Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My salesman just called me up and informed me to have my first complimentary oil change and inspection at 5000 miles regardless of maintenance minder.

I tried quickly skimming through my owner's manual and did not find where they recommended the first oil change or when. I probably will go with the salesman recommendation but any suggestion would be helpful. :popcorn:

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Isn't there some kind of break in additives in the first oil from Honda?

·
Registered
270 Posts
I would do it about 2000-3000km cuz it is not very good to run break-in oil for that long. The break-in oil will cause the engine to have higher chance to burn engine oil down the road.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would do it about 2000-3000km cuz it is not very good to run break-in oil for that long. The break-in oil will cause the engine to have higher chance to burn engine oil down the road.
Thank you. My thought was pretty much on the same link as you and Shatner but Dealer don't recommend changing them early. Oh well, I will change them out at around 2000 miles.

Oh hold on you said kilometer. Which means I have to changed it out around 1242-1864 miles. Wow that low huh. I guess it's fine since I will be using cheap oil for awhile so the engine break in better. After that it will be Mobil 1 all the way.

Thank you all again. :wavey:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Google "Honda break in oil" and you can spend hours reading the pros and cons of changing the oil before the car tells you to, I ended up changing the oil on my 2010 Insight at 7,850 miles when it told me to, and the oil was still a honey color and I will wait to do the same on my CR-Z.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Google "Honda break in oil" and you can spend hours reading the pros and cons of changing the oil before the car tells you to, I ended up changing the oil on my 2010 Insight at 7,850 miles when it told me to, and the oil was still a honey color and I will wait to do the same on my CR-Z.
Honestly, oil is usually good, or doesn't start breaking down 'till around 7k-10k miles on normally driven cars in good conditions (like low dust, low heat, etc.) It's the oil filter that only last 5Kish. I'm surprised it wasn't black.

I plan on changing mine at 3k.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I am guessing the affect of the break-in oil on hybrid cars may be different. My friend used to have a MY00 S2000 and the dealer told him to him to do the first oil change at 6000km but my friend really babied his car so he did it at 2000km and the oil was black as mud when we drained it!

IMO, Mobil 1 doesn't work very good on Honda high revvs engines especially VTEC, the oil breaks down fairly quick and the symptom is, the oil gets black very quickly. This will cause oil consumption down the road.

Most of the Honda engines that I worked on, 99% of them didn't have luck with Mobil 1.

Just my 0.2 cents.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I am guessing the affect of the break-in oil on hybrid cars may be different. My friend used to have a MY00 S2000 and the dealer told him to him to do the first oil change at 6000km but my friend really babied his car so he did it at 2000km and the oil was black as mud when we drained it!

IMO, Mobil 1 doesn't work very good on Honda high revvs engines especially VTEC, the oil breaks down fairly quick and the symptom is, the oil gets black very quickly. This will cause oil consumption down the road.

Most of the Honda engines that I worked on, 99% of them didn't have luck with Mobil 1.

Just my 0.2 cents.
I've used mobil one in my last 3 hondas with no problems. I've used it in my rsx-s for 5 years now. I use mobil 1 because reg oil would burn up in these high revving motors. Mobil 1 in, no more burning oil. It will start to turn dark around the 5-6 month mark with 3000 miles though. But yeah, i'm having the opposite reaction that you have seen.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts

Just my 0.2 cents.
What's your opinion on Motul or Amtecol's fully synthetic Superlife 9000m oil?

I really prefer how a car runs on synthetic. Maybe it's all in my head, but the engines I've run exclusively with synth have been smoother at higher mileage vs. dino oil.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I've used mobil one in my last 3 hondas with no problems. I've used it in my rsx-s for 5 years now. I use mobil 1 because reg oil would burn up in these high revving motors. Mobil 1 in, no more burning oil. It will start to turn dark around the 5-6 month mark with 3000 miles though. But yeah, i'm having the opposite reaction that you have seen.
My, and a lot of other's '04-'07 Subaru STi burned oil right off the showroom floor. About a quart/3k miles. It was just something we had to deal with and check regularly. I didn't mind checking it, though; I do at every fill-up anyway.

Guess what it burned the most? Mobil 1. I know it's good oil. I've run it in my '01 Lightning and my '68 Z/28 with great success. But some motors just don't like M1, specifically.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Just my 0.2 cents.
AJ, I like your advice because on my last Honda Accord I'd used Mobil 1 Syn and it did seems to consumed oil but I thought it was a fluke. I traded it in for the CR-Z :p.

In your opinion what would be better to use? :popcorn:

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
AJ, I like your advice because on my last Honda Accord I'd used Mobil 1 Syn and it did seems to consumed oil but I thought it was a fluke. I traded it in for the CR-Z :p.

In your opinion what would be better to use? :popcorn:
I just asked about Motul and Amtecol. It may be overkill, but it's just extra insurance, imo.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Not sure if anyone noticed but this CRZ isn't exactly a "high revving Honda engine." When you're not in sport mode the car wants you to shift at under 3k rpm's (at least in my 6MT.) At 6500 rpm redline (which is hard to even get there in econ or normal modes) I don't think it's a point to worry about. I'm sure Mobil 1 or any other good synthetic oil will work just fine in this car....I use Pennzoil Platinum in my Mazdaspeed 3, (another good oil product.) As far as early oil change, to each his own I guess but when the manufacturer recommends 5k service that's good enough for me. I'll be using a synthetic from the first change over at 5k...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Oil doesn't typically break down. Modern oils are particularly resilient to heat and shear stresses. Mostly, they just become laden with combustion particulate byproducts and clog the filter. Probably not to the point of starving the pickup pump, but it will cause higher oil pump loads.

Try Motul X8100 for Synths. I run 5w40 in the STi and even without an oil cooler mod, the turbo engine doesn't have oil pressure problems. I can't imagine what the guys with a pan cooler do to their cars to require 5w50.

·
Capt'n Jack
9,499 Posts
Oops another oil thread.

Oh yea, watch the dealer if you take it in at 3K or 5K for their "Free" first oil change. Did it with my Civic Hybrid in 07 and after driving out, noticed the sticker stated it was changed with 5w20. I called em up and they stated it was a mistake, but..... 5w20 Dino (fossil) is mucho cheaper than Synth 00w20 if your taking it in to a shop or oil change place.

After the first change - I think a part of being green (that is in part why we have a hybrid) and a bit cheaper depending on your driving habits is to use the maintenance minder. I have about 1.8K miles and still show 90% on my oil life indicator. Used Mobile 1 in my Previous Civic Hybrid exclusively. Would usually change oil when the Minder showed about 40% or so left. Primarily because of time. Usually about 6 months before it got to 40%. Started feeling a bit vulnerable on 6 month old oil. But, each time I had it changed, the oil still looked pretty good with no burn off. Granted the Civic was in perpetual econ mode, but the Mobile 1 seemed to do its job as long as you have a filter something like the Mobil 1 Extended Performance Oil Filter and willing to pay 15bucks for it. There are other good ones out there. Pretty important to ensure you spend the few extra dollars if your going to do what I do and use the Maintenance Minder. Still cheaper and more green than doing it every 3-5K miles. Filter is important.

Scott

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
I plan to do a 2k - 3k oil change on the break in oil because im driving in whats considered harsh conditions - lots of stop and go, snow, winter mix gas etc.

On that first oil change i am switching to Pennzoil Ultra Synthetic oil. My tsx ran much better with the Pennzoil Platinum and Ultra is supposed to be the new best oil Pennzoil has. I avoid other synthetics because i had a good experience with Pennzoil and its easy to find. my 2 cents

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.