Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So lately my car has gotten really dirty and I havent been able to wash it due to the weather and ice storms, blah blah blah.

Actually the dirt/salt buildup on the car has brought something to my attention: my neighbor. When getting in my car last night (the first time in about a week - I walk to work daily) I noticed three little clean spots on my driver door. They are from his door impacting mine :angry:

Upon investigation I've discovered three areas of scuffy paint - and Im not happy. I can manage to get in & out of my car w/o hitting his, why cant he do the same?

Anyway, since I dont know what apartment he lives in, I wrote him a fairly polite letter and left it on his windshield. (it's assigned parking, he's the only culprit). Im sure these can be buffed out w/o much problem, but it's still a big inconvenience and something Im not paying for. If he managed to get me three times in just a week, I cant let this go on.

So here's where I need your advice: if he's a total duesch about it and refuses to take responsibility, what are my options? Can I file a police report for door dings? I know it sounds extreme, but like I said I need for this not to continue at a rate of 3x per week.

Thx guys

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Why not talk to the super in your building? Im sure he/she would be willing to help on the matter and give some insight. Cuz they have been dealing with stuff like this for a lot longer than we have.

Personally tho, in my lot we have big spaces, and i give a lot of room. Im less worried about cars dinging me, but more a*sholes cutting through the lot with a bike or groceries and brushing up against the car.

·
Registered
262 Posts
This really sucks. It's unfortunate that there are such inconsiderate people around, assuming they can't help themselves. For example, could he/she partially disabled and have difficulty getting in and out of their car? If so, they should be able to get some special spot in the lot (and well away from your car!). But, this doesn't immediate solve your problem, so you may want to consider some other alternatives, i.e., protecting your doors from this person, at least when parked at home. I don't mean hanging out with a shotgun :angry:, but some aftermarket gadgets to protect your door(s) from getting dinged any further. Here are some that I've seen:

Door Guard - Door Protector - Car Door Guard - Car Door Protector - StacksandStacks.com.

Amazon.com: Door Shox (VALET EDITION) - Car Door Protector, Car Door Guard, Car Door Protection, Door Ding Dent Protector: Automotive

Car Door Protection Products - Prevent Dents, Dings, Scratches, and Scrapes - DoorDefender®

I don't like most of these, and it's a shame you may have to resort to this. In addition to the hassle of having to be constantly installing and removing these, there's also the possibility that you will be scratching the surface of your paint due to dirt accumulation.

One final suggestion to consider is a magnetic mat that can be colored to match your car so it doesn't look so bad. This also be susceptible to the scratching issue, but it may also be the least tacky-looking.

·
Registered
270 Posts
One final suggestion to consider is a magnetic mat that can be colored to match your car so it doesn't look so bad. This also be susceptible to the scratching issue, but it may also be the least tacky-looking.
I was going to say something like this too. If it's always in the same general spot, maybe you could put something magnetic to cover the area when parked (obviously don't have to leave it on all the time).

Other than that, I'm no help. I park on the street & Sherman (our CRZ) already got two big scratches on our rear corner bumper from a snow plow...and we know parking on the street he's gonna get beat up a lot more in the future (pretty much inevitable where we live).

·
Registered
28 Posts
Only option really is to catch the person in the act if they refuse to be of any help.

As a police officer, I would only recommend filing a report in two circumstances.

If you plan to file it on your insurance you will need a police report. If you are looking to press charges, there will need to be some evidence. Unless there is paint transfer from your neighbors vehicle on yours that is clearly the same color, you lack evidence.

The only evidence that exists shows that something happened to the car, but not where, when, who.

Hopefully you can resolve this by your neighbor being a stand up person, but if not I'd either park elsewhere, get something to protect it as others have suggested, or get over it.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
^ dont mean to disagree with the law, but i had my car backed into in one of my parking lots at at an apartment i was at. The damage had yellow paint transfer on my car and the only yellow car in the lot had missing paint in the exact spot i was hit. the damage was exactly matching, i knew this car hit me no doubt. Called the police, and they said that since there was no witness i couldnt do anything. the driver of the vehicle lied about everything to the police when we confronted him. Denied everything.

I was stuck with an 800 dollar repair bill.

OP.

IMO, and i dont know how the law works in your area, but witnesses/video evidence is key. Paint matching never worked for me. I still have the pictures on my laptop i can even post them to show you how exact the damage was. Still didnt get anywhere with the police.

·
Registered
64 Posts
If my car gets dinged and obvious culprit's car/truck is still parked there I go old school. I carry snips in the glove box and I know where their valve stems are. :angry:
THEY DINGED YOUR CAR 3 TIMES! Thats BS!
If its their passenger side door then its probably their kids and/or 400lb spouse doin it.
That's the worse thing about owning a new or nice car, and the reason I don't end up driving mine as much as I'd like.
Al

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
ok if he does the right thing by you then good for you. If he does not then i would wait some time since you did leave a note and nothing came about it then after a month or so flatten the tires or dent his. But by waiting he may not suspect you, unless he keeps doin it, then meet him at the flag pole and show him the business. Maybe you could get a strip of clear bra and cover the whole door so there are no lines to see.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I would not recommend doing anything to his car, you will only walk out to your's one day and see your windsheild bashed in, tires slit, ect ect.

Maybe figure out his daily arrival and either watch, or sit in your car where he can't see you(if it's dark or your windows are fairly tinted), and if you are in your car you will hear and feel it if he hits your car. Then go from there.

I hate dirt bags, evidently he has a piece of ****te car!!! Good Luck!!!!!

yes I got ****, thats a piece of poo-poo car!!

·
Registered
675 Posts
i seriously wish people would hold their door's edges with their hands where it can hit someone else's door while coming out.. if you know what i mean hahaha.

·
Capt'n Jack
9,499 Posts
If my car gets dinged and obvious culprit's car/truck is still parked there I go old school. I carry snips in the glove box and I know where their valve stems are. :angry:
THEY DINGED YOUR CAR 3 TIMES! Thats BS!
If its their passenger side door then its probably their kids and/or 400lb spouse doin it.
That's the worse thing about owning a new or nice car, and the reason I don't end up driving mine as much as I'd like.
Al
:cry: Reminder to self. Do not park next to Ammocj.. :hi5:

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow, thanks for the links!! I was going to go buy a large piece of styrofoam board to put between our cars, haha! I just bought some from the 3rd link - Im very excited!! They are magnetic, but covered with felt :thumbsup:

Thanks to everyone for your opinions and for having my back :hi5: - trust me I would love to go all postal on his cars ass, but 1. I doubt he'd care, and 2. I fear further damages to my baby!

We're randomly assigned parking spots in our condo garage, and this guy just moved in recently. He always backs in so it's his drivers door facing mine. He's not handicapped, or overweight, elderly, etc. He just doesnt care about his old Camry like I care about my new CR-Z.

Anyways, Im leaving town after work for the weekend but I'll keep you guys updated.

PS now I get to wait for my Door Denders! to arrive - FedEx two-dayed that ****.

·
Capt'n Jack
9,499 Posts
Good job Gitano. Problem solved and on record for others who may have the same issues.

Thanks for contributing.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Glad the suggestions were useful, CrzyKly. Perhaps when this guys sees the door protector, he may get a dose of consideration, which he clearly has been lacking. Now, let's hope this really does solve the problem and that he doesn't wind up knocking the protector off or maybe taking it!! If that happens, let us know and we'll all pay him a little visit!! :shadyhat: :scared: :bricks:

·
Capt'n Jack
9,499 Posts
Or at least move your car after you ding the door :p
Good point.
:rolleyes:
A sense of humor is required. It is just a forum... :hi5: To learn, collaborate and enjoy.

·
Registered
262 Posts
CrzyKly, I thought of another possible option for you. Why not just trade parking spots with the guy. :pat: This may be easier, and if indeed he always parks the say way, you will be on the other side of him and somewhat better protected. Of course, whoever is parked on the other side of you now may then have to worry. But hey, that would then be their problem. Perhaps they don't care as much about their cars as you do about yours, and everyone will be happy. Better yet, it may be fun to watch if a door-slinging-car-denting slugfest starts up between them!:popcorn:

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
how do thoughs stay on? And that should give him the idea that you care and maybe he wont do that anymore, stinks that you have to go that far and pay money to let people relize how inconsiderate they are.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.