Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a complete car noob.....so I need help from all the car people on this forum.

I really like my CR-Z - great looks, good fuel mileage, and its not a Prius(could not stand the floating feel and the complete disconnect from the road)

BUT, I really dont like the stock tires (Dunlops) because they are noisy and seem harsh on bumps (I am in Connecticut - very poor secondary roads), so I am looking for replacements.

My wish list: Good all weather tires, quieter, good snow traction, better ability to handle bumps, fit my stock rims,and maybe lower rolling resistance....

I know that is quite the list, but I hope someone can help.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
I've heard good reviews from folks running extremecontact tires from Continental.

For the best ride going from one summer set to winter tires would be the # 1 choice. Not really all that expensive either. Hankook V12's would be my choice if you want to ready to spring with a summer tire.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have Kumo AST all season tires on my CR-Z, and I think it's the best tire I've ever driven on. This is the 3rd time I've put Kumo tires on cars I've owned, my wife also has them on her DelSol and I had them on my Mustang. They are great in wet weather, and they wear really good. If your considering new tires, Kumo would be a good choice.
Good Luck:)

·
Registered
693 Posts
I second the recommendation to use tirerack's comprehensive testing and survey results to help you learn more about how particular tires perform.

I recommend using tirerack.com to buy your tires and you can have them shipped directly to one of their approved installers in your area. But if you would rather buy directly from a retailer in your area you can still use the data on tire rack to help you make a good choice.

Tires make huge difference on how a car performs. You have done an excellent job of identifying what is important about tire performance to you. For others it might be an entirely different set of criteria. Taking a recommendation from someone else assumes that you both value the same criteria and that is rarely the case.

I also caution you from making general brand choices based on someone's antidotal evidence of performance. All tire manufacturers make both good and poor performing tires. Some manufacturers have better tire warranties, but what you really want to consider is the performance of a particular tire and in a size similar to that of your car. The performance of a 305/35/18 might be quite different than the performance of the same model tire in a 195/55/16.

You can consider a slightly larger (205/55/16) or slightly smaller (185/55/16) sizes to widen your choices. If fuel economy is a primary concern, then the smaller tire might benefit this more than a wider, larger tire. But if ultimate cornering capability is more important than fuel economy, a wider tire might make you happier.

·
Registered
666 Posts
My son and I both just upgraded our wheels and tires on our CR-Zs to 17x7.5" width. We both went with Yokohama Avid Envigor tires in a 215/45/17 size. They look incredible and handle SO much better than the stockers! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I called TireRack a few days ago (great experience - they really are very helpful) and they suggested Continental ExtremeContact DWS in 205/50R16.

Two questions for the car gurus - just to verify what TireRack told me:
1) 205/50R16 are 24.1" tall compared to the OEMs at 24.4" - this is close enough right?

2) They said there should be no problem going slightly wider - i am just looking for conformation that going to a 205 tire isn't going to mess something up with our CR-Z.

Thanks again for all your support.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Well I called TireRack a few days ago (great experience - they really are very helpful) and they suggested Continental ExtremeContact DWS in 205/50R16.

1) 205/50R16 are 24.1" tall compared to the OEMs at 24.4" - this is close enough right?

2) They said there should be no problem going slightly wider - i am just looking for conformation that going to a 205 tire isn't going to mess something up with our CR-Z.

Based on the criteria that you said was important to you, this looks like a perfect tire choice. It has been highly rated in tire rack's user surveys and they are reasonably priced and rated for very long life. It would not be my choice here in Maui, because I don't have to worry about snow and on my side of the island it rarely rains. I typically would look for a higher performance tire for grip, but it looks like this tire only sacrifices a little grip and in return gives you great wet and snow performance.

The wider size should not be a issue at all and the slightly smaller diameter will make your spedo read a little high (60.9 mph at an actual 60 mph) but not enough to matter. The only downside is that you will be registering 1.5% more miles than you actually travel. So when your car has 100,000 miles on the odometer, you will actually have traveled only 98,500 miles. Also your fuel economy will read 1.5% higher than actual and that will probably be offset by the couple percent lower fuel economy that the slightly wider tire may cost you.

This tire is also available in a 205/55/16, which would be a slightly (1.7%) taller tire if you wanted the spedo to read lower than you are actually are going (58.9 mph at an actual 60 mph) and to give you a little more miles actually traveled for each mile registered. This taller 55 series profile tire will probably ride a little better and transmit a little less bump shock from potholed roads than the 50 series tire would.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I always recommend the Michelin Primacy MXV4. Great tire, although I've been told it's got a higher rolling resistance, so not best for gas mileage, but living in MI they did amazing this past winter on snow and ice.

I haven't taken delivery of my 'Z yet (either tonight or Saturday), but I think I'm going to try the Dunlop's until next winter and then swap them out.

·
Registered
780 Posts
toyo proxi t1r or the falken ziex ze-912
Not good snow tires at all.

The Continental ExtremeContact DWS tire is amazing. We had a set on the Wife's WRX when her factory tires went bad.

I am also a fan so far of the Yokohama Avid Envigr or how ever you spell it.

·
Registered
780 Posts
My son and I both just upgraded our wheels and tires on our CR-Zs to 17x7.5" width. We both went with Yokohama Avid Envigor tires in a 215/45/17 size. They look incredible and handle SO much better than the stockers! :thumbsup:
Agreed! I went even wider with 225/45/17's and the car handles like it is on rails!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Going Wide

Agreed! I went even wider with 225/45/17's and the car handles like it is on rails!
I traded my stock Dunlop all-season tires and 16" rims for the Bridgestone Potenza 205/45/R17 low profile tires on the optional 17" alloy rims. The new rims are the perfect compliment to my Storm Silver CR-Z and unlike the majority of aftermarket aberrations that I have seen, actually belong on a CR-Z!:drool:
The 205 tire width improves the CR-Z's tracking ability two-fold without contributing to additional understeer that this car is prone to. I am very pleased with the way these new tires unravel the tightest curves.
However, I suspect that a 225 width (2.25" wider than stock) would seriously impede "turn-in" ability and that nimbleness that is inherrant in a CR-Z.:huh:

·
Registered
92 Posts

The Continental DWS is a great tire...I very much enjoyed test driving it and came away impressed on both wet and dry surfaces. Comfortable and quiet as well.

1.) Staying within .3" of the overall diameter is perfectly fine and will ensure that the speedometer is not affected. No problem there.

2.) Going slightly wider will not mess up the CR-Z. It will give you a bigger contact patch (although it isn't much wider than stock) which would improve traction.

In essence the tire choice and size look good! Enjoy.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.