Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there fellow CR-Zers!

My hubby was driving my girl last night & asked me if the manual had any advice on when we should use the different driving modes, didn't find much.

So I'm coming to the forum for advice, how do you typically use the different driving modes?

Sorry if this question has already been asked, I'm a newbie :)

Regards,

Vicki T.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Normal city, Econ for freeway. But some times. Just through it into sport mode and just play. The car was designed to have fun with it. Turn off the MPG reading by just having the tempeture up and just play. The worst gas mileage I have had yet was 29-30 driving around in sport mode all day.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Normal city, Econ for freeway. But some times. Just through it into sport mode and just play. The car was designed to have fun with it. Turn off the MPG reading by just having the tempeture up and just play. The worst gas mileage I have had yet was 29-30 driving around in sport mode all day.
God I envy you. I'm pulling about 25MPG right now and I leave it in ECON mode maybe 85%-95% of the time. Sport mode is used for passing cars on the Interstate, getting on to the Interstate, and for quick turns into parking lots. I leave my car in normal till she warms up then its straight to Econ. 25MPG.

·
Capt'n Jack
9,499 Posts
God I envy you. I'm pulling about 25MPG right now and I leave it in ECON mode maybe 85%-95% of the time. Sport mode is used for passing cars on the Interstate, getting on to the Interstate, and for quick turns into parking lots. I leave my car in normal till she warms up then its straight to Econ. 25MPG.
Something is definitely wrong there. Whether driving habits or other. You can look at other MPG threads here and get a feel.

I am in Sport Mode most the time with a short 7 mile commute to work. Getting 34mpg or so here in the winter just on the short commutes. Engine barely has time to warm up before I pull into the work parking lot. Hop on the highway and easily get 38-40 without working it and higher if I work it in Econ.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Im also in that boat. If i drive the car normally like i drove my civic (450-525 km / tank) i get piss poor fuel economy like 25ish mpg. Its also below freezing every day in canada so warming up the car for 5 or 10 min can mean 1 or almost 2 mpg depending on how recently you refueled.

So far the highest ive gotten is 43mpg trying. Im usually in the low 30s high 20s depending on the temperature and if i let the car warm up.

I kinda figure poor mpg is a winter thing. Im not too worried about it.

I drive normal 90% of the time. Split sport and eco 5% each.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I started out varying the modes until I noticed that for the most part the mpg display to my eye seemed to change very little between the various modes, and mainly with acceleration. I now keep it in sport mode over 90% of the time, where its definitely more fun to drive and through about 2000 miles of driving now am averaging about 38 mpg. Mileage is down a bit now with subzero temps past week or so, but overall I plan to keep it in sport most of the time now. I know it seems a bit contrary and counterintuitive (almost sinful???) that sport can still give you good mileage but that's my experience. I wish that sport were the default mode.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
my tanks are always between 28 and 32 MPG. I dont take long trips.

Im also in that boat. If i drive the car normally like i drove my civic (450-525 km / tank) i get piss poor fuel economy like 25ish mpg. Its also below freezing every day in canada so warming up the car for 5 or 10 min can mean 1 or almost 2 mpg depending on how recently you refueled.

So far the highest ive gotten is 43mpg trying. Im usually in the low 30s high 20s depending on the temperature and if i let the car warm up.

I kinda figure poor mpg is a winter thing. Im not too worried about it.

I drive normal 90% of the time. Split sport and eco 5% each.
agreed 100% on mpg

Getting sub 30 mpg is definitely driving in a very inefficient manner. Going into sport mode for turns into a parking lot???
i am not an inefficient driver nor am i a hypermiler and i have the same results as the previous posters. If i take long trips i can get up to 36 or 37 but thats not the norm for me.

I keep my car in Normal. I never use ECO because the highways etc are either usually a slight grade up or down. In eco im shifting like a madman to get up the grade and conserve fuel / battery. In sport im watching the instant MPG guage go up and down and in normal its much easier to modulate.

I put it in Sport maybe 10% of a tank usually

·
Registered
208 Posts
In eco im shifting like a madman to get up the grade and conserve fuel / battery. In sport im watching the instant MPG guage go up and down and in normal its much easier to modulate.
This doesn't make a lot of sense to me. How does the throttle response curve affect which gear you need for a certain hill? Sport certainly makes it harder to go up an incline and loose a little speed in the process, but ECO doesn't give less overall power...

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
This doesn't make a lot of sense to me. How does the throttle response curve affect which gear you need for a certain hill? Sport certainly makes it harder to go up an incline and loose a little speed in the process, but ECO doesn't give less overall power...
On the highway i can keep the car up to speed in normal with a light touch on the accelerator. In eco you have to dig into it more. It feels unnatural IMO unless the road is flat.

If you keep your foot at one spot on the accelerator at constant speed and in normal and switch between all three modes youll see what i mean. In Sport youll be accelerating, In normal youll maintain speed and in eco you'll slow down.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Getting sub 30 mpg is definitely driving in a very inefficient manner. Going into sport mode for turns into a parking lot???
I feel I should clarify. You know when you are sitting in the middle lane waiting for a break. That is when I hit the Sport mode. I don't have to give the car the extra half second to get across the lanes of traffic.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Normal for normal driving, econ when stuck in stop/start traffic and sport for overtaking and hill climbing.

I am averaging 46 mpg.

That's British gallons. :D

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.