Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a road trip this weekend cemented my feelings that nav boarders on useless...We were taken about 45 minutes out of our way using a portable nav unit and ended up using google maps on an iphone to get ourselves back on track.

Anyone have similar experiences? If you have, did it persuade you to not get Nav in your ex?

Personally...I can't stand those voices barking directions at me!

I'm sure all different brands work differently...but my GF said even her parents have had issues with horrible directions when using their in-dash Nav in their TL.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Depends on where you live.

It works find out here in the small cities and suburbs. Get into denser quarters like NYC and forget it by the time it dictates me to take one turn I've already gone the wrong way. Accuracy is an issue sometimes too. My Garmin is new for 2010 yet it has the exits on I-95 in Providence wrong.

I've only played with the Honda navi on an 05 Pilot. Integrated with the audio it's not bad in lowering the volume on the stereo when speaking to you.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Your talking about a portable GPS not the navi, cant base the abilities of the navi on the Z by the abilities of what ever GPS you used.
True...but the nav is the same as the one in the Acura TL correct? Which, as I said, my girlfriends parents have had the same issues with.

The point is...no one I know has ever had anything good to say about any nav...be it built in or portable. All I hear is horror stories of being directed far out of the way.

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
the Navi isn't the same as the TL... and i've personally used them in the TL and they work fine old & new models... if her parents are like mine, i'd question whether they know how to use the navi :giggle:

i'm surprised the iPhone navi worked better to be honest... mine never works good haha...

in summary, if the navi came with extra features that you can't get on a non-navi CR-Z, then i'm for sure opt for one... but it doesn't and to me isn't worth the extra $1,800 on the car...

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
I'm guessing the navi is about as "good" as the one in my CL9, so I won't miss it. But then again you need some kind of 6th sense to be able to navigate this bloody city. "Oh, let's just close off, here, there and over there, but shhhh, don't tell anyone"

·
Registered
360 Posts
The navi in my CR-Z works very well, much better than my iPhone so far. I like using the voice commands with it to find fast food restaurants nearby. It worked like a dream on my trip from southeast Georgia into the very north part of Georgia and into North Caroline and Tennessee. Later this week, I'll be returning home and put the navigator duties in the hands of the Honda navi again. :)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
eh...I guess I'm just weary of Navigation in dash. It's almost 2k more...and I have just never had anyone who just couldn't live without it.

Surprisingly...I've only had issue once with my iPhone...and that was because they had closed off a road in baltimore, where we were visiting.

·
Registered
232 Posts
With AT&T service as bad as it is in the Bay Area, there's no way I'd rely on my iPhone for any serious navigation duty. I used the in-dash navigation on my mini-roadtrip this last weekend through the Carmel Valley. Using the little joystick to hunt down winding, isolated roads was pretty sweet. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
13 Posts
I want the nav mainly because the dash is more aesthetically pleasing with it IMO. If it sucks I have my Garmin and a road atlas for backup.

Also

The point is...no one I know has ever had anything good to say about any nav...be it built in or portable. All I hear is horror stories of being directed far out of the way.
Update your maps.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I've been using mobile phones for navigation since 2006. (N80, N95, N85, Xperia X1, 5800xm, iPhone 3Gs, iPhone4). They all work just fine. So I think I never need a factory Navi in any of my car. Unless I can use the monitor for something else. However, for ~$1800 it's possible to put in a custom in-car computer.
If there are more features on the factory navi, I will consider it. From what Honda is offering now, no thanks.

·
Registered
522 Posts
did anyone read the article last year about a family who went on vacation relying on their in-dash navi and it got them terribly lost in the mountains and they blew a tire and were stranded for like 4 or 5 days before rescued?! im a huge tech geek, but i keep a paper atlas in my trunk.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I want the nav mainly because the dash is more aesthetically pleasing with it IMO. If it sucks I have my Garmin and a road atlas for backup.
Exactly why I got one too - prob will only use it once a month, but the dash looks much more pleasing with it :thumbsup:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
did anyone read the article last year about a family who went on vacation relying on their in-dash navi and it got them terribly lost in the mountains and they blew a tire and were stranded for like 4 or 5 days before rescued?! im a huge tech geek, but i keep a paper atlas in my trunk.
Yeah...I remember that story...
Scary stuff...I just don't trust it....though I was told that Honda has the best maps.

I didn't go with Nav...I'll just use google maps on my phone.

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
Even when the navi is not being used you can still watch TV!
Oh and the back up camera is also useful.
for the USDM, we get screwed... we get a basic radio/navigation... no option for a backup camera, no HDD, no DVD player, no options to choose a different one, etc... in Japan, the navi is worth it... over here, it's bleh... :sadwavey:
We are talking about American version. Navi in Japan is far more advance.
:yeahthat:
What about the maker option, doesn't that one come with the camera, DVD player, HDD, and so on?
read my above response :cry:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.