Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
With these gas mileage ratings the car is a failure. Hybrid is supposed to mean great gas mileage and these figures are non hybrid numbers. Unless thew CRZ is priced at less than $20K it is D.O.A.

It is still an attractive package to me, because I love 2 seat cars, but the primary market for 2 seaters is for more sport than this car delivers with 122 hp. Still it could have had a chance at success if it delivered 40 MPG plus, but at 31/37 why bother with the hybrid complexity and weight. These figures are the biggest disappointment of this car.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I agree. I am hugely disappointed. I have posted comments on here in the past that warned if Honda comes out with a High MPG low performance CRZ then it will fail... Unfortunatly it looks like they did worse by making it low performance (relative to other 2-seaters) AND low MPG (relative to other hybrids).

I'm sure it will handle like a champ, but is that enough?

Here are some things that keep my hopes up:

-The only 0-62mph figure we have seen was from Japan and stated 9.7s, but did not specify if that was for MT or CVT. Something I read (I believe the Car and Driver article from today) stated that the 6-MT is going to be "geared for performance in gears 1-5, and for economy in gear 6." This could potentially mean the 6-MT ("SPORTY") version could go 0-60 in as low as 8.5s (Same as a 1991 CRX SI). Nothing official has been released on that yet.

-The car makes a net torge figure of 128 lb-ft at 1000-1500 RPM... If you have ever seen a dyno from a standard Civic, or Honda Fit, you know that those cars make HALF as much torque in that same rev range. That makes me think this CRZ might be an absolute blast to drive, regardless of straight-line numbers.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Not Good MPG

Here are the official North American MPG numbers for the Honda CR-Z as reported at the 2010 North American International Auto Show

MPG w/ 6 speed: 31 (city) / 37 mpg (hwy)
MPG w/ CVT: 36 (city) / 38 (hwy)

Any reactions or surprise?
I had a 97 Del Sol; drove it for 264,000 miles in upstate New York; averaged over the entire 264,000 miles was 37 MPG. See: Miles per Gallon Graph Introduction

I had one bad section when one sensor was not reporting when the engine was warm & I ran it for several weeks before my Son-in-Law diagnosed & fixed the problem.
See: early 2004

G

·
37 MPG <> 25km/L

What i don't understand, on the picture seen before detroit, they spoke about 25km /l (cvt) or 22.5 km/l, -> that's not 37 mpg... it's 58 ! :drool:(http://www.pege.org/fuel/convert.htm). I've heard, Honda has lost some trials in the U.S., some customers complaint for the high consumtion of the Hybrid civic. I think they care about those informations now.

·
Registered
66 Posts
My first response was that the 31/37 seemed a bit low for a hybrid, but the thing we have to remember is that the CRZ was introduced as a MILD Sport Hybrid. By that description I would say that the CRZ is both a Mild Hybrid and a Mild Sports car. The CRX wasn't much quicker when it was introduced. I read another article today that stated that the handling of the CRZ is like a Go Kart (from a Honda source to the press). Handling has always been a strong suit for Honda. http://www.which.co.uk/news/2010/01/honda-cr-z-hybrid-coup-debuts-in-detroit-194347

My 2000 Insight only has 73 hp and 91ft lb torque and it pulls like crazy (5 MT) from a start. Has anyone ever driven a hybrid from Honda, it's a very different drive, almost like driving a car with a turbo.

Some times it's not what you have, but rather how you're able to use it that counts.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Still really not sure about these numbers, one day I'm ok about them then the next day I am worried about them again. Not sure what to say but just wait....I love everything else about it expect the power and the MPG...fingers are crossed that its gonnna be a blast to drive. The article stating it drives like a go kart is promising, do you have a link to that article CR-Z Insight?

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Also what will the numbers be in the normal and sport modes. If that is what you get when you baby the car how about just normal driving?
That's really the big question we have yet to have answered. Are these numbers for the econ mode or maybe is this the MPG numbers for normal modes?? We will have to wait and see.

·
Registered
6 Posts
EPA regulates that the car is tested in normal mode. If you're looking to get more "realistic" numbers, you'll have to wait for an edmunds test or car and driver. The insight is rated at 40, but realistically gets 51. I would expect that numbers would be similar if you drive the cr-z in eco mode. In normal I would guess around 46 combined. You have to realize that the way honda puts their technology into their hybrids, it is not allowed to be properly tested by the EPA due to the 2008 regulation changes for hybrids.

About that poster in the background, that is probably A LOT closer to actual numbers because it's not going to be under the same guidelines in the US, it will be honda test numbers.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I went to the autoshow this last thursday. The car looks great, no complaints in looks. Also, from what i could see, the dash looks really neat.

Now, the thing that i cant get over are the numbers. I am not even talking about the mpg I am talking performance. A 0-62 of 9.7 seconds. I see that someone mentioned that maybe the manual will be faster, and i hope their right. A BASE model civic has an 8.5 second 0-60. I would expect any car that is supposed to be a "performance" vehicle to be able to beat something like a base model civic. I will keep my mind open, and keep reading updates.... but i really hope that the stats & reviews get better.

My current opinion is that if you are used to driving a Prius or other hybrid then yes this car will seem amazing. If you are used to driving..... well pretty much anything else, this car will seem lack luster at best. OR maybe if you like live in a large city and never try to accelerate past like 40 mph then it will seem fun??? but I cant imagine taking a 9.7 second car on a fun country road and actually have fun.....

Currently I am thinking that I will go for a fast and fun Civic Si with its mid to upper 20 mpg instead of yet another hybrid that is incredibly slow.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I went to the autoshow this last thursday. The car looks great, no complaints in looks. Also, from what i could see, the dash looks really neat.

Now, the thing that i cant get over are the numbers. I am not even talking about the mpg I am talking performance. A 0-62 of 9.7 seconds. I see that someone mentioned that maybe the manual will be faster, and i hope their right. A BASE model civic has an 8.5 second 0-60. I would expect any car that is supposed to be a "performance" vehicle to be able to beat something like a base model civic. I will keep my mind open, and keep reading updates.... but i really hope that the stats & reviews get better.

My current opinion is that if you are used to driving a Prius or other hybrid then yes this car will seem amazing. If you are used to driving..... well pretty much anything else, this car will seem lack luster at best. OR maybe if you like live in a large city and never try to accelerate past like 40 mph then it will seem fun??? but I cant imagine taking a 9.7 second car on a fun country road and actually have fun.....

Currently I am thinking that I will go for a fast and fun Civic Si with its mid to upper 20 mpg instead of yet another hybrid that is incredibly slow.
I went to the show today and I agree: The car is pleasing in person. I would like to see it with some wider 17" rims and sitting about 1" lower, but those changes will be very easy to make.

Regarding the 0-62 in 9.7s: The numbers don't make sense for the USDM model. The Fit, with a 5-mt, goes 0-60 in 8.5. It weighs about 89 lbs less than the CRZ, and has less HP and much less Torque. EXACT same story with the base Mini Cooper. Also the Civic Coupe weighs slightly more, has slightly more HP (no addtl torque though) and did 0-60 in 8.04s in one major magazine's testing.

The CR-Z will have a 6-mt with "gears 1-5 tuned for acceleration, and gear 6 tuned for economy" -(KBB CR-Z video on YouTube). That will give Honda the opportunity to make the 1-5 ratio's even closer than those in the Fit or Civic. Also: the 0-62 is based on the JDM with the extra weigh of a back seat. 0-60 (not 62) would be more like 9.5, minus the seat and extra safety gear, you are at about ~9.4.

Therefore, if the CR-Z tested was a JDM Automatic in "regular" mode, then the number does make sense. *The Cooper, Civic, and Fit, in Auto trim, all go 0-60 in over 9.5s.*

If you want to do 0-60 in a reasonably quick ~8.5s, get the CR-Z w/ 6-MT. I guarantee it will be that quick. If you would rather get better MPG, get the CR-Z Auto/CVT and deal with 0-60 in ~9.4s

As for the Prelim Est on MPG, check out Motor Trend's video on the 2010 Insight.. It has an EPA 41mpg combined, yet driving it easy in Econ mode yielded 64mpg average in testing.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Thanks for the info about the show guys.

Really built up my hope again for the car, some which was lost on the specs. If thats true what you say about the 0-60 time rd11, thats even more gas on the fire.

Any get their own personal pictures and wanna post 'em up? Any other cars that you really liked at the show?

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
I read all over the web about the mpg isn't great for the CR-Z, etc... what I NEVER see anyone mention is the lower CO2 from this vehicle while still being able to beat/match some gasoline "competitors" as per EPA standards... this car is AT-PZEV and none of those other cars (fiesta, mini, etc) can say that... not to mention it's already clear that the EPA testing is harsh to Hybrid technology b/c of they way they have to be tested... real world we'll easily see 40+mpg on these cars with the 6MT... CVT will easily get closer to 50+...

·
Registered
122 Posts
Thanks for the info about the show guys.

Really built up my hope again for the car, some which was lost on the specs. If thats true what you say about the 0-60 time rd11, thats even more gas on the fire.

Any get their own personal pictures and wanna post 'em up? Any other cars that you really liked at the show?

I placed a few of my personal pictures into my profile, but they said "moderated" when I first listed them. That was last week, so they should show up in there by now.

Also, @BizzyBear, I agree about your CO2 comment. This vehicle, regardless of EPA Estimates on MPG, will be extremely clean in terms of emissions. The point of my previous comment on this thread was that the car will be quicker than 9.7s, and will also get better MPG than the Preliminary EPA Estimates (in other words, I agree with you on that as well).

If the car handles as well as Honda intends it to, then everyone will forget about all of their current on-paper complaints. Based on all the Honda/Acura products I've driven, I would say the handling should be superb. Plus, as with their other "sporty coupes" they will likely have a nice HFP lineup consisting of nicer rims, sport suspension, and ground effects. Accord Coupe and Civis Si Coupe have HFP, so I'm sure this will too.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.