Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
If you're an uber hypermiler ...

I hypermiled in a '13 Prius and got worst MPG than hypermiling in my Z, 47/52 respectively.
Interesting.... I only used the published EPA figures for my comparison because I had no better data. I will compare tonight and repost...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Ha, you don't have to, my results are only from me they're statistically unacceptable.
I know I don't HAVE to... I just geek out on this junk.

All else equal, gross cost of ownership, including regular maintenance, periodic service, and fuel, but NOT insurance, Prius is +/-10% lower than Zed.

·
Registered
783 Posts
The Z is great fun to drive. Having been driven around in a Prius (but not admitted driven one myself) I can't imagine being stuck in one for hours a day. I had a 2008 civic hybrid which was reportedly better to drive than a Prius, and the CR-Z blows that out of the water. 80% of the mpg, 200% of the fun.

·
Registered
34 Posts
For more realistic than epa mpg ratings you can always browse through fuelly and a few other websites that are consumer based data trackers. That way you find the real world numbers of each car. Then again, take into account driver demographics and how your willing to drive. Seems that most here unless modded or all city driving are beating the epa ratings with the z. Not sure if the same can be said in regards to the prius c. Just thoight id feed your "excell kick" a bit more.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
:yeahthat: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
37 Posts
CR-Z is lower than CUVs and SUVs but it is definitely not like scraping the ground. My Prelude sits lower than CR-Z.

I feel that the seats are more comfortable after installing Clazzio covers since they have 15mm of padding.

If the fuel efficiency was on the top of the priority list, perhaps it's worth looking in to some diesel cars? I had Golf diesel on my short list at one point.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
If interested in how my mileage has been calculated, feel free to click on my Fuelly. I'm blowing away the EPA numbers, even with the horribly bitter cold we had this past winter. Ok, the Dragon trip took at toll on it but being in SPORT mode and trying to keep up with the cool kids (I never could though - hehehe) will take a toll on fuel mileage. :)

·
Registered
857 Posts
I actually spent some time trying to drive as a "single paw" today. Getting in and out was no hassle without a right arm assist, even with my 48yo knees. Controls are another matter, though I doubt they are any worse than any other car. I could reach across to the CVT shifter with ease, the hand brake not so much. I was happy to have radio controls on the left side of the wheel, but it was rough to use the data buttons without losing my steering. Happily, the mode shift is to the left of the wheel. You should really appreciate the nice responsive steering. You can steer with a finger much of the time and you never have to haul on the wheel (unless you want to). The car (or at least mine) also tracks straight enough that I can let go of the wheel for up to 10 seconds on a straight level road. I had plenty of opportunity to test comfort on my 2500 mile road trip. I have the Clazzios others have mentioned and I didn't get too sore despite up to 9 hours of driving per day.

Honestly, I don't think you will find anything more fun to drive that has an automatic transmission. I think I researched them all because I prefer auto, and this one caught me right away and kept me.

·
Deputy Forum Librarian
4,781 Posts
Honestly, I don't think you will find anything more fun to drive that has an automatic transmission. I think I researched them all because I prefer auto, and this one caught me right away and kept me.
It also helped that this is the coolest car forum out there! Hahahaha! She did her research and we are all witness to that. Look at her posts. :)

·
Registered
857 Posts
Actually, the quality of the forum was a sizeable factor. It showed that people really had affection for their CR-Zs, even after several years. Also that there was a lack of serious problems. As a bonus, there are all kinds of how-to guides so even modding noobs like me can change things. And most of the people are pretty cool in real life if you get the chance to meet them. Especially the chicks. :)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Actually, the quality of the forum was a sizeable factor. It showed that people really had affection for their CR-Zs, even after several years. Also that there was a lack of serious problems. As a bonus, there are all kinds of how-to guides so even modding noobs like me can change things. And most of the people are pretty cool in real life if you get the chance to meet them. Especially the chicks. :)
X2.

·
Registered
146 Posts
A little bit of background on me:

I can see lots of reasons the CR-Z would win out. What I'm looking for is honest input on why it WOULDN'T. What would you folks change, given the chance? Would you choose a CR-Z given these parameters?
Here's my 2% of a dollar. JUST GET IT. :thumbup:

Here's my reco: Buy the 2013 used so you get a good deal. The '13 has an updated battery, a little more power, Sport+ button, and a few other things.

GET THE MANUAL tranny. I was going to get the CVT but I got the MT and I am having a blast with it. It's totally fine on my 110 mile round trip work commute.

I get over 50 MPG in economy mode (hypermiling mind you, keeping my foot off the floor).

Get the EX version if you want a killer stereo.

Now, I realize you asked what we would change. Here you go:

1. Although I think the power is great - especially in 1-3rd gear, if I could get this car to 200 hp, I'd be totally done for a long while. Now the HPD supercharger just came out and that can be a reality for the '13+ models.

2. I would want my passenger window to also be auto like the drivers. I will mod this though.

3. My only other minor gripe is the steering wheel channel button doesn't fast forward (seek or whatever it's called when you hold the button down and it scans forward or backward). I can do it on the main stereo though so it's not much of a gripe.

Other than that, the only things I would change are the things I'm planning to mod. But modding per se is part of the fun!

If you want the advice of someone who just came out of a 430 hp sports car, just get the CR-Z. You'll have a blast and EVERYONE praises how awesome it looks inside and out. Fun fun fun!

21 - 35 of 35 Posts