Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that the CR-Z has hit U.S. shores, can you all SAFELY take some pic's of your MPG's going down the freeway in Eco mode or even in normal doing bout 75 MPH so I can show the missus? Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Now that the CR-Z has hit U.S. shores, can you all SAFELY take some pic's of your MPG's going down the freeway in Eco mode or even in normal doing bout 75 MPH so I can show the missus? Thank you in advance!
I can tomorrow, but at 65mph, it's in the 40-5-mpg range.

I'll snap some pics tomorrow on a non busy section.

·
Registered
376 Posts
:police: I am pretty sure taking pictures in a moving vehicle is against the law in some States and not to mention it is unsafe. Unless you have a passenger take the pictures for you.

If your wife wants to know real world mpg than the average after the vehicle has been driven for a certain distance and park in a safe place would suffice. :mellow:

I believed some member on here have been driving the CR-Z for awhile and can give a good testimonial on real world MPG. I believed there are threads indicating so. They also tell you what type of driving style they use. :thumbup: It is pretty hard to not use sport mode in this baby.:giggle:

But if you want pure ECON mode than I am pretty sure you can get great mileage out of this vehicle. :popcorn:

Originally Posted by Shatner
I'm going to run some errands. It's raining, so I'm not really sure if I'll be able to snap a pick. I will if I can, though.
Shatner keep it safe in the rain. :pP:

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
:police: I am pretty sure taking pictures in a moving vehicle is against the law in some States and not to mention it is unsafe. Unless you have a passenger take the pictures for you.

If your wife wants to know real world mpg than the average after the vehicle has been driven for a certain distance and park in a safe place would suffice. :mellow:

I believed some member on here have been driving the CR-Z for awhile and can give a good testimonial on real world MPG. I believed there are threads indicating so. They also tell you what type of driving style they use. :thumbup: It is pretty hard to not use sport mode in this baby.:giggle:

But if you want pure ECON mode than I am pretty sure you can get great mileage out of this vehicle. :popcorn:

Shatner keep it safe in the rain. :pP:
Thanks. And I agree it's very unsafe. But I managed to get a few. In Normal mode. It was pretty difficult; my Droid's shutter has a slight delay.

I don't advise anyone doing this; it's very dangerous and I actually feel kinda bad about it. But I did make sure there where no cars close to me.

I was cruising at the speeds shown, keeping speed. ~48mpg in each pic. Don't mind the fuel gauge. It's hard to keep my foot out of it.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Damn Shatner...U R crazy. I have to take a couple of these :beer: to relax. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
200 Posts
I've put about 700mi on my car. One trip right after I bought it I reset the mpg and trip counter in Texarkana drove straight through to the East side of Dallas. Eco mode the whole time with cruise set at about 72mph. Got almost exactly 40MPG on that stretch which is relatively flat and arrow straight. Around town I have been between 35.5 and 36.5 MPG. Most of that is on roads with stoplights every 1/4 mile and 45-55mph. I don't drive across the major traffic of the city as I work very close to home. Nor do I eco drive or hypermile but I do make a point when im moving at a steady pace to stay in the highest gear possible (usually 6th). Acceleration-wise I am usually wanting to go faster than everyone else who are content to just run along in their SUVs at a snails pace.

That should give you an idea or what to expect and is probably more accurate than the instantaneous MPG because that varies depending on going up or down a hill, etc. I have the manual so I would expect the CVT to be better all around.

·
Premium Member
3,097 Posts
put her on the phone with me so i can convince her to let u get one :wiggle:
:rotfl:.

Thanks. And I agree it's very unsafe. But I managed to get a few. In Normal mode. It was pretty difficult; my Droid's shutter has a slight delay.

I don't advise anyone doing this; it's very dangerous and I actually feel kinda bad about it. But I did make sure there where no cars close to me.

I was cruising at the speeds shown, keeping speed. ~48mpg in each pic. Don't mind the fuel gauge. It's hard to keep my foot out of it.
THANKS MAN! That is aexactly what I am looking for! BY ALL MEANS, PLEASE BE SAFE!

And when the Mr. is out of the room :popcorn:
Maybe I like to listen......:scared:

I love your Avatar by the way- very cool!

·
Registered
69 Posts
I don't think you can judge mpg by that gauge.

It's a "real time" gauge and depending on how much gas you give it...it can read 15mpg to 75mpg at any given time,0mpg being when the car is off and 100mpg when you aren't giving it any gas.

I could be coasting at 65mph and snap a shot of that gauge reading 100mpg, but then my rpms wouldn't read 3,000. To get the RPMs to read...all you have to do is tap the gas and compress slightly. which will read on that gauge as 50-75mpg depending on how much pressure you put on it. Of course...in this case...enough pressure was put on it to make that gauge read something realistic...however misleading it is.

What needs to be shown is the "info" panel that states how many miles you drove on trip A or Trip B and how many mpg you averaged. And there would have to be a substantial amount of miles on the trip in order to get an accurate reading

Of course you can even trick people by "hypermileing" for 30-40 miles just for the sake of a pictures.

These pictures don't really mean anything and I would be weary of any pictures even with trip and info showing. Your best bet is to look at EPA and hope for EPA or maybe a little better (in Econ mode).

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
The epa number on the window sticker is actually quite a broad average. For the manual the range for city is 25-37 mpg, and highway is 30-44 mpg.
Yet I, and many others get more than the highest listed.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I commute from Orlando to tallahassee twice a week, about 275 miles, it's highway the whole way, I set cruise to 75 on the first trip up and got 40 mpg in econo mode, will try normal on the way back. It handles hills great, assist kicks in no gas engine redline, it quietly hums along.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I commute from Orlando to tallahassee twice a week, about 275 miles, it's highway the whole way, I set cruise to 75 on the first trip up and got 40 mpg in econo mode, will try normal on the way back. It handles hills great, assist kicks in no gas engine redline, it quietly hums along.
Set it to 65mph and see your mileage jump! Tripple Dog Dare you.:p lol

If you do this, stay out of the left lane!

·
Registered
376 Posts
Sorry the first picture is a little blurry but not bad enough where you can't tell. Both taken when I came to a complete stop.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Auto part Mid-size car

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Speedometer Auto part

Anyway wished I'd taken another picture before I started the trip. I happen to take a trip up a mountain from around lowest 350 to 1690 elevation. I'd started out with avg mpg of 40. In sport mode all the way up the mountain which the CR-Z handle relatively well. I've taken the first photo which gave mpg avg of 37.4. Lost some gas there. I was using SPORT mode and heavy on the throttle but not redlining all the way especially the last 20 miles of uphill.

On my wall back down initially used sport mode but since not using throttle switched to ECON. I coast all the way except on a few occasions applied some throttle. When coasting consumption meter was showing 100mpg which is max on the meter but when applied throttle it drop to 50mpg or so. As you can tell from second picture I traveled 48 miles down hill. First 20 miles or so was all downhill and the rest was up and down pretty even out. Ended at 450 elevation. Since I was tired and did not feel the need for speed was switching from 3 different mode depending on if I was going uphill or downhill or coasting.

Not too bad If i said so myself. :spinning::thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sorry the first picture is a little blurry but not bad enough where you can't tell. Both taken when I came to a complete stop.
View attachment 416
View attachment 417

Anyway wished I'd taken another picture before I started the trip. I happen to take a trip up a mountain from around lowest 350 to 1690 elevation. I'd started out with avg mpg of 40. In sport mode all the way up the mountain which the CR-Z handle relatively well. I've taken the first photo which gave mpg avg of 37.4. Lost some gas there. I was using SPORT mode and heavy on the throttle but not redlining all the way especially the last 20 miles of uphill.

On my wall back down initially used sport mode but since not using throttle switched to ECON. I coast all the way except on a few occasions applied some throttle. When coasting consumption meter was showing 100mpg which is max on the meter but when applied throttle it drop to 50mpg or so. As you can tell from second picture I traveled 48 miles down hill. First 20 miles or so was all downhill and the rest was up and down pretty even out. Ended at 450 elevation. Since I was tired and did not feel the need for speed was switching from 3 different mode depending on if I was going uphill or downhill or coasting.

So the first one is "sport mode" up hill? If so those are some great numbers! Thank you.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
View attachment 416
View attachment 417

Not bad at all! :thumbsup: I really wish there where mountains in the Houston area. I bet the Z would be a blast on some tight switchbacks.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Not to be misleading but the number would have been more accurate if I zero out before the trip. Since I did not zero out the AVG on my trip when started; avg on my screen at start of trip was 40MPG and ended at 37.4MPG.

With that said; "Yes" the first picture is all in SPORT mode.

So from the start to up the hill, I lost 2.6MPG average but gained all back coming downhill with mixtures of different mode.

The car handle rather well in ECON mode coming down hill. Forgot to take the corner using SPORT mode. :( But it handle itself well uphill with all the twists and turns.

Now if we have a little more HP under the hood it would be more exhilarating. Hence, turbo charge this baby. :popcorn: But as stock vehicle goes, this is a fun vehicle. Switch from Sport to Econ for fuel economy which ever you desire.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.