Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,335 Posts
Welcome! I would have smacked that salesperson in the face and made him take a lot of money off for being an ass and asked for someone else to do the sale. I hope you followed all the buying advice I have given over the years about how to buy a car and hope you love it as much as we love ours.

·
Registered
2014 CR-Z EX Pearl/Black/Red
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome! I would have smacked that salesperson in the face and made him take a lot of money off for being an ass and asked for someone else to do the sale. I hope you followed all the buying advice I have given over the years about how to buy a car and hope you love it as much as we love ours.
Thanks Spdump, I ignored him and gave him my money. Question: How difficult is it to put a OEM Nav system in an EX that does not have Nav? I’ve seen OEM Nav systems for sale on EBay and would like to upgrade and would prefer a factory unit over aftermarket. Is it doable without breaking the bank? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
6,335 Posts
The factory navigation is not hard to install but not worth it IMO and it is very old technology. The Speed Bump is a 2013 EX no navigation( bought brand new and the Navigation was supposedly an over $2k option and I specifically did not want factory Navigation. I like the display for backup in the mirror) and has a Garmin Nuvi 65 that is on the lower left of the windshield whenever the car is driven and it is updated for free quarterly. A Garmin will cost you less than the factory replacement radio and work better. Mine has the ability to work with an optional wireless back up camera (BC30) which I am going to mount behind the front grill for parking.

The factory navigation you have to pay every time it needs an update and it is simply not a great navigation unit. But it should be pretty easy to install. You will need the GPS antenna and may need to re-pin the connector in the car. Not sure what would happen with the backup camera. No one has taken a CR-Z EX without navigation and added it so I simply don't know all the ins and outs . Most ( other than me ) go aftermarket ICE.

My solution works better and costs a lot less and works great.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The factory navigation is not hard to install but not worth it it is very old technology. The Speed Bump is a 2013 EX no navigation( bought brand new and the Navigation was supposedly an over $2k option and I specifically did not want factory Navigation) and has a Garmin Nuvi 65 that is on the lower left of the windshield whenever the car is driven and it is updated for free quarterly. A Garmin will cost you less than the factory replacement radio and work better. Mine has the ability to work with an optional wireless back up camera (BC30) which I am going to mount behind the froint grill for parking.

The factory navigation you have to pay every time it needs an update and it is simply not a great navigation unit. But it should be pretty easy to install. You will need the GPS antenna and may need to re-pin the connector in the car.
Thanks, Do you have pics of you Garmin setup I could see?

·
Super Moderator
6,335 Posts
Front camera is not installed yet so here are pictures of the GPS on windshield and of where it plugs in(accessory jack expander) along with a pic of where my Scan Gauge II is installed below my radio. The other bracket on the windshield is for my sun shade. This is a 7" Garmin. They make smaller ones. Bracket for the GPS has the tab to release it facing up to the top to make it easier to remove.

Thanks, Do you have pics of you Garmin setup I could see?

·
Registered
2014 CR-Z, Base, CVT
430 Posts
not worth it IMO and it is very old technology
I agree, from what I've seen. I have one of those 9 inch android head units from AliExpress and it is awesome. It really is just a big tablet running Android. I can also use Android auto with an app, and that's what I do 99% of the time.

Reactions: Eddie70

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies. I need nav and I’m still exploring options. I’ve seen OEM Nav units for as low as $200 on EBay. Stopping by my favorite car audio store today to see what options they offer.
4A58999A-ED19-4BB7-8D21-AE6E2ED65E12.jpeg

·
Super Moderator
6,335 Posts
Will be a lot more work when a simple Garmin stand alone will work and no major rewiring required. Also check out Car Stereo: Stereos, Radios & Receivers half the professional radio install places butcher wiring and don't do nice work. But to each their own.

Thanks for the replies. I need nav and I’m still exploring options. I’ve seen OEM Nav units for as low as $200 on EBay. Stopping by my favorite car audio store today to see what options they offer. View attachment 62619

·
Super Moderator
6,335 Posts
Installing this what did you lose in funtionality from the OEM system? What did you gain other than the Android OS items. What else did you gain? What was total cost including installation if you had it installed?

I agree, from what I've seen. I have one of those 9 inch android head units from AliExpress and it is awesome. It really is just a big tablet running Android. I can also use Android auto with an app, and that's what I do 99% of the time.

View attachment 62617

View attachment 62618

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Installing this what did you lose in funtionality from the OEM system? What did you gain other than the Android OS items. What else did you gain? What was total cost including installation if you had it installed?
AB1AFF40-0F76-473D-98A0-40FA085772BD.jpeg
219F460A-A0BF-425F-B13B-8E400CB1DD57.jpeg
48DCFAD8-3FFF-4E3A-A083-1AAD6533F381.jpeg

·
Super Moderator
6,335 Posts
My reply was to Mrfastfox. Since that is an Alpine did you lose any functionality (sub woofer, Steering wheel controls, etc)over the OEM and is your backup camera still functional in the rear view mirror? Does that alpine have lifetime map updates and traffic? What did it cost to install it or have it installed? I ask as you were talking an OEM navigation unit from Ebay for $200. Garmin GPS is now about $200. My Nuvi 65 was less but is now discontinued. Just curious what you ended up doing. I hope none of the oem connectors were removed and a connection kit was used.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I use the Waze app for my navigation and get real time traffic alerts from their software that monitors the traffic speed and I am alerted where the Police are hiding with their Radar Guns!

Garmin and Nuvi navigation devices are so obsolete now with all the smartphones available. Even Consumer Cellular have Smartphones to replace your flip phones!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My reply was to Mrfastfox. Since that is an Alpine did you lose any functionality (sub woofer, Steering wheel controls, etc)over the OEM and is your backup camera still functional in the rear view mirror? Does that alpine have lifetime map updates and traffic? What did it cost to install it or have it installed? I ask as you were talking an OEM navigation unit from Ebay for $200. Garmin GPS is now about $200. My Nuvi 65 was less but is now discontinued. Just curious what you ended up doing. I hope none of the oem connectors were removed and a connection kit was used.
$800 installed with connection kit/face plate and steering wheel control kit. Everything works like it should. You and others talked me out of waisting money on the OEM Nav. I’ve had Alpines on other vehicles so it feels familiar to me. All functionality seems to be good once I turned off all the nannies. I’ve gotten spoiled by Nav systems and really appreciate the audio/Nav/phone integration. Helps that I’ve got a shop that I trust and has done good work for me on other vehicles. Backup camera still incorporated into mirror.

·
Super Moderator
6,335 Posts
My Garmin suits my needs and is updated quarterly and has worked where cell phones do not. Total cost 200 and easily replaced if it fails. Your comments are bordering on abusive, watch what you say. If you drive reasonably and don't speed you do not have to worry about that.

I use the Waze app for my navigation and get real time traffic alerts from their software that monitors the traffic speed and I am alerted where the Police are hiding with their Radar Guns!

Garmin and Nuvi navigation devices are so obsolete now with all the smartphones available. Even Consumer Cellular have Smartphones to replace your flip phones!

·
Super Moderator
6,335 Posts
A lot more than what you were planning but about what I epected with all the integration to the steering wheel controls and other systems in the car. Does sub woofer still work?

$800 installed with connection kit/face plate and steering wheel control kit. Everything works like it should. You and others talked me out of waisting money on the OEM Nav. I’ve had Alpines on other vehicles so it feels familiar to me. All functionality seems to be good once I turned off all the nannies. I’ve gotten spoiled by Nav systems and really appreciate the audio/Nav/phone integration. Helps that I’ve got a shop that I trust and has done good work for me on other vehicles. Backup camera still incorporated into mirror.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
A lot more than what you were planning but about what I epected with all the integration to the steering wheel controls and other systems in the car. Does sub woofer still work?
Yes, sub woofer is working. Definitely more than I had hoped to spend but ain’t that always the case? I like how tidy and OEM it is in appearance and function.

·
Registered
2014 CR-Z, Base, CVT
430 Posts
I installed it myself. This one was super easy since it came with all the wiring harnesses ready for the CR-Z, so it takes like 10 minutes to install/remove. I had the basic radio, so all I lost was the HandsFree Link, which I never used anyways. This one was $330 from AliExpress + $40 for fast shipping.

As for what I gained, it's basically a giant phone for your car. If I had one, I could insert a sim card to get 4G internet on it. It also has WiFi, so I use my phone's hotspot if need be. I can also add a backup camera if I want to, but my car has one on the mirror. Using an app called HeadUnit Reloaded, I can use Android Auto and it works really well, except for phone calls since they're handled differently than a 'real' A.A head unit. Of course, it also has bluetooth, as well as 3 USB ports for charging your phone, and playing music off a USB drive. I can download almost any other app from the Play Store, including Waze, Google Maps, YouTube, Spotify, Etc. You're also supposed to be able to access the canbus system to see things like your climate control settings, engine data, etc. I haven't gotten it to work, but I bet @yayuuu has. In addition to it, I have a Rockville SS8P subwoofer, and the audio quality is excellent. My dad got a simmilar radio from AliExpress for only $170, but it's nowhere near as good as this one. I recommend getting the more expensive ones, I think they're worth it.

Edit: completely forgot to mention an issue I did run into, which was the hazard light switch and airbag indicator. Neither of them fit, so I initially just hot-glued them in. Look carefully and you can see that both the switch and indicator aren't flush with the panel, but are behind it. I ended up making a 3D printed CR-Z insert for the little airbag indicator, which I think turned out nice, although my printer wasn't running right when I printed it. For the hazard switch, I just used a ton of hot glue to hold it in place. unfortunately, the radio wouldn't seat all the way in at the bottom, and if you pushed the bottom in, the hazard lights would activate without you touching the switch. Interestingly, a 2016 CR-Z recently popped up at my local junkyard. I was too slow and couldn't get the wheels, which I would've loved to get, but I did get the hazard switch and airbag indicators. They were different, and fit a little better, but still not a direct fit. However, due to the different shape, the hazard switch doesn't interfere with anything so the panel now seats all the way in and doesn't activate the hazards when I apply pressure.

You can see the ill-fitting switch and CR-Z plate here

Reactions: Spdbump and Fediej

·
Registered
2014 CR-Z, Base, CVT
430 Posts
That looks nice. I also had a double-din radio (a Dual XDCPA9BT if you're curious), and mine too was deeply recessed into the faceplate like that. I ended up using a Dremel to grind away the lip on the back of the faceplate, which allowed me to mount the head unit flush with the face plate. Might want to look into that. Unfortunately, I do not have a picture.

Either way, glad to see you found a good solution.

Reactions: 1K2go

·
Super Moderator
6,335 Posts
Could you have ordered the Navigation specific Airbag light and Hazard switch? When I ordered my red Hazard switch I had to order the non navigation one but they make a different one for Navigation cars. I presume same is true for the Airbag light. If you are happy that is all that matters.

I installed it myself. This one was super easy since it came with all the wiring harnesses ready for the CR-Z, so it takes like 10 minutes to install/remove. I had the basic radio, so all I lost was the HandsFree Link, which I never used anyways. This one was $330 from AliExpress + $40 for fast shipping.

As for what I gained, it's basically a giant phone for your car. If I had one, I could insert a sim card to get 4G internet on it. It also has WiFi, so I use my phone's hotspot if need be. I can also add a backup camera if I want to, but my car has one on the mirror. Using an app called HeadUnit Reloaded, I can use Android Auto and it works really well, except for phone calls since they're handled differently than a 'real' A.A head unit. Of course, it also has bluetooth, as well as 3 USB ports for charging your phone, and playing music off a USB drive. I can download almost any other app from the Play Store, including Waze, Google Maps, YouTube, Spotify, Etc. You're also supposed to be able to access the canbus system to see things like your climate control settings, engine data, etc. I haven't gotten it to work, but I bet @yayuuu has. In addition to it, I have a Rockville SS8P subwoofer, and the audio quality is excellent. My dad got a simmilar radio from AliExpress for only $170, but it's nowhere near as good as this one. I recommend getting the more expensive ones, I think they're worth it.

Edit: completely forgot to mention an issue I did run into, which was the hazard light switch and airbag indicator. Neither of them fit, so I initially just hot-glued them in. Look carefully and you can see that both the switch and indicator aren't flush with the panel, but are behind it. I ended up making a 3D printed CR-Z insert for the little airbag indicator, which I think turned out nice, although my printer wasn't running right when I printed it. For the hazard switch, I just used a ton of hot glue to hold it in place. unfortunately, the radio wouldn't seat all the way in at the bottom, and if you pushed the bottom in, the hazard lights would activate without you touching the switch. Interestingly, a 2016 CR-Z recently popped up at my local junkyard. I was too slow and couldn't get the wheels, which I would've loved to get, but I did get the hazard switch and airbag indicators. They were different, and fit a little better, but still not a direct fit. However, due to the different shape, the hazard switch doesn't interfere with anything so the panel now seats all the way in and doesn't activate the hazards when I apply pressure.

You can see the ill-fitting switch and CR-Z plate here
View attachment 62652

1 - 20 of 21 Posts