Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After I got my CRZ EX NAVI, I had heated two tone leather seats, a power moonroof, and a backup camera installed. I did this myself so to speak. A buddy got a new car and wanted the same stuff on his. The aftermarket salesman at the dealer told him they had reputable off site merchants that did that work for them and they could do all the pricing and work it out right there on the spot. So he did, and it was going to be around $3300 altogether. He brought them his car on the appointed day, and picked it up three days later. When he went to get his car, they (mistakenly) presented him with the bill from the aftermarket place for $2250. He paid it and went home. He received a call a couple of days later from the dealer saying they had charged him the wrong amount, and that the price they agreed on was $3300. He stated they he paid the amount they gave him and he had an itemized receipt from the business stating so. So what was the $1050 extra for. They kind of stammered and said, actually said, "dealer markup." He said he already paid his bill that was presented to him and he wasn't paying anymore for their mistake in giving him the receipt before they transferred it to Honda letterhead and added an extra $1000, or nearly double the cost for dealer markup, and better luck next time screwing over some gullible jackass.

So just in case you didn't already know, don't go through the dealership for anything, as you will get ripped off.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Agreed! our closest Honda dealer is a Stealership. ANY car they sell comes with $1600 in "packages" including paint and upholstery treatments, windshield coatings to "seal the pore space in the glass" and so forth. When we first walked in the door, they told us that of course we didn't have to take the packages if we didn't want them. When we sat down to negotiate the ordering of a CRZ, the manager told us ALL cars had to include the extras but he would give them to us at dealer cost of $900. We asked for the new price with the supposed $700 discount, and the packages still magically added up to $1400. Needless to say, we did NOT purchase a car there. I can't believe anyone would buy all that stuff but I guess the convenience of not having to drive a long way to the next closest dealer is a draw to many buyers.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I work at a Honda Dealer and it is sad that there are dealers out there like this. It gives us a bad name. We offer things like leather and sunroofs from a outside contractor but dont make much profit from it. We do put it under the 3year 36k bumper/bumper warranty though. We dont hide any of our charges either, if you dont want a clear nose mask we'll find you a car with out one. dont want the appearance protection? we wont charge for it. Unfortunately it is the only way some dealerships can make money any more because everyone comes in and thinks they deserve to pay less for a car than the dealership owns it for. I had a couple offer to pay $800 less for the car than our actual cost and then wanted us to pay their taxes, tags, and other fees. Its a vicious cycle that is bad for everyone. No one wants a business to make any money at all but dont understand that they have to pay building leases, utilities, payroll, advertising, ect. you cant pay your bills by loosing $2000 on each car. I feel bad that you had a bad experience because it shouldnt be that way. If anyone wants a CRZ with no pressure or BS come see me at the Honda dealer in Westminster, CO.

·
Capt'n Jack
9,499 Posts
Yea, always go in with eyes wide open.

Stealerships are in the game to make money. If they can't get you on the front end (dealer installed upgrades) then they work the back end (warranty, gap, treatments etc). But, the sales person and other staff have to make a living and of course their evaluations usually include how good they are at selling those add ons. They have family's too... and a job is a good thing to have now-a-days...

Just the game you have to play... and of course if not comfortable - walk away..

I play it twice every 4 years or so as I trade mine and the wife's car for new stuff. Like driving new stuff but always somewhat aggravating.. Guess I am a masochist. :blush:

·
Registered
582 Posts
i guess everyone know that the dealer is where you get the car and then dont ever go back there again unless you have probleme under warranty. ex.just a oil change they dont make money whit that service so now the on board computer tell you went to oil change and most of the time i go to 12 to 13000klm before the thing tells me that my oil is 15% and ready to be change wath hapen to every 5000 klm??? do they make better oil or engine????f...the onboard computer mine is being change every 5000klm elsewere by the time it matters your car wont be under warranty anymore and the dealer will have saved on all these oil changes.

·
Registered
91 Posts
The pinstrips were peeling off my new Prius - dealer said the independent installer was on-site and to bring it right over. The installer replaced them at no charge. I asked the installer how much to do one of my other cars? He said $25 for individuals and will do it at your home or business. But, he said he only charges dealers $15 due to volume. The dealers around here charge you $70 => 367% markup!!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.