Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

Navigation question

3K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  Defiant 
#1 ·
Just bought a black 2016ex 6 speed cr-z recently. I'll have lots of questions along the way and will appreciate any help I can get. Is there anyway to replace the Bluetooth unit with a Honda navigation unit? I presumed my Bluetooth unit had navigation, I was wrong.

#4 ·
An alternative is a stand alone GPS made by any number of companies. I have a Garmin and it works extremely well for very little. The model names and features have changed but they are available with all kinds of features which are more modern than what ever you would get from Honda and if it dies you can buy multiples for what a honda Radio or an aftermarket would cost.

But I can see the point of having it all integrated in one unit. You have to decide what is important to you and then budget accordingly.

#6 ·
When I got mine a few months ago there was a strong indication that if you had a GPS or phone and you could get it to output on HDMI, you could connect it to the HDMI port and have it repeated there. I have not fiddled with that myself yet but suspect it may be an apple only thing, and if its just a repeater not too interested.
it was fairly easy to get them to connect the audio over GPS though and it will voiceover whatever your listening to.

Also in a 2016 EX 6MT in SimpleBlack.

#10 · (Edited)
GPS Navigation does not need Cellular data service ever it connects directly to the satellites. But phones also do not need a constant connection to cellular data either or even cell service at all apparently. I was incorrect in this.:nerd: The down side is you have to update it periodically for things along your trip like hotels, restaurants etc and of course the maps. This is done quarterly on my GPS connected to my computer. Mine has lifetime Maps and traffic service. For OEM ones you have to update them with a CD or a flash drive and there is sometimes a charge.

It comes down to what do you need and what do you want to pay for it. I happen to not have a phone with a data plan or Internet so a standalone GPS was my choice over the $2K retail price for the navigation version of my car.

#9 ·
I'd thought the new radios will do Google Auto. Maybe not. Or, maybe only the nav units have it. I don't know about a swap-out-- the old radios have a GPS antenna living under the dash ahead of the speedo. Unlike a nice Mazda, the GPS isn't just an add-on. Apparently all they need is the SD card to make their radios nav units.

I had the quivering hots for a '16, but I'm glad I wound up with a '15 and its old nav head.

I don't know if the HDMI will accept input on the move. I suspect it won't.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.