Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Liverpool red CR-Z ex
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted another thread asking about some noise I'm getting from the zed when putting it into drive. I think the issue is I wacked a piece of lorry tyre on the motorway as I couldn't avoid it and when the car is in drive, it's causing the exhaust to hit a heat shield or something. I'm gussing at this as normally I have the stereo on before I pull away from home. I just happened to notice it before I put the tunes on a couple of days ago.

Right now I'm driving it with the utmost tlc until I get it into the shop next week for a cvt flush and a good look underneath. I'm in full on fingers crossed mode as when I intially took it to the local Honda dealer, they said new gearbox $7025 fitted (insert Vic Dibitetto look).

My question is. Does the OBD system montior the gearbox and if so, what does it monitor. There are no cel warning at the moment. I haven't put my scanner on it to see if there are any codes that it has tripped yet.

·
Registered
Liverpool red CR-Z ex
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was referring to if the info screen would show anything. I have an Audel AL519 so it's probably not good enough?

·
Don't abuse the report button
2,411 Posts
there are a couple of codes for major faults that will show up on a generic obd2 scanner. but you definitely need the HDS clone in order to get minor fault codes from the CVT.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
That Autel seems to be a basic OBD scanner. Autel does make a more fancy scanner like the MX808 or MS906 that would be considered an HDS clone. Foxwell also makes an HDS clone scanner but it is limited to a single make of vehicle that you choose. I think that is the Foxwell NT510.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
The heat shield bolted to the half shaft/'intermediate shaft' housing is one known rattling issue. The crappy steel-wool-looking bushing/washers are fragile and degrade over time causing the shield to rattle.

·
Registered
Liverpool red CR-Z ex
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The other thing is. If there was something really wrong with the gearbox, would I not get a CEL?

·
Registered
Liverpool red CR-Z ex
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Will this one do the job?

If it will, I can send the Audel back for a refund.

·
Registered
Liverpool red CR-Z ex
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cheers mate. I'm not bothered how much two way it has. I just want to be able to roll up to a garage and say this is the problem.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
I can attest to the foxwell scantool. It does bi-directional scanning. I was even able to put my E-park brake in service mode when I serviced my rear brakes on my 16 CRZ. It can do a full system health scan and a generic code scan.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Cheers mate. I'm not bothered how much two way it has. I just want to be able to roll up to a garage and say this is the problem.
I can tell you the issue is likely not the CVT. I owned a CVT CRZ for 5 years and you will definitely know there is a problem if you start to notice erratic slipping or shifting patterns. Each time my CVT blew I had 2 or 3 codes show up on my scan tool and one of them was some CVT speed sensor code. The rattling you are experiencing is likely either the axle heat shield or the 2nd catalytic converter heat shield. If you don't have any active trouble codes and the CVT appears to be shifting normally than I wouldn't worry too much about the rattling.

Reactions: neoshed

·
Registered
Liverpool red CR-Z ex
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Cheer tikeybun!

I'm pretty sure that the exhaust got bent a bit when I hit that piece of tyre. It was at least at 65mph but I thought I had enough clearance. To be on the safe side, I know the cvt fluid was getting low, I've book it in at the same dealer for a flush n fill as they called me to say the recall part they ordered was in.

I'm going to take it to a garage just around the corner from me and have them look under the car. When I was driving it today, I could feel the vibration from the rattling so I'm convinced its not the gearbox.

If the local place does find the exhaust hitting something, I'm going to go back to the dealer and have a word in the service manager's shell like.

·
Registered
Liverpool red CR-Z ex
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm weighing up on the scan tool. I've been having a convo with Peter and I've found netbooks for under $100 so depending on the cost of a hds clone, it might be the better route.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
I'm weighing up on the scan tool. I've been having a convo with Peter and I've found netbooks for under $100 so depending on the cost of a hds clone, it might be the better route.
My Foxwell scantool cost me $178 and it does pretty much everything. I was able to replace a faulty steering angle sensor and perform the steering angle recalibration with the scantool. I also used the tool to put my rear e-park brake in service mode when I changed out my rear brakes. It does full system health scanning and can do bi0directional scanning so Its worth the money. You can also add other vehicle makes to the scantool for about $90 for each make.

·
Registered
2012 honda cr-z base 6spd
5 Posts
I posted another thread asking about some noise I'm getting from the zed when putting it into drive. I think the issue is I wacked a piece of lorry tyre on the motorway as I couldn't avoid it and when the car is in drive, it's causing the exhaust to hit a heat shield or something. I'm gussing at this as normally I have the stereo on before I pull away from home. I just happened to notice it before I put the tunes on a couple of days ago.

Right now I'm driving it with the utmost tlc until I get it into the shop next week for a cvt flush and a good look underneath. I'm in full on fingers crossed mode as when I intially took it to the local Honda dealer, they said new gearbox $7025 fitted (insert Vic Dibitetto look).

My question is. Does the OBD system montior the gearbox and if so, what does it monitor. There are no cel warning at the moment. I haven't put my scanner on it to see if there are any codes that it has tripped yet.
The foxwell obdll scanner has gear learn function and also transmission including cvt

1 - 20 of 21 Posts