Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just ordered a CAI from AEM and Concept-G exhaust from Tanabe....just wanted to hear your guys thoughts and opinions on these...I know I Read good reviews about the concept-g, just dont like how its not a catback exhaust...hadnt head anything from reviews on AEM but its pretty pricy and couldnt find any other intakes at the place I was at for the CRZ, probaly cuz CRZ is still new and people are testing it out still. I will get both them in a week time as they got t be shipped, of course, but wanted to hear your thoughts and opnions on these 2 while I wait for it =P

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah most definitely will post pics and even video of sound, an review...the shop i ordered it from is like an hour and half away (closest one that sold tanabe products) so instead of going tomorrow to pick up the intake I am going to do it in one trip in a week when the exhaust comes from Japan...I was just reading on AEM site they are reporting a estimated 4 hp gain too.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
side note...I know my profile pic isnt too appealing I thought I changed it earlier...but guess it didnt...sorry if it scares some ya =P

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
AEM's are decent intakes. my accord through CELs with an AEM CAI, but that could be car specific. please do yourself the favor of buying a bypass valve for it. i ingested water in my accord and had to make an insurance claim for a new motor. it happens easier than u think.

·
Registered
332 Posts
This is just info on an aftermarket dealer web-site (info on web is not necessarily fact), where the HKS Silent Power exhaust for the CR-Z gives the same horsepower gain whether catback or axleback, except that the catback has an additional resonator which reduces 'droning' noise while cruising. Also, many technical articles and tests show that the individual horsepower gains from an aftermarket intake and exhaust system are not additive, where frequently 10 hp + 10 hp = 9 hp (not 20 hp), and I never seen 10 + 10 = 21 hp or more. Another example of complications, Injen claims a 14.7 hp gain from their short air intake for the RSX-S, but the footnote shows the figure is obtained with their intake in tandem with a Thermal Research catback exhaust.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Here's one thing I've learned when buying parts of all kinds. Don't pay much attention the the claimed gains of the product bc it's all varies on climate, dyno, ect. Pay attention more at the design of the actual product, diameter of piping, bends, ect. If u know what ur looking at u can immediately tell what product will make more power.

·
Registered
1 Posts
upgrade exhaust system

This is just info on an aftermarket dealer web-site (info on web is not necessarily fact), where the HKS Silent Power exhaust for the CR-Z gives the same horsepower gain whether catback or axleback, except that the catback has an additional resonator which reduces 'droning' noise while cruising. Also, many technical articles and tests show that the individual horsepower gains from an aftermarket intake and exhaust system are not additive, where frequently 10 hp + 10 hp = 9 hp (not 20 hp), and I never seen 10 + 10 = 21 hp or more. Another example of complications, Injen claims a 14.7 hp gain from their short air intake for the RSX-S, but the footnote shows the figure is obtained with their intake in tandem with a Thermal Research catback exhaust.
hi there..I want to upgrade the exhaust system, I have already ran a 2.5" custom pipe from the cat-converter to the rear through a stock muffler for now, and soon to order dc sport 4-2-1 headers. the question is should I leave the stock converter? or get a hi-flow cat? I'm thinking of ordering a magnaflow street series 5x8 oval muffler as well let me know if anyone has any ideas on the setup?Thanks in advanc

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah when I was in high school, I was half ricer (took out air filter and put pantyhose over it) and was very naive...It was a 90 accord not like I could do more damage to it than what was done already lmao...thinking that oh intake is 10 exhaust is 10 so i got 20hp gain right there when really now I know it doesnt work that way at all...but yeah I was looking at footnotes...Ill also look at the bypass valve (rather be safe than sorry)....I was trying to find a company that does headers too, im sure i can find exhaust shop around here to upgrade the midpipe, but as I read the HKS silent exhaust gets same power whether catback or axleback that really reinforces my thoughts on this =P Im doubting that midpipe is really that big of a deal...Thanks all for the information and help, again still waiting on parts to ship here really cant wait...will post vids and pics of sound and everything for you.

HERNZNORMA- The hi-flow cat should help it some, personally I dont like magnaflow I had em on a old mustang I worked on and it worked well just souds too deep, specially for a crz, Its not a truck...thats just personal opinion, but if you got the money to go with hiflo cat than go ahead wouldnt hurt it much, unless your losing too much backpressure from the exhaust already, but if its piping is same I really dont think you would be.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
GOSH So the place I ordered this from is Phantasm located in Raleigh, NC, they originally quoted me on 10 day period before part gets to me...as you can see its been just couple days short of 2 Months, I just got a call saying that the exhaust just got there (the Intake has been there for while just its a 2 hr drive from me, so was waiting on exhaust) so I will go tomorrow afternoon (I get off work at 12) to go pick it up =P...so YAY ME!!! about freaking time...I recommend no one in the area shop at Phantasm, they never updated me once and everytime I called they said they ca me back after calling Tanabe and they never called me up...Hell they didnt even call me up to initally tell me my paypal didnt go through (turned out I wrote wrong email address). But yeah they just toy you around it feels like.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Grtz! Unfortunate that you ran in to a bad vendor, but can't wait to see the after post.

:popcorn:

-Hoi
So I just picked it up, more than likely install tomorrow morning if the shop is open where I am going too...uhm can I say something...they sent me the wrong exhaust...not a bad thing they sent the Tanabe Medallion Touring when I ordered and PAID for the Concept G exhaust...so I lucked out and got the wrong one but its a big upgrade like 300 dollar difference too!!!!!!!! SO HAPPY!!!!

If you guys want pics of it out of box for whatever purpose I will post them by request, sucks I cant install till tomorrow if lucky or if place is closed cuz of holiday weekend, wont be open till Wed. when Military Base opens back up :'(

EDIT: My conscious is getting best of me will call them tomorrow and inform them, even though this seems more a mistake on Tanabe than that shop.

·
Capt'n Jack
9,499 Posts
So I just picked it up, more than likely install tomorrow mornign if th shop is open where I am going too...uhm can I say something...they sent me the wrong exhaust...not a bad thing they sent the Tanabe Medallion Touring when I ordered and PAID for the Concept G exhaust...so I lucked out and got the wrong one but its a big upgrade like 300 dollar difference too!!!!!!!! SO HAPPY!!!! I guess going with bad vendors somehow has its payouts, even though they dont know I got wrong one...when I opened it I was like yup good lets get out of here so I can go home and not have them realize it lol!!!!(
PM'd ya..

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
So I just picked it up, more than likely install tomorrow morning if the shop is open where I am going too...uhm can I say something...they sent me the wrong exhaust...not a bad thing they sent the Tanabe Medallion Touring when I ordered and PAID for the Concept G exhaust...so I lucked out and got the wrong one but its a big upgrade like 300 dollar difference too!!!!!!!! SO HAPPY!!!!

If you guys want pics of it out of box for whatever purpose I will post them by request, sucks I cant install till tomorrow if lucky or if place is closed cuz of holiday weekend, wont be open till Wed. when Military Base opens back up :'(

EDIT: My conscious is getting best of me will call them tomorrow and inform them, even though this seems more a mistake on Tanabe than that shop.

Mike.. the Medallion is my favorite exhaust of all the ones I have seen.. although I would probably get a shop to fab up a midpipe for me too... and maybe pick up one of whocares cat deletes.... looking forward to hearing how you like it!

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Mike.. the Medallion is my favorite exhaust of all the ones I have seen.. although I would probably get a shop to fab up a midpipe for me too... and maybe pick up one of whocares cat deletes.... looking forward to hearing how you like it!
Yeah was planning to go the whocares route and maybe the P2R downpipe still debating it out and waiting on more funds lol

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So here are 2 pics of engine bay and a Video for the exhaust as the Tanabe video I think sucks for it...too much wind noise in background...what also is interesting is it seems like you can hear the CAI in the background...but in person the CAI is virtually silent unless you actually try and listen for it =P Sorry for ****ty camera quality...recorded on my cell phone, Samsung Epic.

Engine Auto part Vehicle Car Fuel line

Vehicle Car Engine Auto part Honda

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Nice setup so far :) but please get a bypass valve for you intake, you don't wanna hurt your CR-Z with that cai.
I actually want too...I am probably going to call someone up tomorrow about it...dont know how to install them or any information on them...so if you know any links to one please let me know!!!!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.