Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Page 34 in Dec issue of Import Tuner has a review of the Rs-R Run Up oil optimizer.
RS-R Run Up Oil Optimizer

(Sorry, can't find an online posting of the article with dyno results. I'll see if I can scan my iPad article)

Are these types of mods worth the investment, especially considering they are not a one time expense?

-Hoi

·
Premium Member
3,097 Posts
This stuff reminds me of the days of "Slick 50". It was the be all end all of oil additives. They had demos on T.V. with cars running with out oil and the host actually dumping sand into the motor while it ran with no harmful effects:rolleyes:. The question is, where is it now if it was so great?

With today's oils there is actually very little wear when running. Most of your wear is on start up and with the CR-Z it uses a special kind of oil to deal with its hybrid technology and its start/ stop feature. So I would say this stuff is an oil alright- snake oil that is.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
bobistheoilguy.com

^ more info about oil and additives than you could ever want. i personally wouldnt put in any additives. If you use a top quality synthetic you should be fine without any of these.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Thought I would make it a little easier to read! :hi5: Finding it was not easy...:rolleyes:

Thanks CRaZee!

bobistheoilguy.com

^ more info about oil and additives than you could ever want. i personally wouldnt put in any additives. If you use a top quality synthetic you should be fine without any of these.
:yeahthat:

The 'mysterious dry powder lube' is most likely graphite powder. I'd be weary of any oil additive. They can do a lot of harm in factory tubocharged vehicles. A guy I knew on NASIOC had serious engine trouble from a top rated additive (can't remember which).

I would just stick with what the factory said. If this shit was so great, OEMs would be adding this to their oil, already.

No thanks.

·
Capt'n Jack
9,499 Posts
Noooo.
:cry:Having a Harley 2up 03 anniversery edition black 1200 XLH Sportster and a member of the Sportster Digest since 03, oil threads are taboo. :rolleyes: The argument primarily Dino (fossil) verses Syn etc., and of course additives.

I'm no engineer but think as long as your running a good 00w20 synthetic, nothing else is needed. In fact it is recommended you use your maintenance minder for oil changes as opposed to the 3 month/3k mile rule. Also a part of being green and a bit cheaper depending on your driving habits. I have about 1.8K miles and still show 90% on my oil life indicator.

Oh yea, watch the dealer if you take it in at 3K for their "Free" first oil change. Did it with my Civic Hybrid in 07 and after driving out, noticed the sticker stated it was changed with 5w20. I called em up and they stated it was a mistake, but..... 5w20 Dino (fossil) is mucho cheaper than Synth 00w20 if your taking it in to a shop or oil change place.

Scott

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.