Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
201 - 220 of 344 Posts

· Registered
184 Posts
EDIT: I Did something wrong. Sellers stock photos showed LED driver case with the input/output reversed. But a closer look at the customer review photos showed it the other way.

Maybe it was covered here and I missed it, but just in case:

**The white corded plug end on the LED driver is OUTPUT to IMA.

**The red and blue end is INPUT from mains.

Hopefully no one else makes the same noob mistake I did going forward. :(

-------
So I hooked up one of those drivers to a multimeter to get a voltage reading.

Soon as I plugged in the mains end. POP! poof of smoke, and that was it.

Looks like the ones I got are no good.. unless I did something wrong.

· Registered
533 Posts
Did you accidentally have the meter set for current instead of voltage? That would short out the supply and let the smoke out if it didn't have good protection.
The load from a properly connected voltmeter is negligible and should not cause anything bad to happen.

· Registered
184 Posts
Did you accidentally have the meter set for current instead of voltage? That would short out the supply and let the smoke out if it didn't have good protection.
The load from a properly connected voltmeter is negligible and should not cause anything bad to happen.
No, it was on DC volt for sure. Nothing happened on the voltmeter end.

It looks like I forced full 120V AC through the 280mV DC end.

· Registered
184 Posts
Went ahead and just ordered some new constant current drivers from Amazon.

Othmro LED Driver 2pcs 12-18W Power Supply Transformer Adapter 85-265V DC Low Voltage Output for LED Light,Computer Project,Outdoor Light Othmro LED Driver 2pcs 12-18W Power Supply Transformer Adapter 85-265V DC Low Voltage Output for LED Light,Computer Project,Outdoor Light: Amazon.com: Tools & Home Improvement

Readings on the multimeter are all over the place. Suspecting blue wire has something to do with it. Decided to post here for help before proceeding further.
included a picture of the small wiring diagram on the driver cover

Any ideas?

thanks!
Passive circuit component Circuit component Light Green Hardware programmer
Gadget Gesture Font Finger Material property

· IMA Enthusiast
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #207 ·
The specs are strange from that link you provided.

Blue and brown at one end are the AC input.

What DC voltage do you get out at the other end between red and black and red and blue wires?

Post a pic of the underside of the board.

· Registered
184 Posts
Looks like problem maybe solved. I noticed the negative symbol next to that top right solder point so desoldered the black and blue wires. Then resoldered the black to that negative point. Now getting a constant 74-75volts.

Could use some pointers on how to properly connect to read amps though. Much appreciated!!

· IMA Enthusiast
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #211 ·
Just connect them up now as per my video/this thread and measure the combined series output voltage. ~150V
Connect them carefully to the IMA and see what happens. Remember rubber gloves etc when fiddling around with these supplies/IMA.

In the event the supplies are rubbish the IMA pack will kill/vapourise them very quickly without itself sustaining damage. (y)

If you want to prevent any possibility of power flowing back from the IMA into the LED supplies then add a 10 cent 1N4004 400V 1A series diode in the LED driver + output lead..

supply1 + --------Diode-[ >| ]--------- IMA +
supply1 - Connect to supply 2+

supply2 + Connect to supply 1-
supply2 - -------------------------------- IMA -

· Registered
2010 sport 6 manual
289 Posts
You need 2 LEDs. Wired in series to give the 120v+. How you connect to mains input and battery output is up to you. Here is a picture of what I bodged up. Do not forget the discharge lamp.
Wood Working animal Fawn Chair Eyewear

Reactions: PeterPerkins

· Registered
184 Posts
I clipped insulated alligator clips as per instructed to the IMA battery terminals, then to the multimeter probes to test for voltage, flipped the switch and wires instantly lit up burned up. Positive completely burned and broke up. Negative melted. Got a face full of toxic smoke and cars gonna smell like like that for days. :( Man, what am I doing wrong here?

The multimeter wires seem okay and still work, so I am presuming the alligator wires are too thin? They look as thick as the output wires on the LED drivers. So now I'm scared to hook anything up.
Automotive tire Tread Grey Art Synthetic rubber

· Registered
184 Posts
Hey Peter thanks for replying so quickly. I haven't connected the LED drivers to the IMA yet. I wanted to get a voltage reading as well as ensure I was tapping the correct terminals. So the alligator clips/wires that burned up were connected to the multimeter instead of the LED drivers.

Heres a pic of the IMA terminals I tapped circled in BLUE. Negative on top, Positive on the bottom. Maybe I got them wrong?
Motor vehicle Electrical wiring Automotive exterior Machine Auto part

· Registered
184 Posts
I should really stop listening to friends that supposedly know more...

I'll wire brown to black. Don't want anymore potential factors for hiccups.

Did I damage the IMA... Sigh.

Thank you so much Peter. You have a way we can donate. Feel I owe you a little something at least.

201 - 220 of 344 Posts