Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Article Details:

Honda is preparing a gasoline engined version of its 2010 Japanese Car Of The Year award winning CR-Z.
Set to join the one-and-only 128bhp 1.4-litre four-cylinder gasoline engine-13bhp brushless electric motor hybrid version of the CR-Z currently on sale, the new model is planned to run a turbocharged 1.6-litre four-cylinder direct-injection VTEC engine under development at Honda's Tochigi R&D centre in Japan as part of an engine downsizing program aiming to boost fuel economy across the Honda line-up.
Details remain scarce, but sources tell TheAutoInsider Honda engineers are developing the new engine in at least two states of tune, a standard version and a possible Type-R version with which they are aiming to match the output of the comapny's 239bhp Japanese specification F22C1 2.2-litre four-cylinder VTEC engine used by the discontinued S2000.
The addition of turbocharging is aimed at boosting torque beyond the F22C1's 163lbft at 6500rpm in a process that would provide the gasoline engine CR-Z with improved driveability over the notoriously peaky S2000, which ceased production in June 2009 after a lengthy ten year model cycle.
The decision to add a gasoline engine to the CR-Z line-up comes after initial heavy demand for the compact two door has begun to wane in the all-important Japanese domestic market.

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
:bsmeter:

that's what i think... Honda has NO INTEREST in removing the Hybrid part of the car... it was designed to be a Hybrid... not to mention the small things in this article seem fishy ie: 128bhp-1.4L which it's really around a 110hp-1.5L IMA system... a 1.6L DIRECT INJECTION??? :blink: yeah, fat chance Honda will introduct DI on the CR-Z when plenty of other cars are in line for an engine change that could greatly benefit from a DI engine... comparisons to the S2K?? wth did this come from?? so random... let's make the CR-Z an "S2K killer" yeah right... the CR-Z has been selling JUST FINE in every market so far, do u really think Honda would want to change something that meets their expectations?? please... i came up with a better, more believable rumor/joke on April fools day...

here's what i gather from this article, nobody should EVER trust one thing on that website and it should be shut down!! :rules:

·
Registered
232 Posts
:bsmeter:

that's what i think... Honda has NO INTEREST in removing the Hybrid part of the car... it was designed to be a Hybrid... not to mention the small things in this article seem fishy ie: 128bhp-1.4L which it's really around a 110hp-1.5L IMA system... a 1.6L DIRECT INJECTION??? :blink: yeah, fat chance Honda will introduct DI on the CR-Z when plenty of other cars are in line for an engine change that could greatly benefit from a DI engine... comparisons to the S2K?? wth did this come from?? so random... let's make the CR-Z an "S2K killer" yeah right... the CR-Z has been selling JUST FINE in every market so far, do u really think Honda would want to change something that meets their expectations?? please... i came up with a better, more believable rumor/joke on April fools day...

here's what i gather from this article, nobody should EVER trust one thing on that website and it should be shut down!! :rules:

Well said. This reminds me of the "inside sources" who have been saying "iPhone coming to Verizon next month!" since the iPhone was released in '07. They need page hits.

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
Well said. This reminds me of the "inside sources" who have been saying "iPhone coming to Verizon next month!" since the iPhone was released in '07. They need page hits.
Apple approached Verizon first b4 even going to AT&T... they couldn't work out a deal originally... now the iPhone will be on Verizon around Jan/Feb 2011... that's what my inside sources tell me... but i think there are other phones that surpassed the iPhone, like the Galaxy S/EVO/etc... so it's a little too late IMO...

·
Registered
232 Posts
I'm aware, and I would assume the iPhone will be going red soon enough since the iPad has. I'm just saying, "inside sources" have been saying the jump was immanent for three years. Inside sources often blow smoke or know far less than they think they do. Seeing is believing.

On a side note, I don't see the iPhone heading to Verizon until they have implemented LTE since CDMA currently lacks the ability to transmit voice and data simultaneously. I did read recently, however, that Verizon is working hard on giving CDMA this ability. We shall see I guess.

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/verizon-working-simultaneous-voice-and-data-cdma/2010-10-11

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'm aware, and I would assume the iPhone will be going red soon enough since the iPad has. I'm just saying, "inside sources" have been saying the jump was immanent for three years. Inside sources often blow smoke or know far less than they think they do. Seeing is believing.

On a side note, I don't see the iPhone heading to Verizon until they have implemented LTE since CDMA currently lacks the ability to transmit voice and data simultaneously. I did read recently, however, that Verizon is working hard on giving CDMA this ability. We shall see I guess.

Verizon working on simultaneous voice and data for CDMA - FierceWireless
I doubt they are working on getting voice and data to work simultaneously anymore. CDMA is out the door, they're putting all their efforts in deploying lte by december in the 38 cities they announced.

·
Registered
232 Posts
my reply was simply to say that while it took a while, the iPhone is actually going to come out on Verizon... unlike the CR-Z that will never be sold as a non-hybrid form...
True. My comparison may not have been the best, but you see where I'm coming from.

I doubt they are working on getting voice and data to work simultaneously anymore. CDMA is out the door, they're putting all their efforts in deploying lte by december in the 38 cities they announced.
You know, I would agree, but all of the articles related to this are dated from October of this year. :bored: Maybe it's a multi-front effort knowing that it will take quite a while to get LTE in every market. I don't know.

Regardless, I think the rumors of a non-hybrid CRZ are hogwash.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Apple is usually late to the party launching support for networks. 3G was a late addition to the phone. They usually wait until the network is robust and mainstream before building the chipset for those phones.

back on topic: the CR-Z will more likely get an upgraded battery or electric motor before it drops the hybrid badge IMO.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I love how this thread went from CR-Z Type-R to iPhone/Verizon :D

Anyway, agreed. This whole thing is pure shens. I think there may be merit behind the turbo-kit but I doubt it will ever be offered as a standard vehicle. How many other Honda vehicles are stock turbo?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.