Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Really, really want to pull the trigger on a blue CRZ. But I've got so many doubts that I need some reassurance.

I'm driving a gas hog of a Hummer H3. It gets 15 mpg, and my 64 mile round trip is costing me $80/week. With the payment and gas it's running me $700/month. I figure the CRZ payment will be $350. Driving 1200 miles per month, I've calculated gas would be about $80/month. That's a savings of $280/month. Anyone care to check my math, please do. And, what are you spending for gas/month?

The advantage of the H3 is the couple of snows we get in DC each year. Anyone driven a CRZ in snow yet? I guess I can always buy a beater to drive in snow.

Anyone want to be the one that pushes me over the edge?

·
Registered
298 Posts
I'm driving a gas hog of a Hummer H3. It gets 15 mpg, and my 64 mile round trip is costing me $80/week. With the payment and gas it's running me $700/month. I figure the CRZ payment will be $350. Driving 1200 miles per month, I've calculated gas would be about $80/month. That's a savings of $280/month. Anyone care to check my math, please do. And, what are you spending for gas/month?
I haven't checked my exact gas budget yet, but I'm running just below two fillups a month (@10gal each). How you drive the car will impact your monthly gas number a lot...assuming $3.50/gal for gas, at only $80/mo, you'd have to get 52.5mpg...not with this car.

Calculator:
Code:
1200 mi * 1 gal * $3.50 = $80
          -----   -----   
          52.5mi   gal
Replace and solve as needed...at 35MPG, you'd be looking at $120/mo. If you can get it up to 40MPG, $105. (I'm getting closer to the 40MPG when the weather warms up, which is going to be more of the year for you). Of course, depends if that price is reasonable for your area, too.

The advantage of the H3 is the couple of snows we get in DC each year. Anyone driven a CRZ in snow yet? I guess I can always buy a beater to drive in snow.
I'm coming from a somewhat larger car, but nothing like your H3. The CR-Z feels different in the snow, but I haven't had any trouble driving through several inches of the stuff. The stock tires aren't great for it, but IMO they seem to break in a lot better than they come new (maybe need a thread for that, I've actually been pretty pleased with the tires lately). I'm in Cleveland, which means that we get a lot more snow, but we're better at clearing it (off the main streets, anyway). I did manage to make it in to work without a single concern a few weeks ago, when we got 6-12" dropped overnight, and none of the side streets had even been plowed yet. The traction control is good.

Have you driven one yet? It'll be a very different experience after you've been sitting up high...I'm guessing you'll either love it or hate it.

·
Registered
982 Posts
I would drive some cars. The CRZ is different than most. Go drive a two door civic, mini cooper, and other small two doors. I knew after owning and driving other cars in the past what I was looking for and when I looked at and drove the CRZ I was sold.

I also like Honda products and now that the aftermarket is starting to get with the program I think you will see more interest in the car.

I had a 2006 Civic ex 2 door for 1 year and that was a nice little car. I thought I had to have a truck so I bought a 2010 Tundra 5.7. It was very nice but at 13 mpg city it was killing me.

Look at mine. Its all stock with only Honda extras. I think it looks good and it gets a lot of positive attention.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I drive 70 miles a day total to and from work. I have a bit of a heavy foot so right now the car says i have an average of 32.2mpg. I fill up twice a week and it costs about $25 to fill. I love the car and im standing behind you trying to push you over the edge.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
382 Posts
Really, really want to pull the trigger on a blue CRZ. But I've got so many doubts that I need some reassurance.

WOW lucky you, the H3 only cost you $700 a month for paymeny and gas. I had a Dodge Ram 2500 4X4 Hemi Payment and gas was $1100 a month.

Payment and gas for my new CR-Z is $400 a month, which is actually less than what I would be paying in gas alone with today's gas prices if I was still driving my Dodge Ram.

J

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the math check Smythe. I guess I should expect 32-35 mpg with the way I drive, so that will drive gas cost up a bit, but it beats 14 that I'm getting now.

I personally think it's one of the sharpest cars out right now. If they do make a vert, then there's no way I won't have one.

Just need the dealer to give me a decent trade on the H3, and it might be done today.

I hear you J. Fortunately I got a good deal and rate on the H3 so the payment is low. Filled it up today for $58. That will get me to Sunday. I bought the H3 when we lived out west before I was transferred to DC. If I had known then where I would be stationed, I'd have passed on it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
i can tell you one thing that helps me is my subaru has to have high octane which was 3.73(last time i checked) i have eeked out 30 on it, but that defeats the purpose of it. i like that i can drive the way my WRX is supposed to be driven while in the crz and average way over my best days

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm real close. Weather was too bad today to go drive it. The thing we need to decide is if we can manage with a 2-seater since we are a family of 5. Our other vehicle is an Odyssey. I'll have the weekend to think about it since my Monday is tomorrow.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I'm real close. Weather was too bad today to go drive it. The thing we need to decide is if we can manage with a 2-seater since we are a family of 5. Our other vehicle is an Odyssey. I'll have the weekend to think about it since my Monday is tomorrow.
Get a car with a back seat!

When the kids are grown and it's just you and the wife, then splurge on a 2 seater, but if you have a family of 5, and just 2 cars, you need a back seat.

I have a CRZ and a Honda Fit. The Fit gets almost as good fuel economy as the CRZ (35 mpg vs 38 mpg*) and can fit twice as much stuff as the CRZ. Sure it's not nearly as sexy. But my Fit is faster than my CRZ*:pP:

*6MT CRZ vs 5MT Fit

·
Registered
75 Posts
I struggled with that decision also being I have 2 kids and a wife. I was gonna buy a civic hybrid but could not find one around here anywhere. In looking I found a couple of 2010 models left and was gonna get one of those but we could not resist this little car. Our other cars are a 2003 accord ex-v6 coupe and an 04 accord ex-v6 4 dr. We are giving my accord coupe to our oldest son but he will be around the house for a while so we will have two 4 seat cars around just in case. I have only had mine 24 hours but am really enjoying it so far.

·
Registered
177 Posts

I don't think you really need much pushing. Based on this post I think you already know what you need to do. It's pretty obvious to me. As far as your later post about family of 5, that issue is already taken care of with your other vehicle.

I'm not going to push you, all you need is for me to pull you over to our side!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
50 Posts
We are a family of 5 with an Odyssey as our other car as well. I was getting rid of a 4 door Mitsubishi Galant and my wife was concerned about the two seat issue. I asked her, in all the years I've had the car can you remember one time you or I took 2 or more kids in my Galant instead of taking the van? She couldn't think of an instance, and neither could I.

It's pretty simple... if three or more are going together, take the van. If the two left behind want to go anywhere, the CR-Z seats two. The only time it would ever be a problem is if for whatever reason the van is taken with two or less people. In that case the question needs to be asked, why didn't they take the CR-Z? It's more fun to drive anyway!!!

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
With good winter tires... the CR-Z does really well in the snow and ice we have had in Denver this winter. No problems at all. And I love it when I fill up... which isn't that often. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for all the feedback. Sleighman, thanks for the info on the armrest. Hammersmith, my thoughts exactly...I'm always in my H3 alone...4500lb car to move 180lbs 35 miles.

It's going to be one seriously long weekend.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.