Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it me, or does Normal seem to give better MPG than Econ?

I forgot to put it in Econ a couple of times and found myself surprised at how the numbers seemed to be trending better.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I too have a 6mt and in my experience there doesnt seem to be much difference at all between any of the modes, including sport. Not nearly as much as that between length of trips. I drove with my wife 260 mi trip this weekend almost exclusively in sport and averaged 40.6 mpg. I now keep mine in sport almost exclusively where its more fun to drive anyway. Trips < 10 mi find it hard to average more than 30 mpg no matter which mode.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I use Normal mode almost all the time averaging about 40 mpg per tank for the last few tanks. I only use Econ mode in wide open flat freeway cruising and some bumper to bumper traffic situations.

I found using econ mode during everyday driving frustrating because it was hard to keep pace with flow of traffic without accelerating hard. Using normal mode allowed getting to a cruising or coasting speed easier, depending on the traffic flow.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I find that Econ is far superior in traffic speeds that are 65 and below. Once you start pushing 70+ and trying to keep up with the flow of traffic than Normal would be better.

But I do find that when I am stuck in traffic that goes slow, Econ provides me the best MPG than any other mode can give on flat surface at around 42+ MPG a trip. Compared to when im cruising in Normal at 70+ I am pushing the upper 35s MPG a trip.

·
Registered
78 Posts
After a couple of thousand miles -- most of them on the infamous Santa Monica Freeway -- I'm starting to think that Econ is at its best in urban slow-and-go traffic. But I'm still experimenting at this point.

·
Registered
208 Posts
My early thoughts on this are that the best mode depends on the average throttle position. Low speeds (30mph) econ probably gives the flattest throttle response, but maybe in the 50mph sort of range, the throttle response is actually steeper than you would get in normal. Flatter response for steady state should mean more uniform power delivery and presumably better MPG.
The ECON throttle response curve ought to be speed dependant if it was going to help most.

·
Registered
298 Posts
The only time I'll use econ is when I hit cruise control at freeway speeds. Let the car know that I want it to do its thing and just be efficient.

I'm another that tends to get better mileage in normal and sport when I'm in control, though. I forgot to check the exact trip MPG after my, ah, spirited drive in to work this morning, but the 'per start' meter was one pixel shy of 40 when I was getting off the freeway. I can't complain about that.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm almost always in Normal, with a few exceptions in Sport when I need quicker throttle response, but I'm averaging around 40mpg's. I intended to try Econ on my next road trip, but I forgot, so I'll have to try that out next time...

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
ECON 99% of the time and I have gotten over 43 MPG on the past two tanks. Lifetime average of 41+.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Don't know why, but on the gentle hilly highways around here, sport is the best for MPG. Just got back from a relatively long drive.. tried all 3 modes for a while.. Normal and econ were getting me about 30-33mpg. Sport got me up to a steady 40mpg.
Even going up hills the MPG meter doesn't drop as much.. Going up a hill in econ or normal, and my MPG goes down to about 20.. stayed up in the 30's in sport.
(Should mention I was driving about 70-75 the entire time. 6mt.)

Are we SURE there's no difference in the way the engine runs in sport? I don't understand how only throttle response can make these differences.. Even cruise control shows me the same results.. and logically, if throttle response is all that's different, cruse should be exactly the same in any mode.

·
Capt'n Jack
9,498 Posts
Don't know why, but on the gentle hilly highways around here, sport is the best for MPG. Just got back from a relatively long drive.. tried all 3 modes for a while.. Normal and econ were getting me about 30-33mpg. Sport got me up to a steady 40mpg.
Even going up hills the MPG meter doesn't drop as much.. Going up a hill in econ or normal, and my MPG goes down to about 20.. stayed up in the 30's in sport.
(Should mention I was driving about 70-75 the entire time. 6mt.)

Are we SURE there's no difference in the way the engine runs in sport? I don't understand how only throttle response can make these differences.. Even cruise control shows me the same results.. and logically, if throttle response is all that's different, cruse should be exactly the same in any mode.
Yea, it is hard to figure out sometimes. I also (at times) get better MPG in sport here in hilly Puget Sound. My amature theory. RPMS stay up a bit. If you're taking it easy in sport when going up a hill, you get some pretty good assist from the IMA, when going down a hill, your RPMs are still pretty high (as compared to Norm/Eco) and that excess energy quickly recharges the IMA (coupled with braking). On certain roads, this seems to be my experience. In Sport, the IMA stays pretty much charged 80-100% and is quick to assist.

Not always the case. I still only do around 34MPG in SPORT on average, but have definitely seen much better on some roads.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I'm going to have to try sport mode more often after reading this.

With the hills around here I've found it better to have it in normal than econ on local roads. The car just slows down too much on the up hills. On the highway econ seems fine.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I think that the difference is the balance between ICE and the IMA. So, in Normal you get, for arguments sake, an even balance between ICE & IMA. In Econ the bias is shifted to IMA and in Sport you get the maximum of both. I think this is why we see the IMA charge drop quickly under load in Econ compared to Normal - the IMA is doing a bigger proportion of the work in Econ.
I see it as just throttle mapping but consider that there are effectively two throttles, one for ICE and one for IMA, and it is how they are paired together that changes with the mode.
This is just my opinion of course but that's how I think it works.

·
Registered
149 Posts
From what I've been reading ... I think the effect of the different driving modes depends A LOT on how you actually drive.

The way some folks drive, they don't see a change at all.
The way others drive, the change is huge.

I think this needs some research. :p

·
Registered
170 Posts
From what I've been reading ... I think the effect of the different driving modes depends A LOT on how you actually drive.

The way some folks drive, they don't see a change at all.
The way others drive, the change is huge.

I think this needs some research. :p
Agree.

·
Registered
183 Posts
From my experiences, I have been getting slightly better mpg in sport mode. I do almost exclusively city driving. My theory on it is that in sport mode, you get up to cruising speed faster, therefore you get to your most efficient mpgs faster. Whereas in econ, even though you are accelerating more smoothly, you are spending more time with less efficient mpg. I think that they kind of offset each other.

I don't know if that makes any sense to someone who knows more about cars, but that's just my speculation.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Time to dig out another thread :)
I do six mile trip one way, temperatures outside are between 3-8C (37-46F) now.
1) Driving in NORMAL until low temp indicator will be gone at 52C (125,6F) and move to ECON for the rest of the trip. While in ECON hot air turned to HI mode. Coolant temperature won't go higher than 72C (161,6F) because auto-stop working in traffic. The usual consumption in this conditions is 29MPG (UK).
2) Today I stick to NORMAL and left ventilation in LO. The coolant temperature gone up to 94C (201,2F) in traffic and average MPG was 32 (UK).
What I'm thinking is, that in ECON engine has no chance to reach the optimal temperature, because it's shutting down many times in traffic and this can affect consumption as well as general wear of the engine because I'm sure, that the oil also isn't warm enough in this case.
I definitely switch to NORMAL when temperatures outside are low.

·
Registered
2014 CR-Z, Base, CVT
462 Posts
Time to dig out another thread :)
I do six mile trip one way, temperatures outside are between 3-8C (37-46F) now.
1) Driving in NORMAL until low temp indicator will be gone at 52C (125,6F) and move to ECON for the rest of the trip. While in ECON hot air turned to HI mode. Coolant temperature won't go higher than 72C (161,6F) because auto-stop working in traffic. The usual consumption in this conditions is 29MPG (UK).
2) Today I stick to NORMAL and left ventilation in LO. The coolant temperature gone up to 94C (201,2F) in traffic and average MPG was 32 (UK).
What I'm thinking is, that in ECON engine has no chance to reach the optimal temperature, because it's shutting down many times in traffic and this can affect consumption as well as general wear of the engine because I'm sure, that the oil also isn't warm enough in this case.
I definitely switch to NORMAL when temperatures outside are low.
Don't you think that setting the air to high has more impact that setting the car to ECON? I live in a community and I have to drive about 300m (100ft) at about 24 km/h (15 mph) before I reach the street. When I use the A/C, or no heat at all, the low temp indicator shuts off right as I'm about to enter the street, but using the heat, especially to defog the windshield, makes the indicator stay on for much longer, it usually only turns off after accelerating to 80 km/h once or twice. Maybe try setting the heat to Lo in ECON mode.

also, as far as I know, the auto stop doesn't kick in when the engine is cold or hot.

Reactions: TNThomas

·
Registered
29 Posts
Ventilation turned to heat setting really affects coolant temperature which really annoys me in this car. It take so much time to get it to at least 70C (158F) when I can feel a bit of heat going out from vents. It's almost like driving a diesel. My previous vehicles were warming up more quickly.
I'll stick to NORMAL on my commute and compare this with previous fuel consumption.
Maybe try setting the heat to Lo in ECON mode.
I'm sure Lo in ECON will help but I'm freezing all day at work and don't want to freeze in a car as well :) Maybe will use heated seat more often...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts