Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dealership supposedly "reserved" a pre-production CR-Z in August with the specs I wanted. The car was manufactured on 9/11 (easy to remember). I have read that delivery is 3 weeks but I haven't heard a peep out of the dealership as yet. I checked with them 2 weeks ago and that is when they showed me the VIN (couldn't record it though) and gauranteed that they would let me know when it shipped or any other data they had. My experience in the past with other foreign manufacured auto's has been 8 weeks total time from order to delivery. Any one know what is "usual" time from production to delivery in the states?

Thanks for any feedback.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Should take no longer than 6 weeks. I got my Subaru STi in ~6 weeks, on the slow boat. After my first fell off!

If they told you 3 weeks back in August, I'd let them know that you need PROOF that it's shipped. Not just a VIN, but a shipping/freight confirmation. If they still give you crap, let them know they have 48 hours to get confirmation or you'll take your business elsewhere.

You can get a CR-Z today if you want. As long as your needs aren't a rare combo.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Should take no longer than 6 weeks. I got my Subaru STi in ~6 weeks, on the slow boat. After my first fell off!

If they told you 3 weeks back in August, I'd let them know that you need PROOF that it's shipped. Not just a VIN, but a shipping/freight confirmation. If they still give you crap, let them know they have 48 hours to get confirmation or you'll take your business elsewhere.

You can get a CR-Z today if you want. As long as your needs aren't a rare combo.
Eeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!! Not great news!!! I will be paying the dealership a visit Tuesday. I am used to having salesmen quit before my cars can be delivered but this time even the dealership was bought out! I left $500 on deposit but I don't think a new dealership wants a serious enemy. If I smell a rat Tuesday I'll start pushing.

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
ok, first off... all of the dates they give you are just estimated days... the only estimate I would pay attention to is the day they get the VIN#... once they have that then the car is FOR SURE being built and the car should arrive to wherever you are in the US in around 21days from the date of start (date of VIN#)...

you got the VIN# from them 2 weeks ago, then the car should already be on its way... it's not a German car, usually those cars have a 6-8week, from start, delivery... i'm not sure about other JDM cars but Honda usually has a 3 week, from start, delivery...

again those are estimates only and might arrive earlier than that or a few days after... the dealer has no control over exact delivery date... i find that dealerships will sometimes tell you more to keep you wanting to get the car but this info they tell you might not always be accurate...

if i were you, when i get to the dealership and if the car isn't there yet ask them... EXACTLY when the car was started being built... you can calculate the estimated arrival date from that they give you... but if you got the VIN# 2 weeks ago, that's probably when THEY got it too and you should expect it in about a week...

·
Registered
693 Posts
My car was supposed to have been produced the week of September 7. The vin is 4620. It was delivered to my dealer in Hawaii on October 11. To get to Hawaii the car had to first go the the west coast and then get shipped back to Hawaii, so this September 7 production car probably got to the west coast around October 3.

Someone posted on this forum that they bought serial number in the 5000s, that car was probably produced around 9/15 or so. Therefore if your car was indeed produced on 9/11, it should be at the dealership by now.

·
Registered
145 Posts
9 weeks is about right. (5 weeks of that on the boat to get here, having been loaded at the beginning of the last week in August)
Ordered mine 3rd week in July, delivery taken 5th October. The UK Vin last 4 numbers start with 94** (yes, really!)

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
i just realized something... i have to make a change in what i said above about being delivered in 3 weeks... my initial comment was directed to Honda's in general... but i forgot while i was posting that most US Honda's come from either Ohio, US or Canada... the Japan-built Honda's like the Fit (i believe) might take longer than the 3 weeks to arrive... i don't know the time on those :wavey:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, went back to the dealer today. Basically a waste of time. My third salesman had returned :confused: don't know why he left or why he came back. He took me to the boys in the office who when questioned started feverishly shufflling a bunch of paper. What followed sounded like this....."I don't see that we have gotten a shipping notification yet......well it does have to come from Japan......should be here any day......definately will be here before the end of the month." Riiiggggghhhhhhhtttttt! So there is no actual paperwork but I can make book on it arriving in the next 10 days. Geee, why is it that more people don't trust their dealerships?? :bs:

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
do this; talk to the sales manager and have them look up your car with the VIN# the salesman has for you... they should be able to tell you EXACTLY where the car is... if not physically where it is, they will be able to tell you what part of the process its in ie: on the boat, at the port, on the delivery truck, etc...

get a definitive answer... if not, start asking questions about how to get a refund for your deposit b/c you think you might have better luck at another dealership (doesn't have to be true, but it will scare them enough to actually get a definitive answer)...

any paper they might have will only show what is on their lot at the moment, not what's coming in... they have to look in the computer for that info...

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, the "boys in the office" were the new dealership manager and the sales manager and someone I didn't recognize. They are trying to revitalize the dealership as it is under new management. Looks like the same old sh** to me.

I have been dealing with a multi marque dealership 30 miles up the road for about 10 years buying high end German machines about one every 1.5 years. They also sell Toyota and I have bought a couple "kids" cars there in the past. They are the ONLY dealership I have any trust of because I know they realize I can take my wallet and go anywhere I want at anytime BUT I am willing to buy from them and still give them a reasonable profit. Unfortunately they don't have a Honda franchise. I have actually bought cars as far away as Rhode Island to get what I want (I'm in Missouri).

All I wanted was a fun little hybrid to get my feet wet with (and though it would have been easier I sure wasn't buying a Prius!). By my calculations (based on NOTHING) I think I owe them a couple more weeks before I resort to pushing their buttons. The poster from Hawaii has me thinking though. :glare:

·
Registered
9 Posts
I can feel your pain... I got the same story from the original dealership I worked with. But, when they gave me a sob story about how the car was going to take another month -- I went to another dealership, worked out a dealer exchange for the exact car I wanted, and now I am happy. Good luck... I hope you get some good news in the next few days...

·
Registered
7 Posts
CRZ Siting on lot

Dealership supposedly "reserved" a pre-production CR-Z in August with the specs I wanted. The car was manufactured on 9/11 (easy to remember). I have read that delivery is 3 weeks but I haven't heard a peep out of the dealership as yet. I checked with them 2 weeks ago and that is when they showed me the VIN (couldn't record it though) and gauranteed that they would let me know when it shipped or any other data they had. My experience in the past with other foreign manufacured auto's has been 8 weeks total time from order to delivery. Any one know what is "usual" time from production to delivery in the states?

Thanks for any feedback.
The Honda dealership in Wall, NJ has had a black, cvt CRZ on the lot for amonth now. I pass by it every day on my way to work. They did not add on to the price like some dealers do, but I'm surprised they haven't sold it. In contrast the other dealer in Lakewood, NJ had 2 sold them and hasn't gotten any more in yet.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well the dealership has 6 more days of grace but this is driving me crazy! (er) I "ordered" the 6 mt ex and supposedly that's why it's taking so long to get. I could have had my pick of CVT's or non ex's. BMW get's a VIN to you as soon as production begins and you can follow it through the line and across the ocean. Doesn't get it here any faster but at least it relieves the tension! :cry:

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
wait, i just read that you're looking for a Black EX 6MT, is that correct?? if so, i'm not sure how far you are from me, but the local dealership has had that one since day 1... it's the car i test drove... aside from me driving, i don't think u have to worry about anyone else driving the heck out of it b/c i live in an old ppl city... oh btw i'm in Florida...

·
Registered
693 Posts
A Black EX would be the easiest 6 speed CRZ to find. Most 6 speeds are black and most CRZs are EXs. So with just a bit of effort I am certain you can find a Black EX 6 speed within 300 miles or so from your home. Do a search on Cars.com or get a list of honda dealers near you and find their websites and search their inventories online.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
TCroly: Point well taken. Just a few more days before I kick into gear. Drove past the dealership this evening and there was a transport truck on the side of the road. Unfortunately no CR-Z's and fully loaded.:waiting:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.