Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Why bother, it's not very accessible and not really necessary if you make a reasonable simple setup for the vent.
Cardboard cereal box and duct tape with a $5 ebay fan.

But if you really want to it's a pwm controlled FAN with the power control transistor inside the fan itself asfaik.
If you want to control the speed you will need a PWM drive. The pinout will be in the downloadable workshop manual.
Don't put too much current into the control pin.

The fan will use a fair bit of power so you need a power supply that can provide an adequate amount. 12V at maybe 2-5A or so.

·
Registered
89 Posts
So unfortunately I can't really get into this procedure since I don't have power available where the car is. But, I do have HDS and I finally got around to looking at the IMA data and the capacity is at 21%. Can't say I expected to see it that low as the battery seems to be performing ok and the indicators look good. Is it ok to just go into HDS and bump the capacity up?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
If by bump the capacity up you mean do the battery reset/replacement procedure which increases the useable to 75% then yes you can do it.
The car will work out for itself how much is really left over the next few drives/weeks etc and knock that figure down progressively if your pack can't handle it. .

For meaningful long term improvement you really need to give it a balance charge as a minimum first.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Ok thanks, maybe I'll do that and see how it responds. I'd like to be able to do the charge procedure but the car lives outside and I don't have a place to set it up.
At least I can get my money's worth out of the HDS. Worst case I guess is it finds its way back to where it was.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hm so likely nothing to lose by doing a reset, maybe it'll pick up a few % in the process.
Or I could leave it alone and see how long it takes before the code sets, maybe it will be a while. Everything else looks good- SOC, Charge/Assist indicators where they should be and the car performs well. In HDS I see full voltage and the module voltages are all equal.
Oops meant to edit somehow double posted.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I wrote this maintenance/info guide for Insight Nimh batteries years ago, but the principles all apply to CRZ Nimh ones as well.

CRZ packs only have 84 cells instead of 120 in the Insight.
CRZ packs are lower voltage and the cells are slightly smaller nominal capacity, but more rugged.

It's useful background reading..

Attachments

21 - 27 of 27 Posts