Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I purchased an SD card and adapter.

Pushed open on the head unit,
plugged the adapter in (heard it click in),
plugged the SD card into the adapter,
pushed close and the unit beeped but did not close.

Took the SD card out, leaving the adapter in.
Pushed close and the unit beeped but did not close.

Tried removing and reinserting adapter, Each time adapter was in as far it will go (without forcing), but unit fails to close each time.

I notice that adapter is flush in my computer but not in the head unit

has anyone been able to play music from an SD card in a Navi head unit?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I've been able to use SD cards in a USB adapter plugged in to the USB female under the navi in the cubby. It's kinda not seeable from the drivers seat and a great place for a bit of

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
I am ASSUMING that you are trying to use the PCM slot in the NAV unit, yes?

It would appear that the adapter you are using is not compatible with the system, or it isn't fully seated against the pins in back of the slot. Be very careful and dont force it in... you could bend the pins! Try to check out the pins.. make sure they are not already bent. Check out the rear of the adapter, and make sure that no pin holes are blocked... some special adapters dont use all of the pins...

I would try a straight PCM flash card.. or maybe a different brand of adapter...
Amazon.com: SanDisk SDCFH-004G-A11 4GB 30MB/s ULTRA CF Card (US Retail Package): Electronics

I dont know which ones are compatible... but a little Google research should answer that question for you...

Found this in a search (Fron Honda - Same Nav Unit):
================================================
Civic Audio PC Card Troubleshooting Guide
By American Honda Motor Company

All ’06 Civics with the navigation system come with a cool PC card player. It’s included in the audio unit behind the fold-down display screen. It lets you play tunes in both MP3 and WMA format using several popular memory card types.

Unfortunately, there are no error messages or troubleshooting procedures for these memory cards.

Here are some possibilities:

• The PC card might not be fully inserted in the card player slot. Eject the card, and carefully reinsert it. Never force the card into the slot;you could damage the pins in the back of the slot.

• The memory card might have audio files the audio unit doesn’t recognize. This audio unit only recognizes files in MP3 and WMA formats.

• The audio unit might not accept the memory card type. At this time, only ATA cards, CompactFlash, and SD cards have been tested and are known to work.

• CompactFlash and SD memory cards need a PC card adapter to work with the audio unit. There are lots of PC card adapters on the market, but not every memory card will work with every card adapter. The card adapter used might be keeping a known-good flash memory card from playing. Many of these card adapters haven’t been tested.

• The memory card’s storage capacity might be more than 1 GB. Only cards with storage capacities up to 1 GB have been tested.

• The memory card might be blank (there’s nothing on it). If the card has write protection, make sure it’s turned off before loading files onto the card.

• The memory card might have bad sectors or other formatting errors. If this is the case, the card needs reformatting. Use only the FAT or FAT32 format. Never use the NTFS format; the audio unit won’t accept it.

• The memory card might have gotten fried by heat. Remember to eject the card from the audio unit when leaving the vehicle and take it along for safe keeping.

• A hard disc drive (HDD) card is being used. These cards don’t always work with the audio unit and, inside a hot vehicle, they can overheat and shut down. They aren’t recommended.

• The memory card’s filing structure might exceed the allowed specs. The system is designed to work with memory cards with no more than eight folder levels, 99 folders, and 999 total tracks. If any of these limits are exceeded, the audio unit might not display the tune info or play the tunes on the card.

Here’s something else to keep in mind. When inserting a PC card into the audio unit, expect a delay before the CARD button on the display screen works. There’s nothing wrong with the PC card or the audio unit, this delay is normal. The audio unit must read the PC card’s file tag info for album names, artists, and tune titles. Depending on the number of tunes and how complex the folder structure is, this can take some time. You won’t see an hourglass icon on the screen while this is happening, so you’ve just got to be patient and wait for the loading to finish.
================================================

I haven't played with SD cards and adapters myself, but I have used the USB thumb drives (up to 32 gb)and they work well. SD Cards can be very slow depending on what grade they are.. so you might be better off trying something else.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
i didn't read that reply from CRaZee but on my Si-navi i had this issue only when i tried to put in a card with no music on it... basically if u try to put in an empty card then it won't close... other than that i've never had an issue with using it...
Good call, Biz-man! :thumbsup: Apparently the system only recognized WMA and MP3.. none of the more esoteric formats.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies

i didn't read that reply from CRaZee but on my Si-navi i had this issue only when i tried to put in a card with no music on it... basically if u try to put in an empty card then it won't close... other than that i've never had an issue with using it...
sounds strange enough that it is probably that, I had to reformat a USB stick from FAT32 to FAT32 before that would work.

to explain I want to go from USB to SD for the better functionality of track / album listings, which includes a search facility.

I'll report back tomorrow with whether it worked or not.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Thanks for the replies

sounds strange enough that it is probably that, I had to reformat a USB stick from FAT32 to FAT32 before that would work.

to explain I want to go from USB to SD for the better functionality of track / album listings, which includes a search facility.

I'll report back tomorrow with whether it worked or not.
Can you give the manufaturer name and part number for the SD to PC card you have, please?

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
i've heard some issues with certain SD cards... i don't remember the names though... also the storage size might be an issue... i think i used to use a card that was 2GB... but this was years ago that i used it so i can really remember...

when it comes to hardware reading different formats, it's best to just trial/error... but i loved it until i started using my iPod... if you organize it nice and neat on the card ie: putting songs in folder/albums and correct file names... when it displays on the radio it makes it really easy to search and play songs...

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Found an interesting thread on another site...

Navigation PC Card is better than iPod - GreenHybrid - Hybrid Cars

This is from HONDA
techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/om/9B0707/9B0707O00197A.pdf

and

Nav Owners, what PC card reader are you using? - Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

and

PCMCIA size?? - Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Found this for the UK types...

The Hodge Blog | Honda CR-V PC Card – Card, Media Error

Hope some of this helps... I will just stick with my Ipod!

I do have some 32 gb thumb drives I might sell....

·
Registered
1,285 Posts

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Thanks. I've been all over town today and nobody know wtf I'm talking about.
The Sandisk cards are usually pretty compatible with everything I have ever used them on.... and usually easy to find (amazon).

Speed can be an issue with PCM Flash cards, unless you buy the really hi-speed ones like the Sandisk Extreme III series...

The super combo 30 in 1 / 60 in 1 / 1,000,000 in 1 cards tend to be the flakiest... and least compatible..... especially when they are really cheap.. but hey, what do you want for $6.99?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OK, tried same partition that works on the USB, same problem.

Tried just a single song on a FAT16 card, same problem.

Read in manual "you cannot close the display until the PC card is inserted all the way or removed" - I am not going to force it and it will not close.

have emailed dealership and will be taking to them tomorrow - will post results.

Thanks CRaZee - have ordered another adapter from amazon that reviewers have used in Hondas.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
OK, tried same partition that works on the USB, same problem.

Tried just a single song on a FAT16 card, same problem.

Read in manual "you cannot close the display until the PC card is inserted all the way or removed" - I am not going to force it and it will not close.

have emailed dealership and will be taking to them tomorrow - will post results.

Thanks CRaZee - have ordered another adapter from amazon that reviewers have used in Hondas.
Cool.. glad to help! Let us know about it if it works... Brand, price, thoughts on it... ect...

Good luck with it!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Ok, so to get this working I need a Flash card, a flashcard adaptor and a reader to hook up to my comp. :rolleyes:

Is it really worth switching to over an SD->USB? What other functions does it have? I'm fine w/ the SD-USB, but if it's more functional w/ the flash card and worth it I might switch.

What's the draw? So far it just looks like wasted money. Can someone explain? I just retired CDs when I bought this car a month ago.

Thanks.:hi5:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok, so to get this working I need a Flash card, a flashcard adaptor and a reader to hook up to my comp. :rolleyes:

Is it really worth switching to over an SD->USB? What other functions does it have? I'm fine w/ the SD-USB, but if it's more functional w/ the flash card and worth it I might switch.

What's the draw? So far it just looks like wasted money. Can someone explain? I just retired CDs when I bought this car a month ago.

Thanks.:hi5:
Flash card adapter and reader maybe combined as a single item.

USB functionalily cons 1)does not list the folder structure on the USB, just lists the folders music in them. 2)mine will only give me the name of the 1st 95 folders dispite being able to reader all 300 folders. 3)It does not recognise playlists. 4)the folders are arranged based on the order they were copied to the usb. it can be complete guess work to find the folder I want.

SD functionality (according to the manual) pros 1)can play by folder, artist and album and 2)includes a search facility and 3)Has more voice commands. ok still does not recognise playlists but since I don't use them something I can compromise on.

I believe that ipods are overpriced for what they are and hate the fact it is the only mp3 player that is properly catered for by Honda, other car manufacuters and aftermarket ICE.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Flash card adapter and reader maybe combined as a single item.

USB functionalily cons 1)does not list the folder structure on the USB, just lists the folders music in them. 2)mine will only give me the name of the 1st 95 folders dispite being able to reader all 300 folders. 3)It does not recognise playlists. 4)the folders are arranged based on the order they were copied to the usb. it can be complete guess work to find the folder I want.

SD functionality (according to the manual) pros 1)can play by folder, artist and album and 2)includes a search facility and 3)Has more voice commands. ok still does not recognise playlists but since I don't use them something I can compromise on.

I believe that ipods are overpriced for what they are and hate the fact it is the only mp3 player that is properly catered for by Honda, other car manufacuters and aftermarket ICE.
I've looked everywhere and can't find both of those items in a single unit. I've got so much shit going on right now for an upcoming show and flameoff. I'm banging my head in the wall from frustration.

I really would like to switch to the flash card as the functionality sounds fantastic, but I've pretty much given up at this juncture. I'm new to this form of media and it is very confusing to me. I don't even know how to d/l a torrent or play it.:sadwavey:

Fuck it.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
I agree totally with this! I have been an AVID Ipod hater for as long as I can remember... and hated Itunes even more. But when I bought the CR-Z.. I borrowed a friends Nano for a week or so.. and after playing with usb thumb drive and mp3 cd's, I found the Ipod to be the best choice for me.

Trust me.. my girlfriend freaked when I bought one... since I have been so vocal about it for years.

I like to use playlists to control what I am listening to. I find that to be the Ipods biggest advantage over the other methods. That and there are no capacity limitations. I don't mind spending a couple of hundred for an upgrade to my sound system that makes it much more user friendly and allows me to enjoy it much more than I would otherwise. Now it takes me just seconds to change genres, artists, etc.... and I can setup custom playlists with any mix I want.

I still think Itunes needs major work.. but it is better than most of the non-dedicated software out there that works with other MP3 players.

I still don't like the APPLE marketing machine that steamrollers over so many other better products... especially with their insistence on keeping everything so proprietary, with no allowance at all for other people's creativity.

I will never be an Apple fanboy.. but for now at least, I still think the Ipod is a good way to access music in our CR-Z's.

Unfortunately, in a world where advertising rules, and every little girl is convinced (indoctrinated) that she needs a Barbie doll with a Pink Ipod to match... Apple has the clout (read that as UNITS SOLD) for the car makers / audio systems makers to use them as the standard.

ok.. nuff ranting... :iough:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.