Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Premium Member
9,067 Posts
IMA system even with IMA battery disconnected should charge the under hood. Not a good Idea to drive it that way but you could. You should not do this for the charge recharge protocol. In an emergency for one trip and if you have a jump starter maybe but why do it!

No, your 12v battery will eventually be drained without the support / charging from the hybrid battery. Then you will lose steering assist, ABS, stability control.... it’s suicidal to drive like that...

· Premium Member
9,067 Posts
At some point I may consider a reset using the HDS if i get money to afford one and a windows laptop to use with it. I currently have no laptop. Is there a stand alone device like an HDS that does not require a laptop? Another option is one of @PeterPerkins devices for monitoring, Manual control, and resetting just not charging. Still need to reread all of the postings and see what involved in installing one of those since it is not simply ODB2 connection.

· Premium Member
9,067 Posts
For now I will just monitor your progress and drive the car as it is. I was considering a cloned HDS and associated used laptop but if even you can't reset the usable capacity then that would be a waste of my limited funds. Thank you!

Just to be clear you cannot do the cycling process on Lithium to rejuvenate it so forget it.
It's a slow one way ticket to the battery morgue with Lithium from the moment they leave the factory.

So far I have been unable to reset the useable capacity in my stock Lithium car so it may not be doable in the same way as with Nimh ones,
or that HDS special functionality might require a connection to the Honda Servers like when doing key programming with the later car models.
It might really be dealer only... (I'm not convinced yet we shall see) I have not looked at it that deeply yet.

· Premium Member
9,067 Posts
There has been some debate on here that to read IMA, you need a more expensive scanner or an HDS clone or @PeterPerkins device. Anyone know which ODB blue tooth dongles and software and phone Oss reads this information? There are so many of those available now don't want to buy the wrong one. I also do not want to spend over $500 with a windows 7 laptop to read this information. Most of the HDS clones from what I read here need a Windows 7 Laptop. I currently have no laptop at all.

Look forward to some real actual information not speculation from those that have working devices.

· Premium Member
9,067 Posts
My theory is all the glass is what causes the high temperatures in the car, and anything you can do to prevent that heat gain will help. The 2 products below others in the forum have mentioned. The sun shade I have had in many vehicles over the years, and it does lower the heat gain when parked. It is also easy to use, so it will be used more often.

To keep a car a little cooler when parked, you may want to consider a sun shade(I use this one The Original Retractable Shade™) and I am not sure if these other shades would help for all the other glass (Honda CR-Z ZF1 – Groovy Shades At least they are easily removable for times when you drive at night, which IMO is better than tint.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts