Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having an issues trying to use my ELM327 OBD adapter and the Torque Pro Android app.

The adapter connects and works for only about 10-20 seconds at a time before all of the readouts on the dashboard freeze and stop updating, If I wait another 10-30 seconds they start working again.

The adapter seems to always be receiving power because the lights are always on however the orange light which I presume is the 'data' light goes out when the readouts freeze. I have tried numerous combinations of changing the adapter settings within the app and changing the protocol used etc, and still cannot get it to work.

Has anyone had this issue before and if not, what OBD adapters and apps are you using? I have seen other threads where people used an OBD adapter succesfully. I am therefore considering buying either another adapter or, if neccessary the Scan Gauge ii.

·
Super Moderator
4,958 Posts
Unfortunately there are many postings about Bluetooth OBD II dongles not working, not being reliable and I think one where it caused damage to the car. Mixed in with all that there are a few that work. As you have probably discovered I am the owner of a Scan Gauge II which was moved from my previous car and hooks up using an actual cable and I have had 0 issues reading codes or using most of its features. Some of the optional X-Gauges do not work to read some of the Honda Hybrid & CVT Specific items but I will have to make sure I entered the Hex codes properly there is no keyboard so it is an up down enter kind of thing. As I do not own a smart phone, I like a self contained device.

Good Luck.
I hope a consensus is found that specifies one that works and the App to use with it. I hope they do not say "buy this one" from E-Bay or Amazon without specifying a manufacturer, specific model and how to identify it to make sure it is the same one that worked.

Has anyone tried any of the OBD II scanners from Harbor Freight? They seem to have a wide range of them at all kinds of prices.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunately there are many postings about Bluetooth OBD II dongles not working, not being reliable and I think one where it caused damage to the car. Mixed in with all that there are a few that work. As you have probably discovered I am the owner of a Scan Gauge II which was moved from my previous car and hooks up using an actual cable and I have had 0 issues reading codes or using most of its features. Some of the optional X-Gauges do not work to read some of the Honda Hybrid & CVT Specific items but I will have to make sure I entered the Hex codes properly there is no keyboard so it is an up down enter kind of thing. As I do not own a smart phone, I like a self contained device.

Good Luck.
I hope a consensus is found that specifies one that works and the App to use with it. I hope they do not say "buy this one" from E-Bay or Amazon without specifying a manufacturer, specific model and how to identify it to make sure it is the same one that worked.

Has anyone tried any of the OBD II scanners from Harbor Freight? They seem to have a wide range of them at all kinds of prices.
Thanks for your reply. I have ordered a scan gauge ii as so far I am quite confident it will work properly. I did quite like using my phone as a display though; since it has a bigger, clearer screen than a scan gauge.

·
Super Moderator
4,958 Posts
All options require compromises. Mine is mounted dead center of dash below my radio with cable coming from the passenger side. I passed it behind the Console on the floor and Velcro cable tied some of the extra length. Some of their newer devices look interesting and you can daisy chain them. I replaced their tape with heavy duty 3M Velcro like tape and remove the unit when car is in for inspection or service.

As I stated in my particular car some of the X-Gauges I programmed are not giving useful information.
Thanks for your reply. I have ordered a scan gauge ii as so far I am quite confident it will work properly. I did quite like using my phone as a display though; since it has a bigger, clearer screen than a scan gauge.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All options require compromises. Mine is mounted dead center of dash below my radio with cable coming from the passenger side. I passed it behind the Console on the floor and Velcro cable tied some of the extra length. Some of their newer devices look interesting and you can daisy chain them. I replaced their tape with heavy duty 3M Velcro like tape and remove the unit when car is in for inspection or service.

As I stated in my particular car some of the X-Gauges I programmed are not giving useful information.
It would be nice if I could get the X-Gauge function to work to see data about the IMA system but if not then I won't be bothered. I just want it to work for the majority of engine related OBD stats.

·
Super Moderator
4,958 Posts
It would be nice if I could get the X-Gauge function to work to see data about the IMA system but if not then I won't be bothered. I just want it to work for the majority of engine related OBD stats.
Give it a try and let me know as I may have entered something wrong.

·
Registered
210 Posts
A lot of the ELM327 adapters are junk- don't read into it being the car or the app. I went through three of them when I was working on a bluetooth project.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
UPDATE:
I bought an OBDLINK LX Bluetooth adapter.

It works perfectly, the response rate/refresh rate of all the data is very fast and it never cuts out or fails to connect.

I can continue to use Torque Pro on my Pixel 3 so I'm happy that it's nice and convenient to use.

If anyone wants to use OBD data on the CR-Z I would highly recommend this adapter.

·
Super Moderator
4,958 Posts
I thought you bought a Scan Gauge II I was looking forward to finding out if I input the X-Gauges incorrectly. If you are happy and have the data you want then that is all that matters. :)

UPDATE:
I bought an OBDLINK LX Bluetooth adapter.

It works perfectly, the response rate/refresh rate of all the data is very fast and it never cuts out or fails to connect.

I can continue to use Torque Pro on my Pixel 3 so I'm happy that it's nice and convenient to use.

If anyone wants to use OBD data on the CR-Z I would highly recommend this adapter.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I thought you bought a Scan Gauge II I was looking forward to finding out if I input the X-Gauges incorrectly. If you are happy and have the data you want then that is all that matters. :)
I did buy a ScanGauge ii, it arrived on Monday actually.

I decided that I wanted to try the LX too because I I would rather continue to use my phone than set up the ScanGauge on the dash.

I also thought I would prefer the display on my phone since it is bigger and most likely brighter than the SG. That and the fact that the SG costs over twice what I paid for the OBDLINK!

·
Super Moderator
4,958 Posts
I did buy a ScanGauge ii, it arrived on Monday actually.

I decided that I wanted to try the LX too because I I would rather continue to use my phone than set up the ScanGauge on the dash.

I also thought I would prefer the display on my phone since it is bigger and most likely brighter than the SG. That and the fact that the SG costs over twice what I paid for the OBDLINK!
Now you have spent money for 3 devices. But if it works for you that is all that matters.
As I said in my case I have no smart phone and the SG was bought for my other car and the Speed Bump inherited it. In my case it is fully depreciated.

enjoy your data.🙂

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Now you have spent money for 3 devices. But if it works for you that is all that matters.
As I said in my case I have no smart phone and the SG was bought for my other car and the Speed Bump inherited it. In my case it is fully depreciated.

enjoy your data.🙂
I have sent the SG back so should get a refund on it. My old OBD adapter was only £12 so I'm not bothered about that

I don't mind paying for products that work well and are reliable!

·
Super Moderator
4,958 Posts
I have sent the SG back so should get a refund on it. My old OBD adapter was only £12 so I'm not bothered about that

I don't mind paying for products that work well and are reliable!
My SG has been 100% reliable and told me the code for the Crank Position sensor that failed I used that information to avoid diagnostic charges and has provided lots of trip data and I look at it every day. It is also helping me keep an eye on my under hood battery. My Garmin GPS is also 90% Reliable and used every day.

But our situations are different. I have no smart phone( they are too expensive when you add in the monthly cost of the plan to support it) , don't want one and I already had the SG.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts