Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning on my way to work I hit a pothole & destroyed the front passenger side tire. Fortunately it was only about 2 blocks from the dealership where we bought our CRZ, so I just rolled it into the the service area. They couldn't patch it, and didn't have the tires in stock since it's such a new model (they said they'd have to be special ordered), so I had them put the spare on. (Actually, they put the rear tire on the front & the spare on the rear.)

I called my husband and he called around & found a place that had the snow tires we've been eyeing in stock, so I went straight there & had them put on.

Bridgestone Blizzak LM-60 RFT

I'll keep you posted with how they do for us! I think it's supposed to snow here this weekend.

As a note, I have found the OE tires (Dunlop 7000) to be completely awful in the rain. And this morning the spare rode incredible loud (and I swear, I was driving wicked slow). Fortunately I only had to go about 5 miles between mechanics.

Now we are all set for winter! :hi5:

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, we got RFT tires. No, we had them mounted on the OE rims. Yes, we really need it.

:) Okay, I don't know anything about tires, but here's what I know:

My husband LOVES Blizzak snow tires. He's had them put on his past 4 cars. In fact, he usually uses them year-round (don't ask). They make Blizzaks with 2 different compounds, the LM series & the WS series. The WS series are a much softer compound than the LM series. He used to always get the LM-25s, which were always rated as, like, the best snow tires ever. Well, they stopped making those like 2-3 years ago, so now the LM-60s are the closest one they make. We had 2 previous cars that ran on RFT tires, and it was VERY nice. My husband has incredibly bad luck with tires. He's constantly getting punctures, etc., so RFT is almost essential for any car he drives. LOL. Also, they ONLY make the tire we wanted in RFT for the 195/55/16 size, so that's what we got. ;)

I'll let you know how they do on this car once we get some snow, but I definitely liked the Blizzaks on our old cars.

Oh, and from Tirerack they are ~$155/tire (at least where I live) including taxes & shipping. We bought them from a local guy & for the tires, having them put on the rims, balanced, etc it was about $195/tire.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, so we got our first snow yesterday! I love our snow tires!

So, I was stuck last night in a miserable commute the day of our first snow. Apparently nothing was plowed/salted yet and cars were sliding all over the place. We probably got only about 2" of snow, but it was enough to make the roads slick. It took me hours to get home, mostly sitting on the highway rolling at about 4 mph (no exaggeration).

When I first left work, the road my company is on wasn't plowed or anything yet, but there was no traffic and I happy drove the speed limit (40 mph) without any issues (no slipping at all).

Then I sat in traffic on the highway for what felt like forever. I personally didn't see any cars off the road, but did see a Toyota 4Runner slipping & sliding in front of me for a few miles of the drive.

I'm happy to say though that the car was solid. No slipping & sliding in the CRZ (with our new snow tires)!

Oh, there is one residential street I went up where it's about 3 blocks straight up a steep hill. The traction control/anti-slip DID kick in & the car slowed quite a bit, but I really wanted to test it, so I basically just drove straight up the hill (not how I'd normally take a hill in the winter), and was really impressed that it made it up.

So overall, :thumbsup: for the Bridgestone Blizzak LM-60 RFT tires in the snow!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
UPDATE:
We got a blizzard right after Christmas, something like 12-20" of snow in different areas & 50+ mph wind gusts. The car was awesome :)

We were parked on the street in a residential neighborhood the night of the blizzard. The next day I went out to dig out. The plows had SMASHED the snow on the street side (driver side) and up the back of the car (I wish I'd taken a photo--it was buried!). I brushed the snow off the car & attempted to dig out a bit around the wheels. I got in & shut off the traction control. I gave it some gas, and basically plowed right out of the parking space :)

We managed to get the snow out of the wheel wells, and my husband hopped in the drivers seat for us to test it out on the highway (it had stopped snowing that morning, so this was a "day after" test).

We were on the on-ramp to get on the highway (which was really long), and noticed some shaking. We immediately pulled off & got out & realized that there was so much snow still jammed in the wheels (OE) that the tires were all out of balance. We each took a tool & started scooping out the snow from in between the spokes (is that what you'd call them?) of the wheels. After we removed the snow, we were on our way. No problems.

On the highway it was still super windy, and Sherman (named after the Sherman Tank) didn't budge--we were VERY impressed!

We drove home (we live in the city) and started looking for a place to park (we park on the street). NOTHING had been plowed, and there was 12+ inches of snow sticking out from the curb up to 6+ feet. Grrrrrr. So we drove around to find the most dug out looking spot (a spot that must have had another car parked there overnight), and again, turned off the traction control and plowed right into the spot. First time, no problem.

We later had to move the car & when we got back the spot was taken. Unfortunately we didn't get as lucky finding a cleared out spot, and after partially digging out a spot (with a broken shovel :angry:), I managed to get into a 2nd spot easily enough. Getting OUT of the 2nd spot took a bit of "rocking" the car back & forth & edging it out of the spot (while parked there the plows had passed again & there was ~8-10" (height) of snow about 2' (width) against the car we had to get through to get out on the street, but honestly, I didn't think the "getting out" was too bad; it didn't take a huge amount of time (<1 min), and we didn't get frustrated or stuck. Plus, we saw EVERY car/truck/SUV on the street going through the same thing, so I think that just goes with the territory when dealing with the aftermath of a blizzard.

I've noticed our gas mileage seems a little lower (~34-35mpg vs. 38-39mpg) since putting on the snow tires, but honestly I can't tell if it's because of the snow tires or:
(1) the change to winter formula gasoline in our area
(2) running the car more (warming up the car in the morning while scraping, etc)
(3) my husband driving more than me recently (he's a SPORT mode guy, I'm an ECON mode girl)
(4) the week after we got them we had vacation from work for the holidays and our driving patterns changed when we weren't commuting everyday.

This past weekend we had unseasonably warm weather and no problems with the snow tires on clean pavement.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Good to hear! The Blizzaks were definitely on my list of potential winter tires... but I went with the Continental Winter Extreme Contacts instead. They are doing very well for me!

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
I actually moved my stock TPMS to my new wheels with summer tires... and when I decided to use the stock wheels for winter tires, had them put in some non-OEM TPMS sensors that work fine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.