Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Honda Press Releases - American Honda Reports November Sales Increase of 16.1 Percent - December 01, 2010

Honda PR said:
American Honda Motor Co., Inc., posted November sales of 89,617 vehicles, an increase of 16.1 percent based on the daily selling rate*, the company announced today. American Honda year-to-date sales reached 1,100,864, an increase of 5.9 percent versus last year based on the daily selling rate.

Honda Division posted November sales of 78,899, an increase of 15.9 percent versus last year. The Accord was the top-selling Honda model for the month with sales of 19,025, up 5.8 percent, followed by the CR-V with sales of 18,263, up 25.4 percent, and the Civic with sales of 16,562, up 16.3 percent. The all-new 2011 Odyssey continued to build momentum in its second full month of sales with 8,805 units, up 31.7 percent. Overall, Honda Division light-truck sales increased 24.7 percent to 38,802 and car sales increased 8.5 percent to 40,097.

"Our Acura Division sales continue to be strong, led by red hot year-to-date sales of our MDX and RDX SUVs," said John Mendel, executive vice president of sales for American Honda. "And with the newly released Odyssey minivan and CR-Z sport hybrid selling well, we look forward to a good year end."

Acura Division posted November sales of 10,718, an increase of 17.1 percent versus November 2009, and year-to-date sales reached 118,117, an increase of 24.6 percent. The MDX was the top-selling Acura model for the month with sales of 4,191, up 15.9 percent. Acura TSX sales totaled 2,589, up 16.7 percent, followed by the TL with sales of 2,431, up 13.1 percent.
1,024 CR-Z's for November 2010

American Honda Reports November Sales Increase of 16.1 Percent -- TORRANCE, Calif., Dec. 1, 2010 /PRNewswire/ --

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
edited/fixed that post for ya ;)

so a total of 4,373 CR-Z's were sold since going on sale at the end of August... if you do the math that's 1,457.6 for 3 months of sales... which is right on target for the CR-Z... but since the car went on sale at the end of August with about 7-8 days of selling left you have to sorta count that as a full month... which bring it to 1093.25/month... multiplied by 12 months and that is 13,119... less than 2k under the estimated 15,000 figures... that's not too bad... especially if you consider that most people seem to want the 6MT but there are tons of CVT's CR-Z's sitting on the lots... and Honda is producing them in the ratio of 3:1 or 75% CVT's to 25% 6MT's...

·
Registered
693 Posts
My analysis of November sales results for the CRZ is that this was not a very good result. I say this because it represents a significant decline in sales from September and October results. And mostly because the media blitz that Honda made for the CRZ in late September and October probably cost $50 to $100 million and it did not result in any increase in sales. Absent this advertising, I expect the CRZ sales will fall below 1000/month.

Also I would note that there are more than 3000 CRZs on dealer lots today and this would represent a 90 day supply at current sales rate. But the good news for us owners is that we will not soon be seeing a flood of CRZs on our streets and we get to drive unique cars.

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
so what you're saying is to hold onto the CR-Z b/c it will eventually sell like those classic Cobra's/etc for +$1Million?? i'm game :popcorn:

i really think Honda would do better with this car if they make more 6MT's than the CVT... according to your info, TCroly, what is the percentage of CVT's to 6MT's on the lots? or if you know the percent of sales for each of those?

·
Premium Member
3,097 Posts
My analysis of November sales results for the CRZ is that this was not a very good result. I say this because it represents a significant decline in sales from September and October results. And mostly because the media blitz that Honda made for the CRZ in late September and October probably cost $50 to $100 million and it did not result in any increase in sales. Absent this advertising, I expect the CRZ sales will fall below 1000/month.

Also I would note that there are more than 3000 CRZs on dealer lots today and this would represent a 90 day supply at current sales rate. But the good news for us owners is that we will not soon be seeing a flood of CRZs on our streets and we get to drive unique cars.
This is what I noticed...... Anytime you have a "trendy"/ "cute"/ Unique"/ "interesting"- choose you addictive, car such as the MINI, Porsche, Smart, and even the Delorian you have a number of "sneak peaks", "sightings" and other routes of advertising to get the word out such as Movies and TV programs, commercials, "secret" unveilings, Hot Wheels and Match Box and toys like 1/24 Matsio. Other than Auto shows and real weak commercial blitz there is nothing for the CR-Z. What media reviews it did get from just about every car review magazine and show out there has done nothing but kicked the CR-Z in the lug nuts.

Remember I also said along time ago this is the time when Auto sales drop because of the holiday season. We also have the bonus of a weak economy that is filled with nothing but uncertainty and gas prices are still relatively low.

To me it seams Honda could do more but is not willing too.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I think that although excellent, the CR-Z is not really the car for the average American.

I believe it will sell much better in Europe and Japan where we like driving smaller, cooler cars even if they are not overpowered.

From what I have seen so far in Europe, people LOVE the CR-Z! I hope Honda will be successful here!

·
Registered
666 Posts
i really think Honda would do better with this car if they make more 6MT's than the CVT...

I agree with this, and I don't think it will ever be a strong seller in the states... It is a two seater, which in essence makes it a "sports"-like car. The CVT does not fit well with that, nor does the 1.5L engine. Although I think it is a super fun car, most Americans who want a sports car expect more power. If they wanted a practical hybrid, theres plenty of other 4-seater options.

The uniqueness and uncommon nature of the CRZ is partially what attracted me to the car, though.

·
Premium Member
3,097 Posts
i really think Honda would do better with this car if they make more 6MT's than the CVT... according to your info, TCroly, what is the percentage of CVT's to 6MT's on the lots? or if you know the percent of sales for each of those?
I agree with this, and I don't think it will ever be a strong seller in the states... It is a two seater, which in essence makes it a "sports"-like car. The CVT does not fit well with that, nor does the 1.5L engine. Although I think it is a super fun car, most Americans who want a sports car expect more power. If they wanted a practical hybrid, theres plenty of other 4-seater options.

The uniqueness and uncommon nature of the CRZ is partially what attracted me to the car, though.
I have to disagree here, respectively of coarse. For the last twenty years the whole car and truck industry has drifted and switched mostly towards automatics because the vast majority of customers prefer it. Even your high end sports cars have gone auto and in some cases there autos shift faster than any human can do in a manual. I think low sales are contributed mostly to what I have stated earlier and something I forgot to add was it is a two seater which there is low market for regardless of manufacturer and when I went to pick up the C-REX (new name for the CRX) at the dealer there was no brochures or even an accessory pamphlet in the accessory pamphlet rack even though it had a CR-Z poster at the top and every other make Honda manufacture had a stack in the rack. This has been the way of my dealer since day one of CR-Z sales. Also my dealer has sold all of its CR-Z's but now is no longer stocking the CR-Z on there lot and has not for almost a month now and they have removed "CR-Z" from there "New Car Inventory List" drop box on there web site. Whether it is because of low sales or low inventory I don't know but none of that can or will be good for sales at my location.

Something too to add to the CR-Z competition for a sporty two seater with good gas mileage is MINI next year is coming out with a two seater sport coupe and convertible/ roadster both in standard model and "S". Honda might have to step it up with a "Si" or "R" along with advertising to compete.

I find it heart breaking and disturbing what Honda is doing or in this lack of doing with the CR-Z in reviewing there history with the CR-X, Del Sol and Gen 1 Insight.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Honda hybrids are creeping up in sales. Gas is over $3.00 average in CT. If it creeps up I'm predicting a rise of hybrid, crossover, and small car sales combined with a decline in light trucks & SUV's. The media likes to crow that big thirsty cars are back in style but that may end up just a passing fad.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.