Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New here fam! I purchased my Z about 2 months ago but have been eyeballing them since they first came out and I plan on keeping it til the day I die. Cars and video games are my passion. I currently work full-time at a local video game store and will prolly work there til the day I die also😂😂🤣 I have a 6 speed(Don’t do automatics lol) 2011 CR-Z Ex w/Nav. Before this I had had a 2001 Eclipse GT 5 speed and a 2007 Eclipse 5 speed but that’s my wife’s car now since I have my Z😎 I only run Shell V-Power gas in my car and about to put in an K&N Air Filter in it and Pennzoil Ultra Platinum because it’s the best oil(IMHO) and my Z gets the best of everything! My Z had less than 60k on it when I bought it I drove a 9+ hour round trip for her but totally worth it! The CR-Z is the only Hybrid out there that is a manual trans which I think is super friggin dope!!! It’s my first car that I actually got a loan for and the first 6 speed I have owned and that extra gear really does make all the difference in the world! I drove it to Michigan and back for the Skunkies(if ya smell wut I’m stepping in😎) [Detective Pikachu Reference for those who r lame and didn’t get it🤣] and was super impressed with the gas mileage! made it there and back with a single tank of gas! I absolutely love my CR-Z and wouldn’t trade it for anything!(except a 2013 with the S+ Button😂😂🤣💀) but I could give a shiz less about a back up camera or keyless ignition and I don’t know why errybody be trippin bout the MAJOR BLINDSPOT maybe it’s because I’m use to it with having the Eclipse(with a spoiler literally right in the back window) but I have no trouble with back window and mirrors and see just fine. People just don’t pay enough attention IMO. #BestCarEver #InMyHonestButSlightlyBiasedOpinion 😂😂🤣💀👌💯💯👏👏🙌🤪😎🤷‍♂️🤓

·
Super Moderator
5,558 Posts
Welcome to the Forum.

Unless you are forced induction there is no advantage to high octane fuel except to drain your wallet. K&N filter be careful to not over oil it as that will damage your MAF sensor. Follow the maintenance minder and if you want to go nuts put only full synthetic oil in it. I made that change on my first oil change and found I end up changing oil about once every 10K miles or once a year.

As for the "Blind spot" read these postings :

Welcome and ejoy the CR-Z and make sure you drive at least 30 minutes (continuous drive) a month for the batteries and if anything odd happens( all klnds of lights on dash etc) Replace or at minimum load test the under hood battery.

8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lol I ain’t worried about my wallet I’m more concerned about my Z. I don’t believe in cutting corners when it comes to my ride. Besides who’s complaining about gas prices with a hybrid? I think my wallet will be just fine🤣🤣😂 thanks for the tip tho fam!!!👌💯💯

Leather seat covers with heated seat feature!! Whoever bought a bought every option there was!!! That’s wassup👌💯💯😬😎🤪

·
Super Moderator
5,558 Posts
It is not cutting corners it is just not needed. It may actually make the performance less. . Go read the many articles on octane and what it actually does. Next you will say you are going to change the oil every 3000 miles. :rolleyes:
But your Money, your car your choices.

8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the tips tho Spdbump!!! I’m kind of honored to be talking to you yer like a legend on here!!😂😂🤣(Kept up with the forum for awhile now😎) I welcome and appreciate any and all tips you may have for me brother!!!👌💯💯

Lol better safe than sorry as I always say🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️ #AgreeToDisagree XDDDDD

Don’t be too harsh on me bro I’m still learning😂😂🤣 that’s the whole point of the forum right? Lol

Surely you remember how you felt when you first got yer new Z right? Just tryna take good care of my ride so it will take good care of me😂😂🤣 forreal tho thanks for the tips bro!!! I really appreciate it💯💯

I’ve been thinking about putting lighter wheels and a carbon fiber hood on my ride to reduce curb weight. Thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
5,558 Posts
I am practical and if I saw an actual advantage I would agree with you but there is not so why waste money and oil? Where there is an advantage ( synthetic versus blend) I spend the money. One of the main reasons I Own the Speed Bump is because it replaced a car that required 93 octane fuel minimum(2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP). Its an economy car it is designed to use the lower octane fuel.

·
Super Moderator
5,558 Posts
if that is your only reason to do it, then in my opinion the cost of those parts are not worth the difference in weight but if you find a great price in the classifieds and you want to do it to make it yours why not. Again your car, your money your choices.

I’ve been thinking about putting lighter wheels and a carbon fiber hood on my ride to reduce curb weight. Thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
5,558 Posts
Does not actually give engine cold air as it moves the intake air from in front of the radiator to behind it and in the hot engine compartment. Exact opposite of what you want.
You took a loan for this car at probably a high interest rate and a lot of months. You need to save as much money as you can and pay off the loan as fast as you can as the interest raises your total cost of ownership. Because if you were independently wealthy you would have paid cash for the car.
What about K&N Typhoon CAI??🤔 sorry to pick yer brain Spbump but I REALLY appreciate all yer help😅😅😬👌💯💯

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
So the oem wheels are already pretty close to the lightest wheels you can find for these cars.

I had a set of really light wheels (17s that weigh less than the oem 16s) and they did not survive more than 3000 miles on midwest roads.

If you really want to cut some weight out of the car, dump the spare and buy a AAA membership. Remove the rear cargo divider.
Wouldn’t Shell V-Power keep my engine cleaner tho?🤔🤔
not really any moreso than an 87-octane detergent gasoline. Certainly not enough moreso to justify the jump in price at the pump. Look for "Top Tier" certified gas.

More expensive =/= more better

8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the(actually helpful) tips bro!!! That’s a lot more like I thought this forum would be like! LOL

I would think the Moderator of a forum would be more helpful and nice? Shows what I know🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️ LOL

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Thanks for the(actually helpful) tips bro!!! That’s a lot more like I thought this forum would be like! LOL
Don't throw @Spdbump 's advice completely out the window: saving your money in areas where you don't need to spend it (such as changing the oil too frequently, running 93 octane on a stock engine, typhoon intake) will let you spend it where it will actually help (such as mods that will improve the handling) and let you get better overall enjoyment out of the car.

·
Premium Member
5,915 Posts
I guess I'm lame, since I didn't get your Pikachu reference, but I do share your enthusiasm for the CR-Z. Sorry spdbump's spamming your intro thread, but I don't carry the ban-hammer around here, lol. I've had a number of different air intake kits, but not much extra power or go juice in them. Just get one for the better sound/looks, and you'll be good. The OEM one is nice, since it's in its own box, protecting it from the open engine bay air, unlike the K&N, so I'm not too keen on the K&N....

Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Congrats on the car - they are a lot of fun drive and own.

This forum really is a great resource for tips on both owning and maintenance to all kinds of customisations and modifications if you are wanting to enhance or alter something from stock.

I do totally get wanting to treat the car to the best - I have the same mindset in that I stick to original Honda or known to be better items on my cars. At the end of the day what you do is entirely your decision but I would echo Spdbump that this car was designed to run best on regular fuel. I use V-power in my Type-R as that was designed for UK 98 RON (it is stamped on the flap) but the CR-Z gets regular 95 as it is a very different engine and is that is what it requires. My Type-R gets Shell Helix fully synthetic oil but I wouldn’t put that in the CR-Z because it need a thinner hybrid oil - it gets Honda‘s own green oil.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts