Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've been lurking for a bit to learn about this car, and I nearly had one last night. Here's the story.

I found a grey CRZ EX (loaded, no navigation) online and pre-negotiated a price with internet sales. I get to the lot and the car isn't there, but they have a white one. I went to the dealership with an 08 V6 Accord Coupe EX-L non-navi to trade. My Accord has 72K miles and needs new tires, but is otherwise perfect. They tried to beat me up on it. They offered me $12,500 for it, but I got them up to $14,000. My payoff was $16,300. Anyway, to make a long story short, I got them to agree to give me the CRZ for $24,839 out the door (after tax, tag, fees, and my trade value factored in with $0 down payment) at an interest rate of 4.5% (which was also a joke to negotiate on, they started at 8.79% lol!). Well, I'm in the office signing the papers and some jerk comes running in and says that the car the originally were going to sell me didn't have any dealer add-ons and they can't sell me the car at the price I agreed to and had them pull my credit for. They wanted an extra $1,200 for illuminated door sills, security code etched windows, and an illuminated arm rest (WTF is that last thing? BS I say!). So the deal fell through and I was pissed.

I left the lot, and the sales guy called me and said he will try and track down another one for me today, without the "add-ons". Hopefully I will be an official member today. I grabbed all the papers they don't want you to keep, and I will mass mail them out to local dealers and say to "try and beat my deal, and I'll buy from you today."

So that's my story. Keep your fingers crossed for me :)

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got a call back from the dealer, they folded, as expected. I will be official tonight after work! The suspense is killing me!!!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Gotta love the last minute running in and changing their minds.

I guess a lot of people just walk in and take whatever they can afford without thinking about leaving or going somewhere else.

I had a co-worker buy a car that was too expensive for their budget becuase there wasn't anything else on the lot. The concept of going to another lot seemed to elude them.

·
Capt'n Jack
9,491 Posts
Ummm. Had somewhat of a simular experience when I bought m Civic Hybrid in 07. Test Drove a EX w/NAVI that had a HFP package on it - Body moldings and 18" HFP rims/tires. I liked it but told them I wanted to sleep on it. They then went out and gave me a quote of 24K or so in writing. At the time I didn't really look closely at the dealer installed options aka HFP stuff. I got home and started doing a little research and lo and behold, with the HFP stuff, it was at about 32K (of course dealer installed options are overpriced). But, 24K with all the other stuff, I was back in the next day. Gave them the quote and said OK, I'll take it. They then came back and said, oops, we quoted off the wrong car (VIN number on the quote was the car with the HFP package). This car is in fact 32K and change. I held the ground and told them I would buy it right now at the quoted price. After about 30-40 minutes, they came back with the story, "we want to make you a customer for life, etc etc.," they gave it to me at the original quoted price.

I am not sure if there were any legal issues with the quote or they were concerned of anytype of complaints to corporate, But, if anyone else has the same or simular experience, would try and hold your ground. Might work out well.

I did not get the same deal on the CR-Z. First one in the area to buy one. Pretty much paid MSRP + all the extras. Still, I'm liking the CR-Z.

- Storm Silver CR-Z CVT EX/W NAVI -All the exterior/Interior options - 17" Rims/Tires etc., minus Nose Mask.
- Previous Car = CIVIC Hybrid EX/W NAVI and HFP Package - 18 HFP Rims/Tires and body moldings. Really liked it but always in ECON mode. Lov'n the CR-Z. Wifey too. We are 49 year old empty nesters.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the kind words everyone. I got it, a white one! And I insisted they lower the APR for my troubles. Got em down a bit more, to 4.35%. So my OTD was 22,500. I think this is the first car I actually got a good deal on.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was going to buy the white non navi ex but they lowballed my civic to 4,500 and I have exxcelent credit and they wanted to charge me 14.5% interest so I don't have my car yet lol
holy god that is nuts.

·
Capt'n Jack
9,491 Posts
holy god that is nuts.
Yes, that is nuts. Be patient and shop around. Hopefully there are some other Honda dealers around. Good Credit, you should be between 0 and 5% on your financing depending on months, e.g., 36, 48, 60, 72 etc. 60 is probably the most you would want to go.

Of course, Good credit verses credit history can be an issue. You can have good credit, but if you do not have a credit history of 5 or more years, they can mess with you. Especially in today's credit crunch environment. But still, 14.5 seems excessive.

Dealers also can get some kickbacks from their chosen loan institutions. If you have your own, might try and apply with them for a pre-approved. A long time ago, dealerships loved cash (which is what they get with a pre-approved), but now-a-days with the kickbacks etc, they like to finance you. They make more mullah.

On your civic trade in. Hard to call. What is your blue book?

Be careful. Be Smart.

- Storm Silver CR-Z CVT EX/W NAVI -All the exterior/Interior options - 17" Rims/Tires etc., minus Nose Mask.
- Previous Car = CIVIC Hybrid EX/W NAVI and HFP Package - 18 HFP Rims/Tires and body moldings. Really liked it but always in ECON mode. Lov'n the CR-Z. Wifey too. We are 49 year old empty nesters.

·
Premium Member
5,332 Posts
Congrats on the playing hardball and the purchase :cheer:

Ummm. Had somewhat of a simular experience when I bought m Civic Hybrid in 07. Test Drove a EX w/NAVI that had a HFP package on it - Body moldings and 18" HFP rims/tires. I liked it but told them I wanted to sleep on it. They then went out and gave me a quote of 24K or so in writing. At the time I didn't really look closely at the dealer installed options aka HFP stuff. I got home and started doing a little research and lo and behold, with the HFP stuff, it was at about 32K (of course dealer installed options are overpriced). But, 24K with all the other stuff, I was back in the next day. Gave them the quote and said OK, I'll take it. They then came back and said, oops, we quoted off the wrong car (VIN number on the quote was the car with the HFP package). This car is in fact 32K and change. I held the ground and told them I would buy it right now at the quoted price. After about 30-40 minutes, they came back with the story, "we want to make you a customer for life, etc etc.," they gave it to me at the original quoted price.

I am not sure if there were any legal issues with the quote or they were concerned of anytype of complaints to corporate, But, if anyone else has the same or simular experience, would try and hold your ground. Might work out well.

I did not get the same deal on the CR-Z. First one in the area to buy one. Pretty much paid MSRP + all the extras. Still, I'm liking the CR-Z.
wow $24k for a civic Hybrid with all the goodies is a REALLY GREAT deal... they took a nasty hit on that sale for sure...

·
Capt'n Jack
9,491 Posts
Congrats on the playing hardball and the purchase :cheer:

wow $24k for a civic Hybrid with all the goodies is a REALLY GREAT deal... they took a nasty hit on that sale for sure...
Yep, but they got me back on the CR-Z. Same Dealer. :thumbsup: Maybe they were smarter than me. They paid what I owed on the Civic + a little, but sold it the next day as a "one of a kind". Thinking they made out. :rolleyes: That's OK. What is is all about, keep the economy going and people employed.. That's my story and still sticking to it. :hi5:

·
Registered
14 Posts
My salesman just drove a total of 13 hours today to get mine, because i refused to pay trucking charges on it. They only gave me 20,400.00 for my mustang gt, I owed 24,000.00 but it has four bald tires, two with a screw in them, and the front fender has a dent from a truck driver throwing a cooler at it, and the door has a dent from his soda.

not alot of hold backs its got everything but the navi door sills and arm rest, and was 22k, but we havent signed the contract yet, that happens tom. and then I pick it up after work. I may squeeeezzee a few more dollars out of him for my car because he promised me zero miles on mine and its got five.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.