle. Then you can maintain it to factory specifications, following the owner's manual and other published information.

How many miles were on the car when CarMax told you the next Oil Change would be due at 73000? Many dealerships are still on the 5000 mile oil change schedule and some still even recommend the 3,000 Mi interval. Both are outdated by many years. Unless you're beating the crap out of it, your CR-Z is designed to go 10000 miles -give or take a few- in between oil changes when using the proper synthetic oil. Assuming the picture of the oil on the dipstick is from your car and is current it's looking pretty clean yet. Go through the multi information display and see what the oil life percentage is at, you can make a decision from there. Or for peace of mind, just change your fluids and filters, reset all your maintenance binders, and then you know where your starting point is at.

·
Premium Member
6,266 Posts
...and I haven't had any indicators light up for oil . View attachment 67848
Oil still looks clean and golden on the dipstick, so you still have a few more miles before it really needs changed, but an "early" change is always better than a late change.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You can always change it early. If the car has the maintenance minder, some selling dealers just reset it and don't actually change the oil. I have advocated for years that all new owners should change all fluids, filters and wiper blades to get a baseline for the vehicle. Then follow minder or mileage. I recommend the brake fluid be changed every 2 years as it accumulates water. I also advocate load testing or replacing the under hood battery and replacing tires if they are more than 5 years old, no matter the apparent condition.

You can change by mileage, minder or time. With pandemic, I change it annually (0W20 semi or full synthetic). Prior to the pandemic, I changed by the minder when it reached less than 10% or by time. It is no longer required to change every 3K miles. Oil changes are a hotly debated topic here. Oil change is still cheaper than an engine. I have found the maintenance minder prompts for an oil change about every 10K miles. But should be changed at least annually. The 2 air filters are very easy to change yourself, same with wiper blades. I order from Amazon.com: Online Shopping for Electronics, Apparel, Computers, Books, DVDs & more or RockAuto for those.

Presume they just reset it and changed nothing, do the maintenance indicated by the B123 also I presume the Service history book is missing or was not filled out. It is very easy from the MID (Multi Information Display) to reset the maintenance minder.

View attachment 67849

If you have a CVT, there is a filter that is listed as a radiator part located on the back of the radiator. That should also be replaced when transmission fluid is.

If any of the books are missing from the glove compartment, or you want a new service history book, you can order those here Honda CR-Z

if you have a 2011-12, you can order the factory service manual here Honda CR-Z 2012 Shop/Service Information

If owner's manual is missing, you can access it online for free here Honda Owners Site | Tips, Tools & Benefits for Honda Owners
Thanks for this info I'll check if I have it if I don't then I will download.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If I read his posting correctly, they reset the maintenance minder, everything will be as if it had all services. What he and we do not know is if any of it was actually done. It will show oil life at around 100%. As I have stated many times all new owners should change all fluids, filters and wiper blades, then if the DOT code on tires shows they are 5 years old or older they need to go too. This is what I do with new to me used cars and what I tell family and friends. It makes the cars last longer and takes away all doubt of the condition of the vehicle. Then you can maintain it to factory specifications, following the owner's manual and other published information.
Hi fed might just do the oil change this week since my car note is due the 21 then I worry about getting the rest of the fuilds I just know is having good clean oil is important.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When I got from car max I believe it was at 72,780 and this car is my daily and I have been using this car for deliveries.This car is in really good condition and drives very smooth sport mode and padel shifting is fun but iv been using econ now cuz of rising gas prices.

·
Premium Member
8,480 Posts
I drove mine for the first year I owned it in Econ then I started to play with the modes and I found it used less in normal than econ in some situations, but you may find it different. Experiment and see what gets the best in your driving situation. I found having my Scan gauge II » ScanGauge II on the dash and watching instantaneous and average fuel economy, I was able to get even better fuel economy.

Some have stated that they have had more transmission issues when using the paddle shifters. The CVT is pretty good at shifting, and the paddle shifting is using pseudo gears. Leaving it alone, it varies the ratios more as there are no gears per se. Also in econ it does not hold the gear you selected anyway, it only holds it when in sport. Sport also changes the steering feel/ quickness.

·
Premium Member
8,480 Posts
IMO Read online, but purchase it is a better way to have all the books you are maybe missing. I already bought a second Service History book for mine, since I plan on keeping the car for a long time, or till repairs cost more than replacement. Some things are already getting difficult to buy for this model.

Thanks for this info I'll check if I have it if I don't then I will download.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If I read his posting correctly, they reset the maintenance minder, everything will be as if it had all services. What he and we do not know is if any of it was actually done. It will show oil life at around 100%. As I have stated many times all new owners should change all fluids, filters and wiper blades, then if the DOT code on tires shows they are 5 years old or older they need to go too. This is what I do with new to me used cars and what I tell family and friends. It makes the cars last longer and takes away all doubt of the conditi
IMO Read online, but purchase it is a better way to have all the books you are maybe missing. I already bought a second Service History book for mine, since I plan on keeping the car for a long time, or till repairs cost more than replacement. Some things are already getting difficult to buy for this model.
Also how do I check my oil percentage in my CRZ using the minder?

·
Premium Member
8,480 Posts
You can wait till 10 to 15% I see no reason to change it as often as @qorax. He changes it about every 4000 miles, that is very old thinking. Looks like they did not reset or change anything.

·
Registered
123 Posts
You can wait till 10 to 15% I see no reason to change it as often as @qorax. He changes it about every 4000 miles, that is very old thinking. Looks like they did not reset or change anything.
Hi, I do it early for two reasons. And this I do for all my cars. Also I use full synthetic genuine Honda oil.
#1. I have to book an advance appt with Honda. Which takes a week+. And since weekends and holidays we go on long trips ~ my miles could add up substantially.
#2. Above thus, at 15% I may not have the leverage before deadline. And like everyone states, "oil is cheap, engine (plus the headache) is not."

·
Premium Member
8,480 Posts
Many change their own oil, and there is no advantage to Honda brand oil. All synthetics are the same for the most part. But if you wish to over pay by getting Honda oil from a Honda dealer, that is your choice. Even Honda does not make their own oil (see Phillips 66 Signs Agreement as Lubricant Supplier for Honda), it varies by where you are and when you buy it. It is called private branding. Any oil that meets the specification is fine to use, and you do not need to change it as often as you do, you can even drive a few hundred miles past 0% on the meter. I still say you are living in the past, especially considering you are using full synthetic oil. Times have changed, I too was a 3000-mile oil change person, but I looked into it and found I could save some money by not changing it as often and not going for a dealer branded oil. If my car had no minder, then I would see what change interval the owner's manual says.

Let's agree to disagree. Again, oil changes are a hotly debated topic here. My opinion is no better or worse than anyone else's. At least there are options and engineers to help with these decisions.

Hi, I do it early for two reasons. And this I do for all my cars. Also I use full synthetic genuine Honda oil.
#1. I have to book an advance appt with Honda. Which takes a week+. And since weekends and holidays we go on long trips ~ my miles could add up substantially.
#2. Above thus, at 15% I may not have the leverage before deadline. And like everyone states, "oil is cheap, engine (plus the headache) is not."

1 - 20 of 27 Posts