Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

121 - 125 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Great thread! Looking forward to getting a CR-Z so I can contribute. But in the meantime a coupe of notes.

1. High voltage DC is EXTREMELY dangerous. Much more than AC. If you touch HV AC, the AC component will cause your nerves to trigger your muscles and you'll let go - possibly with your arm sending your hand flying into rotating machinery nearby.

If you touch HV DC, your muscles will lock in position and you won't be able to disconnect your hand no matter how much you want to. You may DIE. Please be VERY VERY CAREFUL.

As Peter says multiple times WEAR RUBBER INSULATING GLOVES WHENEVER NEAR HV DC. Also a good back-up is to have someone else nearby who can kick your hand away in an emergency.

2. As Peter has also stated Li-Ion chemistry is completely different to NiMh. The biggest killer of Li-Ion cells is having them reach a high temperature - especially when they are fully or highly charged.

You batteries in your power tools will die very quickly if you don't give the battery a rest when you feel it getting hot under use - or leave it sitting on a hot metal roof in direct sunlight.

Nissan Leaf's don't last as long if they're in Arizona compared to Oregon. When I park my black Prius PHV in the summer I always find a shady spot.

One thing I think would be worthwhile is looking at designing and building a 12v Li-Ion battery kit that is the same size as the normal CR-Z 12v battery but because such a beast would have a lot more capacity, it could be used to run an addition system that monitors the air temp around the IMA battery and kicks in some 12v fans to make sure it doesn't get too high - even when parked with all systems shut down.

The Prius PHV has battery cooling fans but I've only heard them operate when the car is plugged in for charging.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, been lurking for a bit just wanna say thanks for all the hard work/free information, and one quick question; I was chatting with a neighbour about this due to not being an electrowizard or having the space to leave the car overnight, and he mentioned having a charger for 12v with a repair function, would this be useable in any way or will the voltage be too low to even tickle the bigger hybrid battery?

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #123 ·
I was chatting with a neighbour about this due to not being an electrowizard or having the space to leave the car overnight, and he mentioned having a charger for 12v with a repair function, would this be useable in any way or will the voltage be too low to even tickle the bigger hybrid battery?
No. It would be completely unsuitable for any sort of work on the IMA battery.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just as a quick update, since It's now been 2 weeks since I've done a full charge->discharge->charge cycle. Before this process, my scangauge 2 was reporting a usable capacity of 26%. Now, almost 1k km after, my usable capacity has yet to come down from 75%. The difference is VERY noticeable. @PeterPerkins thank you for creating this thread and sharing your knowledge.

I know it's not a CRZ (I drive an Insight gen2) but I'll leave a few pics of my shitty setup anyway :)

I wired a charging/discharging cable permanently to the battery, with an inline 2A ceramic fuse just to be safe.

Here's my 120mm blower fan attached to a makeshift duct that connects to the battery's intake with a piece of cut to size foam, to ensure I get a decent seal.

And here are 3 50w 240v bulbs connected in parallel to discharge the battery. This way I can easily adjust the discharge rate by simply adding or removing bulbs from their sockets.

121 - 125 of 125 Posts