Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after a fill-up today I decided to try neutral coasting downhill instead of leaving it in 6th and letting it recharge the battery.

On my usually trip from the gym that I would average ~45MPG I got 53.5MPG. Going to try it on a tank or two and see if i can get a substantial improvement.

Anyone played with this? To the 6MT owners - do you leave it in gear to take advantage of the regen or do you throw it in neutral and coast?

·
Registered
693 Posts
So after a fill-up today I decided to try neutral coasting downhill instead of leaving it in 6th and letting it recharge the battery.

On my usually trip from the gym that I would average ~45MPG I got 53.5MPG. Going to try it on a tank or two and see if i can get a substantial improvement.

Anyone played with this? To the 6MT owners - do you leave it in gear to take advantage of the regen or do you throw it in neutral and coast?
I throw it in neutral an coast if I can maintain a reasonable speed without having to touch the brakes. But if the grade of the hill is too steep and the car is going to get going too fast to cruise along without, either running into other drivers or risking getting a ticket, I will coast in gear. I don't pay too much attention to maintaining battery state if charge because mine almost never goes below 4 bars... unless I have just come off of a sporty run when I an not thinking about fuel economy:rolleyes:

·
Registered
234 Posts
coasting with gear in: no fuel is injected - the mpg bar goes to zero
coasting in neutral: engine runs normal and injects fuel - mpg bar not zero since you reach 18mph (engine shuts off if you hit the brakes slightly)

·
Registered
664 Posts
I throw it in neutral an coast if I can maintain a reasonable speed without having to touch the brakes. But if the grade of the hill is too steep and the car is going to get going too fast to cruise along without, either running into other drivers or risking getting a ticket, I will coast in gear. I don't pay too much attention to maintaining battery state if charge because mine almost never goes below 4 bars... unless I have just come off of a sporty run when I an not thinking about fuel economy:rolleyes:
man, when i first got the car, i always thought i should be doing regen braking/engine braking all the time. after i read your comment yesterday i thought i'd give it a try and neutral coast whenever i can and save the regen braking for coming to stop lights or other times i know i need to slow down.. and by doing so, i was still able to keep 6 bars+ on the IMA the whole time. i went from doing roughly 30-32mpg in the city to almost 40!! thanks for the tip!!

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm at about 60 miles so far in the neutral coast experiment and have at least 10% gain in gas mileage. I did run the battery all the way down to 1 bar yesterday - wasn't sure it was even possible :)

·
Registered
664 Posts
you didn't recharge the IMA the whole time? i find it really easy and fast to recharge the IMA from 1-6 bars. getting the 7th and 8th bar seem to take forever sometimes

but yea, this neutral coasting is really helping me in the city big time. my city trips before is what always hurt my MPG. not any longer!

·
Registered
320 Posts
I do a lot of both, its all a bunch of tactics (which makes it all the more fun to drive) Neutral coasting does do wonders for your mpg but I try not to let the battery go under half either, its quite the game.

·
Registered
618 Posts
If you find while coasting in neutral that you need to brake to a stop, shift into a gear that's a little lower than what you would have been in (like a downshift, except you weren't in gear to begin with) and apply foot braking while simultaneously engine braking. Glance at the dash and brake until you see the downshift light come on (6MT). It will give you more than enough warning before you would stall, and you can do this without overly lugging the engine.

The CR-Z's regenerative braking is not from the disc brakes themselves but from the IMA motor. You can't recharge the battery if braking while in neutral.

This will allow you opportunities to direct some charge back into the batteries.

·
Registered
669 Posts
^^ I agree. I'll decide to coast in neutral after a quick glance at the IMA charge status. If full, there is nothing to be gained by leaving it in gear to regenerate so I'll pop it in neutral. Also, is it just me or do you think of the Borg every time you type 'regenerate'?

·
Registered
320 Posts
While the subject is up, im curious to know from you other 6mt owners, how low (in RPMs) can you go with that? I follow JnC's technique but always push the clutch once im down to 1100 RPMs, I never see the downshift light and I feel nervous about staying in gear braking below 1000. So, how low can you go? :p

·
Registered
175 Posts
^ If you never see the (down-)shift light, then you probably use to drive in sport mode where the lights don't work. And there is no shift light while driving w/ cruise control.
I usually drive in Econ and if I want to see the downshift light w/o accelerating, I have to go down to about 1200-1300 rpm on flat road.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I do drive in sport mode at least half the time, but I never see the downshift indication in normal. Can you brake all the way to 5-600 RPMs or is it going to stall before that? Im too nervous to to do trial and error :p

·
Registered
175 Posts
To slow down moderately I shift down 6th-5-4-3 at about 3000 rpm or lower (min.1200). At ~1200 rpm in the 3rd I shift to neutral. Just my way of driving. So I don't know anything about lower revs. But since the engine is idling at ~750 it might not be a good idea to go below that. Just my opinion, not an expertise.

·
Registered
320 Posts
To slow down moderately I shift down 6th-5-4-3 at about 3000 rpm or lower (min.1200). At ~1200 rpm in the 3rd I shift to neutral. Just my way of driving. So I don't know anything about lower revs. But since the engine is idling at ~750 it might not be a good idea to go below that. Just my opinion, not an expertise.
Sounds allmost exactly like what I've been doing, I never try to regen-brake in 1st or 2nd.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I used to do this more in all our previous cars. However, since we're usually trying to maximize regeneration, I've been coasting down in 6th with very light brake pedal application (look to see the regen bar graph show lots of green). Or as noted, I'll pop it into neutral early if the battery is already full.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts