And way more than that.
  • Instant spotify whenever I turn the key, without taking out the phone
  • Google navi
View attachment 61138
- Parking camera
View attachment 61139
- TPMS
View attachment 61140
  • Handsfree voice calls (you can even answer calls on messenger)
  • Steering wheel controls (bonus fact - you can answer phone calls with previous track button if you don't have dedicated handsfree buttons on your steering wheel)
  • Advanced equalizer with tons of settings (usually in better units only)
  • 3G connection if you insert the SIM card or wifi from your phone's hotspot
  • There are also dash cams that connects to the head unit with USB (I'm gonna get one soon) which you can control from your touch screen, browse records and they even have lane assist system with various settings
My god that's stunning. What head unit is that? UK compatability?

·
Registered
2011 Honda CR-Z GT
9 Posts
That's exactly what I thought. Its a Chinese unit, I found it on AliExpress, both for RHD and LHD.
Looks like an essential for RHD, might need the name of it... for research purposes

And way more than that.
  • Instant spotify whenever I turn the key, without taking out the phone
  • Google navi
View attachment 61138
- Parking camera
View attachment 61139
- TPMS
View attachment 61140
  • Handsfree voice calls (you can even answer calls on messenger)
  • Steering wheel controls (bonus fact - you can answer phone calls with previous track button if you don't have dedicated handsfree buttons on your steering wheel)
  • Advanced equalizer with tons of settings (usually in better units only)
  • 3G connection if you insert the SIM card or wifi from your phone's hotspot
  • There are also dash cams that connects to the head unit with USB (I'm gonna get one soon) which you can control from your touch screen, browse records and they even have lane assist system with various settings
Also how do you get the PSI of each tyre? I'm very invested in this head unit now hahah

·
Super Moderator
7,160 Posts
The part (valve stem) you put the air into on US models ( and maybe others) the "stem" is bolted into the rim hole and contains the sealed "AKA Potted" sensor which monitors the air pressure in the tires and puts up a yellow alert on the MID when it is low. This is wireless and when the batteries fail in the sensors the senors have to be replaced. US required pressure monitors after the Ford Explorer incident. Not sure what other Domestic markets require them. It is a simple system and does not tell you which wheel is low just that one ( or more is) when the sensor activates your traction control is disabled and I think also your drive mode. Other systems put the sensor on a band inside the rim and yet others ( some GM cars and 2016 CR-Zs) use the anti lock brakes to monitor how the wheels spin and by monitoring that system ( I have not read enough to understand it) it can tell which specific wheel has the low pressure and tell you which wheel.

This head unit you are drooling over monitors the tire pressure.

There are other TPMS that use a special Tire Valve Cap. Some of these can monitor not only the vehicle's wheels but also the trailer's wheels and or the spare(s).

Stem? Please explain, I’m still learning about the CRZ every day

·
Registered
2011 Honda CR-Z GT
9 Posts
* googles the Ford Explorer incident and tpms valves on ebay*

Thanks Spdbump, I’ve found something to keep my busy today

·
Super Moderator
7,160 Posts
It is quite the rabbit hole you can fall down. Over the last year I have seen all kinds of stand alone Tire Pressure Monitoring systems. In the US due to the mentioned Ford Explorer roll over accidents due to owners not checking tire pressures we now have these systems required by the Government. I am not sure what other areas mandated these systems.

My personal solution is I check my tire pressures cold every 2 weeks on Saturday and adjust as needed using a Harbor Freight AC powered compressor . I started doing this when I realized the CR-Zs supplied compressor was a weak design and I already had to have it replaced when the cord fell off of it. ( 2013 CR-Zs have no spare they have the compressor with flat sealant built in). The one time the TPMS light came on I discovered you had to check all 4 wheels and the pressure was at 20 then I had to fight with the car's compressor. This is the root of my every 2 week checks.

I also have a 12 volt power socket style Harbor Freight compressor I inherited. It lives in my passenger side rear seat bin with my LI-ION jump starter, strobe disks and Grime Boss Surface and hand wipes. There is other emergency gear stored all over The Speed Bump. If anyone is curious, I will write a separate thread for that. It is not appropriate for an ICE thread.

* googles the Ford Explorer incident and tpms valves on ebay*

Thanks Spdbump, I’ve found something to keep my busy today

·
Registered
2012 Sport / manual / NSBP
229 Posts
My god that's stunning. What head unit is that? UK compatability?
Looks like an essential for RHD, might need the name of it... for research purposes

Also how do you get the PSI of each tyre? I'm very invested in this head unit now hahah
I mentioned it already few times, it's this unit:

They also have RHD versions.

TPMS system can be also found on aliexpress, it's a kit of 4 internal sensors or external sensors and a device that connects to the head unit with USB.
This is the kit that I've bought:

All you have to do is to install sensors in your wheels, connect the device and download and install app.

There are more accessories that can be connected to the unit with USB, like DVR camera, which can be controlled from the head unit, you can browse recorded videos, set up options, watch videos etc.

Parking sensors that works with the built-in app that shows the image from the reversing camera, like this:

OBD plugs, either bluetooth or USB, allows you to use torque and display some additional informations.

·
Super Moderator
7,160 Posts
So after all of this discussion and saying no to the wireless bluetooth adaptor I mentioned did you end up getting anything or even a CR-Z?

Interesting product, but it's an add-on type that doesn't really fit what I'm trying to accomplish. Perhaps it would work if I was able to hardwire it behind the dash.

Thanks for confirming your experience. Definitely looks like the consensus is that there is a difference.

Well, for me it's just not ideal. I'm well aware of all the fancy features available in the aftermarket. I don't like the UI on any modern double-DIN head unit I've used. The screens also leave a lot to be desired. And most overuse the touch screen rather than physical buttons. And I don't like how they look. I want my car to have an OEM feel, not a modified feel. I know aftermarket is an option but for me it's a last resort.

That's very interesting. My old one was a 2013 and I was very happy with the audio. Sure, not super high end but still very good overall and if I wanted an improvement I could have upgraded the drivers and maybe boosted the power a bit with a new amp.

Thanks for your feedback. Definitely looking like there's truth to this rumor!

For me a wired connection is just a temporary option. In this modern age I absolutely refuse to have my phone tethered to a device with a cable. I was doing this with my previous Z but only until I had time to figure out a wireless option. And I never listen to music files anymore, just streaming.

I researched the aux add-on BT devices months ago and it didn't seem like there were good options out there that performed at a high level. Perhaps I need to do some more searching.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
So after all of this discussion and saying no to the wireless bluetooth adaptor I mentioned did you end up getting anything or even a CR-Z?
I did end up finding another Z. Not as good condition as my first one, unfortunately, so I'm a little less excited about it. Due to the pandemic I'm working from home and have barely put any miles on it. Seeing as I don't spend much time in it this has been pretty low on the priority list and I've been focusing on my Integra and Tacoma. We'll see what happens once I start going to the office again. If the lackluster emotions about this new one continue then I may just end up selling it. Just no idea what I might like better.

·
Super Moderator
7,160 Posts
Since you have 3 vehicles why not reduce your fleet to just one? The one you like the best especially considering you are no longer commuting. Then you can rent a vehicle when you need it. CR-Zs hate to sit. Your other CR-Z got wrecked right? Mine is connected to the charger I bought and driven very infrequently.

I did end up finding another Z. Not as good condition as my first one, unfortunately, so I'm a little less excited about it. Due to the pandemic I'm working from home and have barely put any miles on it. Seeing as I don't spend much time in it this has been pretty low on the priority list and I've been focusing on my Integra and Tacoma. We'll see what happens once I start going to the office again. If the lackluster emotions about this new one continue then I may just end up selling it. Just no idea what I might like better.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Since you have 3 vehicles why not reduce your fleet to just one? The one you like the best especially considering you are no longer commuting. Then you can rent a vehicle when you need it. CR-Zs hate to sit. Your other CR-Z got wrecked right? Mine is connected to the charger I bought and driven very infrequently.
That may be ideal for some people, but not me. I have the cars I have for a reason, I have multiple cars specifically because no single car can replace the 3 vehicles I have. And it isn't practical or financially feasible to rent vehicles that do what I require. I wanted multiple cars that each have very specific purposes and uses. They were picked very carefully to maximize the utility of each.

1992 Acura Integra GS-R - This generation of Integra will always have a place in my heart. I've owned many of them over the past 20+ yrs. I've built this one up from a shell as a purpose built track car and it's also slowly becoming a bit of a collector car. This car would be put into "long term" storage before it ever got sold. It's worth more to me than anyone else.

2010 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 - This truck is new to me and over the past year I've been outfitting it as our "adventure" rig for camping, fishing, offroading, exploring... I also use this truck regularly to haul construction/landscaping materials, car parts, furniture...etc. The only reason I'd sell this truck is if I was able to upgrade to a 2012+ model of the exact same truck.

2013 Honda CR-Z - This is my daily driver. I wanted something modern, small (specifically something short to save driveway space), good on gas, looks good and isn't doesn't just feel like a base model econobox. This is really the only car I own that I'm not stoked on. Definitely open to selling and buying something else but so far there's nothing else I can find that does what I want within the budget.

I'm aware the CR-Z should not just sit. I still drive it every week or two and once I start working from the office again soon I'll be commuting at least a few days a week. This car already sat on the dealer lot for months not being driven prior to me purchasing it. This was a concern for me originally but the battery charges fully and everything checks out A+.

·
Super Moderator
7,160 Posts
That may be ideal for some people, but not me. I have the cars I have for a reason, I have multiple cars specifically because no single car can replace the 3 vehicles I have. And it isn't practical or financially feasible to rent vehicles that do what I require. I wanted multiple cars that each have very specific purposes and uses. They were picked very carefully to maximize the utility of each.

1992 Acura Integra GS-R - This generation of Integra will always have a place in my heart. I've owned many of them over the past 20+ yrs. I've built this one up from a shell as a purpose built track car and it's also slowly becoming a bit of a collector car. This car would be put into "long term" storage before it ever got sold. It's worth more to me than anyone else.

2010 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 - This truck is new to me and over the past year I've been outfitting it as our "adventure" rig for camping, fishing, offroading, exploring... I also use this truck regularly to haul construction/landscaping materials, car parts, furniture...etc. The only reason I'd sell this truck is if I was able to upgrade to a 2012+ model of the exact same truck.

2013 Honda CR-Z - This is my daily driver. I wanted something modern, small (specifically something short to save driveway space), good on gas, looks good and isn't doesn't just feel like a base model econobox. This is really the only car I own that I'm not stoked on. Definitely open to selling and buying something else but so far there's nothing else I can find that does what I want within the budget.

I'm aware the CR-Z should not just sit. I still drive it every week or two and once I start working from the office again soon I'll be commuting at least a few days a week. This car already sat on the dealer lot for months not being driven prior to me purchasing it. This was a concern for me originally but the battery charges fully and everything checks out A+.
Your money, your life, your decisions. I own one car and it does most of what I need. When it does not I rent. Renting is very inexpensive. Paying all the costs for 3 vehicles is expensive to me.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Your money, your life, your decisions. I own one car and it does most of what I need. When it does not I rent. Renting is very inexpensive. Paying all the costs for 3 vehicles is expensive to me.
Depends on what you're renting. It costs $50+ to rent a pickup if I need to get stuff at Home Depot or buy soil for the garden. When I bought my house I decided to buy a beater pickup truck because I was having to rent one too often and it was very inconvenient and rental costs were adding up. And have you looked into what it costs to rent a car that you can take on a race track? Or what it costs to rent a capable adventure rig for a week of camping while you cross the Mojave National Preserve? It's not cheap nor even widely available.

Cost of ownership really isn't that high. I spend less on all 3 of my vehicles combined than most of my peers do on their one new vehicle that they make payments on. And with the exception of the CR-Z all my vehicles have already pretty much reached their maximum depreciation (none of which I myself had to endure). For the use I'm getting I think I'm actually getting quite a bargain.

Plus, I'm a car guy. I'd rather acquire more cars, not fewer. I like maintaining cars, I like modding cars, I like driving cars. My life is automobile-centric as it's my #1 hobby.

·
Super Moderator
7,160 Posts
I never said rent a car for taking to a race track. All the rest of that is your justification as I said your choices. We are now way off topic. Have fun with it all.

·
Registered
2014 CR-Z, Base, CVT
620 Posts
Heck, I'd like to own multiple cars simply because I like cars. I know it's not the best thing, financially speaking, but I wouldn't care. Also, having the 2013+ CR-Zs sit isn't as much of a problem as 2011-2012 models since the lithium battery on newer models has a much lower self-discharge rate than the old Ni-MH batt.

Also a bit sad to hear you're not stoked with the 'Z. I love mine, but objectively speaking it isn't the best. It's not bad, but it's not an amazing sports car and not an amazing hybrid. Have you considered the Lexus CT 200h? It has better MPG than the 'Z and has 4 seats. I think it looks pretty good, although it also looks pretty normal, whereas the CR-Z looks very distinctive and unmistakebale.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
I never said rent a car for taking to a race track. All the rest of that is your justification as I said your choices. We are now way off topic. Have fun with it all.
Yeah, we are way off topic. I thought that was the goal since you came back to ask questions and provide suggestions for my situation. :)

Also a bit sad to hear you're not stoked with the 'Z. I love mine, but objectively speaking it isn't the best. It's not bad, but it's not an amazing sports car and not an amazing hybrid. Have you considered the Lexus CT 200h? It has better MPG than the 'Z and has 4 seats. I think it looks pretty good, although it also looks pretty normal, whereas the CR-Z looks very distinctive and unmistakebale.
Yeah, kinda bums me out too. I was pretty stoked on the first one that got wrecked but not feeling the new one quite as much. There are a few items of damage/wear from the previous owner that really irk me (they aren't big issues but they still bother me). And, this CVT trans doesn't seem to be as smooth as on the last one. Normally I'm a manual trans kinda guy but part of my goal was to buy a car that wouldn't annoy me in traffic. I don't commute in traffic often but had gotten fed up driving my 5spd Subaru in traffic. I also find that an auto trans calms me down, I just drive slower and am more prone to not be annoyed by traffic or terrible drivers when I'm in an auto.

I did consider the CT 200h, it was fairly high on the list, actually. More seating was a downside or at best a wash. It also meant the Lexus was a lot larger - again a downside since I specifically wanted something very small. Better mileage is nice and of course preferred but considering both are very good and I don't drive a lot of miles it wasn't a huge deciding factor. In the end, the Z was smaller and just "cooler" IMO.

I searched quite a while and just couldn't come up with a car that did what I needed better than the Z. Maybe not ideal but I think I still made the right choice. Now, if the BMW i3 was cheaper I think that would have been my choice but it wasn't in the budget and I felt it would probably depreciate more/faster than the CR-Z.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I own 2001 EX CR-z with the standard cd player (dont the nav/double din),
I wanted to add bluetooth ability to it,
do I purchase this adapter: bluetooth adapter, I tought that if I connect it to the USB input of car,
and choose cd/aux surce- then it will work.
But it sayes the it unrecognizable.
* I wanted to play songs from spotify.. is ther any way to do it, without completly chaging the head unit?

21 - 40 of 62 Posts