Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First and foremost, I am an idiot!!!

Got to work today after feeling a bad moon on the rise when I woke up. Promptly got into my workplace garage, with its narrow parking spaces. Backed up as I have many times since owning my precious CR-Z, and hit my rear driver side bumper on the corner of the red-painted concrete post, and now have a friggin vertical gash with red paint on the corner of my bumper. I am sooooo p-o'd at myself... had just washed the car yesterday, and have been babying it since I love it so much. And I thought the paint chip on the hood I found while washing it was bad!!!

Will take pictures and post later once I'm home, but I'm presuming it won't be fixable and I'll need a new bumper unless I'm willing to put up with an unsightly gash.

Miserable Monday. I feel like crying. :cry::cry::cry:

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
First and foremost, I am an idiot!!!

Got to work today after feeling a bad moon on the rise when I woke up. Promptly got into my workplace garage, with its narrow parking spaces. Backed up as I have many times since owning my precious CR-Z, and hit my rear driver side bumper on the corner of the red-painted concrete post, and now have a friggin vertical gash with red paint on the corner of my bumper. I am sooooo p-o'd at myself... had just washed the car yesterday, and have been babying it since I love it so much. And I thought the paint chip on the hood I found while washing it was bad!!!

Will take pictures and post later once I'm home, but I'm presuming it won't be fixable and I'll need a new bumper unless I'm willing to put up with an unsightly gash.

Miserable Monday. I feel like crying. :cry::cry::cry:
that sucks, bro! I can empathize.. I dinged the bottom of my front bumper on a high concrete parking curb and gashed it pretty good. I am going to use it as an excuse to by some body enhancements (for the car!.. not me!)

Thinking those HKS CF side lips
Bulletproof Automotive and maybe the front lip too.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Damn. Sorry to hear that about the bumper.

My future wife had the CRZ on Saturday. Someone in an SUV hit the rear of the CRZ and kept on going. If I were in the car, I would have gotten the plate of the SUV. However she did the smart thing and stayed safe.

I will need to spray the bumper. Probably cost around $300 to fix... or use this as an excuse to get a Noblesse diffuser and exhaust.

That will cost much more, and I'd still need to spray the bumper... Let's see what happens shall we?

·
Registered
886 Posts
Dougal, is there really a gash to the black bumper, or is it only bad looking covered in red paint marks?
I've seen some damage that looked like the car had been scraped to the undercoat, but really it was just paint from the other object. Some polishing compound took it off and was almost as good as new.

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
:yeahthat:

if it's just red paint from the other thing on there, then you can just clean it off with some compound and polish...

you should DECIDE to feel better otherwise you might attract other bad things to you for the entire day and you won't be a happy camper... i know it's bad but **** happens...

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the emotional support and empathy/sympathy, gang. I'll post some photos later. Most of it appears to be just the red paint on the bumper, on both the upper and lower parts (you know how it's sort of bi-level). At least one area looks like the bumper itself was gashed... as if an imprefection in the concrete post gouged into the bumper and cause the plastic to bunch up into a small spot. I'd characterize it as some paint rub-off from the post, some scraped areas, and at least one gouge. :sadwavey:

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
photos of my stupid, stupid mess-up (WARNING: NOT PRETTY!) :eek:hmy: :thumbdown: :puke: :scared: :cursing: :pat:

view one of the whole area

view two of the whole area

upper edge of damage-- note the black and the "wrinkled" bit on the upper left edge

damage at the edge of the bumper that sticks out the most-- note the black streak where I presume it gashed off the silver paint

Went to a local auto body place and the old timer there thought it was fixable and could be buffed. When I asked him a ballpark estimate, he said $500-600, it will take two days, but it's cheaper than a new bumper. Also have a call in with my auto insurance company, whose claims adjuster is supposed to call me tomorrow. Hoping y'all had some opinions based on the photos. My insurance deductible for collision is $500, so I'd probably only go that way if a whole new bumper is the best solution. Thoughts?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
:police: $500-$600 :eek:mg: DO NOT TAKE IT BACK TO THAT GUY!!!

and personally i'd stay away from insurance with this one... no need to get them involved at all...

most Honda bumpers are ABS Plastic and do not come painted that's if you're buying new... and my guess would be they are around the $200-$300 range, again BRAND NEW!! and paint, i'm sure you can find someone to paint it for under $100 if not, maybe $150... going that route, you will have a BRAND NEW painted bumper for under the price that thief wants to charge you...

i used to do bodywork for several shops and that does NOT need a new bumper... a little bit of sanding and some putty will make it smooth again, then it just needs paint... any body/paint guy will know how to do this and won't charge u nearly that much to fix... the most i'd say you should spend to fix it is $200... and that's really pushing it...

personally i'd try to get off what i can as far as the red paint goes... the black spots is the actual bumper plastic and that for sure won't buff out and will need paint... but if you can live with the few black spots you see, then i wouldn't even worry about it...

if you were down here i'd send you to my friend that would fix and paint that for like $75...

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
My insurance deductible for collision is $500, so I'd probably only go that way if a whole new bumper is the best solution. Thoughts?

Thanks.
I'd call your insurance company and ask about the threshold for surcharges on claims. If the total claim is under a certain ammount you may see no negative impact to your premium. Worth asking over.

·
Registered
693 Posts
All the red paint will buff out with ease. That is something that you could do on your own. With a little advice from the forum, if you have no experience at it. After you buff out the red, you can see what damage you are left with. If you can live with the damage left, you are done.

But I suspect that you will still have a couple places where all the original the paint is completely gone and a couple deep gouges. These could be touched up, but you will always see it and it will likely bother you every time you look at it.

The only way to completely fix these will be to replace the bumper cover. At that point to do the job right and get the paint matched and the new cover put on straight you will be at $500 to $800, depending on where you live. Submit it to your insurance and you will have to pay the $500 deductible, but it should not affect your rates since the insurance payout will be less than $500.

Sure there will be a fly by night shop who will tell you they can do it for less, but it likely won't be perfect either in fit or in paint match and finish. And again it will bother you for as long as you own the car.

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
All the red paint will buff out with ease. That is something that you could do on your own. With a little advice from the forum, if you have no experience at it. After you buff out the red, you can see what damage you are left with. If you can live with the damage left, you are done.

But I suspect that you will still have a couple places where all the original the paint is completely gone and a couple deep gouges. These could be touched up, but you will always see it and it will likely bother you every time you look at it.

The only way to completely fix these will be to replace the bumper cover. At that point to do the job right and get the paint matched and the new cover put on straight you will be at $500 to $800, depending on where you live. Submit it to your insurance and you will have to pay the $500 deductible, but it should not affect your rates since the insurance payout will be less than $500.

Sure there will be a fly by night shop who will tell you they can do it for less, but it likely won't be perfect either in fit or in paint match and finish. And again it will bother you for as long as you own the car.
maybe i'm just a huge fan of DIY and i have too many connections but i will never pay $500-$800 for scratches on a bumper...

and as i before, a BRAND NEW bumper isn't that expensive... in fact here is the OEM Bumper MSRP

as you can see it's $336.00 if you go directly to the dealership to order... now depending on your salesman, you can probably get him to give you an employee discount on getting that which will drop it to their cost on the bumper... i can't say exactly how much that is but expect it around $200 or so...

but like i said in my first post, you DO NOT NEED A NEW BUMPER... if your bumper is cracked or dented really bad then maybe a new bumper would be the better option... but any "gouges" can be fixed at any shop making it look like new... like TCroly said, don't go to a crappy shop and expect great work, some are good but some just hide their crappy work really good and unless you know what to look for it's really hard to tell... with silvers, the easiest way to spot crappy work is they usually have scratches that appear to be under the paint...

if you have a local Honda dealership with a body shop, just take it to them OR you can ask your salesman if they can recommend a good shop to take it to...

·
Registered
59 Posts
I am so sorry about the bumper. DO NOT feel bad!! It can happen to anyone. The labor is what drives the cost up if you have the bumper replaced and painted but that may be the way to go if you want an unblemished bumper. Keep us posted! I want it to work out to your satisfaction! :)

·
Registered
106 Posts
I feel for you man. If it helps in 07 bought a loaded alabasterer silver accord. Had it maybe a week and backed into the frigging gate post in my own yard. 900.00 estimate. We are have our moments. I was arguing with my other half , mad jumped, threw ir in reverse , brain said wheres post???? BAM!!!! My gate post.... Tree trunk size. Feel better man. It was the same spot as yours except (coupe) pushed that sucker in under the taillight and took a chunk out the split was soooo bad. How's that for a blonde moment. Lol!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for advice and suggestions, all. Have a time set up w) insurance company's shop tomorrow morning and will ultimately decide then. They indicated that my insurance premium will not be impacted (wife and I have had clean driving records and no accidents/claims for a long, long time), so if my $500 deductible gets me a new bumper that keep the silver beauty looking brand, spanking new, I may very well go that way.

I'm not at all handy, don't have buddies with the right skills, don't know one body shop's reputation from the next, and absolutely don't want to end up being dissatisfied if it gets buffed, puttied, repainted and doesn't look quite right. I know, it's unrealistic to think the car will look new forever, but I know my eye will be perpetually drawn to that spot as a red badge of doofusness if it gets repaired and ain't perfect! Bumper repair (versus replace) may still end up being what happens based on the insurance company looking at it tomorrow, but I figure if their own on-site shop does the work and I'm not happy with it, I'll probably have more ability to complain and make sure they get it right. We'll see! :popcorn:

Let this be a lesson to you all to be extra careful with your babies!!! :eek:

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
sounds good to me... if they do happen to replace the bumper for a brand new one, make sure they put an OEM Honda bumper on it, as there are cheaper companies that make good quality aftermarket parts for every car but they still aren't the 'real' thing if u know what i mean... actually putting non-OEM parts on the car will affect resale value too...

keep in mind in either case of fixing or getting a new bumper, it will have to be painted and metallic paints are easy to notice if someone did a good job or not... if anything post a few pictures once u get it repaired and i should be able to tell if the paint was done good or not...

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.