Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not having had a new myself in many moons(my wife's always been the driver of the family since i commute to work), am i still looking at an oil change every 3k or are we on to 5k, or am i really to follow the dash/computer oil meter?

Thanks for any advice...

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I follow the meter in the car. There is a reason why the manufacturers are putting those in cars. I have a 2005 GMC Sierra, with 130K miles on it that has a meter in it as well, I have chosen to use 100% synthetic oil on every oil change. I am pleased with my truck's performance and reliability.
Just curious; how long in miles and months is the interval between an oil change on your Sierra? I've always loved those trucks.

I believe I heard somewhere on here that break-in oil comes in the engine from the factory, and it's best to leave that in 'til the meter says.
Honestly, I believe we're all just speculating and sharing our experiences in that thread. If it's the thread I'm thinking of. Just follow what the car says and you'll be fine. Honda is telling you what to do, essentially. So if it F's up because of an oil problem (OIL, not pump, pick-up, etc. OIL) it's on Honda, as long as you used 0w-20 and a Honda OEM filter.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I believe I heard somewhere on here that break-in oil comes in the engine from the factory, and it's best to leave that in 'til the meter says.
There is no magical "break in" oil. Honda (Acura) issued a media release years ago stating this. Don't get sucked in by rumours.
As for oil changes, there's this wonderful thing called an owners manual.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
200 Posts
Here's the official info straight from the Honda Ownerlink website:

Why should I wait to change the oil the first time?

Your Honda engine was delivered with an oil that is specially formulated for new engines that have not yet developed their "natural" wear patterns and may contain minute particles from the manufacturing process. American Honda strongly recommends this special oil be left in the engine long enough for these wear patterns to develop, usually until the first maintenance interval specified in your Owner's Manual, based on your specific driving conditions.

How often should I change my oil after the first service?

Refer to your owner's manual for the recommended service intervals. Separate maintenance schedules are listed for "normal service" and "severe service." Read the description of severe service carefully. Most vehicles will fall under the normal service category. Note that the service intervals are listed by time in addition to distance. Your oil should be changed at whichever interval, time or distance, occurs first. There is absolutely no benefit in changing your oil more frequently than recommended in your owner's manual. This will only increase your cost of ownership, and create an unnecessary burden upon the environment by increasing the amount of disposed oil.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I followed the maintenance meter in the car and did my first oil change when it was at 10% oil life left. For me that was at about 9200 miles. Apparently the warranty required mobil1 synthetic which was fine as I was planning on that anyway. It's more expensive, but if I only have to change the oil every 9000 miles or so it's well worth it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.