have you a pic where to put the temp probe please
cheers
Motor vehicle Automotive design Trunk Automotive exterior Bumper

The answers you seek are in this post:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello @PeterPerkins,
I have seen your video on YouTube about how to build a basic grid charger and I'm about to do that.
I'm just not sure if I can use the same LED supply, since I have a Honda Civic Hybrid 2009 (I'm from the UK)
Your description says 2x Meanwell APC-35-350 (10OV 350ma CC) led power supplies - Are they good for me too?
Many thanks

·
Registered
121 Posts
My garage is 90F outside is actually cooler at 88F. and the exhaust from the battery vent is about 98F. I assume this is OK as the car lives with an interior temperature of 120-130F every single day from April to October as I cant afford to park it inside when I go to work. I am seeing about a 10 degree temperature increase in air exhausted. Pack it's self is at ambient temperature. Interior of the car today never exceeded 95F as I had all windows open and hatch open as well as two large fans blowing air through it.

People are noting it needs to be kept cool. Short of renting an airconditioned garage and driving the car into it, It's impossible to keep the car cool here. so how cool does the car and battery have to be kept?

·
Premium Member
9,021 Posts
My theory is all the glass is what causes the high temperatures in the car, and anything you can do to prevent that heat gain will help. The 2 products below others in the forum have mentioned. The sun shade I have had in many vehicles over the years, and it does lower the heat gain when parked. It is also easy to use, so it will be used more often.

To keep a car a little cooler when parked, you may want to consider a sun shade(I use this one The Original Retractable Shade™) and I am not sure if these other shades would help for all the other glass (Honda CR-Z ZF1 – Groovy Shades At least they are easily removable for times when you drive at night, which IMO is better than tint.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi Peter, I finally got around to soldering wires together and am running 2 of the following LED drivers in parallel. I wanted to test it first so I hooked it up to a multimeter and it appears that it’s pushing out only roughly 82-85 volts constant and unloaded. Does this sound right or maybe these drivers are low quality and aren’t within their specified specs? Would I even be able to refresh my battery using these drivers if the voltage output is that low?
Finger Audio equipment Gadget Electronic engineering Electronic component

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm assuming you only have the AC inputs connected in parallel..

The DC outputs have to be in series.

Post a picture of your connections and units working and the voltmeter readings.
Sorry about that, the AC are wired in parallel and the DC is wired in series (positive wire from one driver connected to negative wire from the other drive, and the 2 remaining power/negative wires going to the multimeter). I actually just reread the Amazon add and it said “output DC voltage can only be measured under load,” so maybe I just need to hook it up to the IMA and see what it does?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Wow I just realized I screwed up… I’m connect the DC positive and negative together on one driver… I thought it was soldered in series. Sorry Peter, I should’ve double-checked my work. Hopefully I didn’t fry the driver.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi All,

Thank you for all the information to everyone, especially @PeterPerkins !

I am considering doing this process to my 2011 CRZ as I just hit 100k miles last week and thought it would benefit from it.

I've got 2 questions before I buy all the gear and start this exciting process:

1. Does it matter what the IMA Battery charge shows on the car's dashboard before I start the process? Should I empty the battery as much as possible (3 bars) before the first charge or it doesn't make a difference?

2. I looked at the OBDII C&C topic on this forum but I can't seem to find the answer to my second question, sorry... Any chance you guys could point me to a clone HDS (as the Honda HDS is crazy expensive) that will work and allow me to show/reset the capacity of the IMA Battery pack, please? I can't seem to find a $100 version of this "HDS" that has been mentioned before, and I desperately want to buy one to check the capacity level first, before I jump the gun.

Your help would be greatly appreciated!

Attached is a picture I made to celebrate Toothless' 100K Miles milestone!

Cheers!
Automotive parking light Automotive tire Automotive lighting Vehicle Hood

281 - 300 of 341 Posts