Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So when I pull up on the parking brake, no clicky noise and the handle won’t stay up. 2011….any others had this issue and if so, what was the fix? I hate to tear into it if others can point me in the right direction first. TIA

Tom

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
This may or may not help...

·
Registered
304 Posts
Sounds like the button or the pushrod inside the handle is stuck. Sounds like the locking pawls are being held off the ratchet.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Remove it and look? Could be full of spilled soft drink? Could just have something wedged in at the end between the lever and button?

What does the button feel like? Should freely move in and out with a light spring resistance to push the button back out.

·
Administrator
7,679 Posts
Something has failed or is out of position. You might try the adjustment procedure or you may have to replace it or parts of it.

This may or may not help...
To replace just the lever it is these part numbers and you can look up other related part numbers at Genuine OEM Honda Parts and Accessories Online - Honda Parts Now. IMO replacement is a last resort it just needs to be looked at and adjusted or repaired with individual parts that are damaged.
Rectangle Azure Font Parallel Circle

·
Administrator
7,679 Posts
Others will correct me if i am wrong but I believe it is lubricated with white Lithium Grease. Please report back as to what you find.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Others will correct me if i am wrong but I believe it is lubricated with white Lithium Grease. Please report back as to what you find.
Yeah just about any grease would do (no WD-40 though noobs, that's not a lubricant!). Since the handle won't stay up I say OP can disregard the factory service manual handbrake adjustment procedure for now since obviously the springs on the rear calipers are present and working and the brake cable isn't binding or getting stuck.

It's been a long time since I've taken one apart but typically the ratchet mechanism is on the handbrake assembly covered by the molded rubber boot; the button pushes on a rod inside the handle that connects to a hinged plate, that moving plate acts as the ratchet pawl. I suggest pulling the console around the handbrake, pulling the boot back (or unbolting the assembly if necessary) and look up under the boot to inspect the function/condition of the ratchet mechanism.

And our friends at Redline currently have a used assembly in stock if it comes to that. But even in those photos which are quite good you still can't see the ratchet mechanism.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good data. It’s gonna be a few weeks before I can tear it apart. Had to hit the road to earn a living. I’ll pull that console up and see what appears to be causing the issue. Might be something as simple as the button is just stuck in, but doubtful if nobody else has had that happen to them. Thanks for all the advice. BTW, doesn’t WD-40 fix everything?

·
Registered
1 Posts
it's not safe to drive without the parking brake. The handbrake is mainly used to bring a car to an oblique stop, when you want to release the brake pedals or in parking situations.

·
Administrator
7,679 Posts
No, it is simply a parking brake. In a situation where it is not working it is safe to drive the car just make sure you take all other precautions to prevent a roll away. It is supposed to be used only in parking situations, never for any other purpose.

Your posting below is simply wrong. The main brakes should be used to stop the car and there is no situation where you would not use the brakes and use the parking brake. The parking brake only controls the rear brakes and is 100% mechanical and will not stop the car. Another recent posting the poster got into trouble because they tried to use the parking brake when their foot slipped off the main brakes. They should have simply put their foot hard on the main brakes.

Using the parking brake for anything other than parking is dangerous. There have been some very complicated postings telling people to use the parking brake in traffic to prevent auto stop for instance. This is very unsafe and can get you killed.

We have hill holder and other technology in the car so I do not understand your reference to oblique stop.

It is a Parking Brake that is all and if not locking in the up position it should be fixed to prevent the roll away situation especially if a manual transmission car.

it's not safe to drive without the parking brake. The handbrake is mainly used to bring a car to an oblique stop, when you want to release the brake pedals or in parking situations.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts