Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm dead set on finding a red+6Speed+EX+nav, which is proving hard to do.

Is it worth holding out for the nav? I'd love to hear some benefits from people who have it.

· Registered
381 Posts
I have to admit I wanted a Blue-6speed-EX-NO NAV. I didnt want to pay the extra $1800 for the NAV I didnt need since I was only planning to drive to and from work with it and after 12 years I know my way. BUT the Blue car that was coming in to my dealer was a 6speed EX with NAV so I went ahead an bought it since the BLUE and 6speed was so hard to find around me and I am SO glad I got the NAV. Its fun and I like my car so much I drive it everywhere not just to and from work.

· Registered
675 Posts
I'm anti-factory nav in general - built-in nav software is usually about 5 years behind the $90 Garmins and such. Route calculation is slower, maps are out of date, map updates cost $200+, and the interface is beyond unintuitive. You can't evaluate the nav until you've used it a couple of times in different scenarios and by the time you get to do this with a built-in unit, it's too late and you are out $1800 + tax.

Preferred solution for me was to conjure up a semi-permanent mount and power source for a cheap Garmin and pocket the $2K.

· Registered
47 Posts
I wanted the Navi unit in my last car, 2008 Honda Accord EX-L V6, but it didn't have one on the lot. So I bought a Garmin Nuvi 760. It was good, but I couldn't leave it out when ever I parked. So when I bought my CR-Z, it had to have one, or I wasn't going to buy one until they got one in. The built in NAV has a larger screen, plus if it gets stolen, the insurance will cover it. The Garmin was $600 plus another $110 for the lifetime updates.

· Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I still want the factory nav...

Two cars previous I had factory nav and loved it.
Current car I opted for a Garmin Nuvi and don't like it anywhere near as much.
Also this car is priced really well - the nav price doesn't bug me.

Thanks for the input!

· Registered
37 Posts
All my cars have aftermarket NAV which I use constantly. The wifey who gets the CR-Z does not want any aftermarket stuff so we to are waiting a CR-Z EX, 6 speed, with NAV. We have found a way to integrate a back-up camera. She will let me do that since there are blind spot issues with the car. We are having to wait about three months to get the car we want, I feel your pain. :sadwavey: They are rare.

· Registered
1,285 Posts
Well, I still want the factory nav...

Two cars previous I had factory nav and loved it.
Current car I opted for a Garmin Nuvi and don't like it anywhere near as much.
Also this car is priced really well - the nav price doesn't bug me.

Thanks for the input!
You answered your own question I'll take factory anyday over an aftermarket system.

· Registered
130 Posts
Can anyone answer these please, the Honda site and salesman didn't know these.

Does the NAV unit still have the USB cable connection below it?

Does the NAV unit display lean forward for you to put a CD in there?

Can you put mp3 files on the CD for it to play?

Do you have press 'ok/accept' every time you turn the car on, on the nav unit?

Does the NAV unit sound better than the EX sound system? The EX sounded pretty good for a stock system.

Can the XM/Sirius be added to the NAV unit system?

Does the NAV or just the EX system charge all new Ipod/Iphones?

thanks!

· Registered
47 Posts

Does the NAV unit still have the USB cable connection below it? Yes

Does the NAV unit display lean forward for you to put a CD in there? Yes

Can you put mp3 files on the CD for it to play? Yes

Do you have press 'ok/accept' every time you turn the car on, on the nav unit? Yes

Does the NAV unit sound better than the EX sound system? The EX sounded pretty good for a stock system. Can't answer, as I don't have the base unit to compare with.

Can the XM/Sirius be added to the NAV unit system? Yes

Does the NAV or just the EX system charge all new Ipod/Iphones? Haven't tried to re-charge my iPod or iPhone using the system.

thanks!

· Registered
3,036 Posts

Does the NAV or just the EX system charge all new Ipod/Iphones? Haven't tried to re-charge my iPod or iPhone using the system.

thanks!
I have left my Ipod in the car for up to two weeks.. so it must be charging it, or it would be dead by now.

· Registered
145 Posts
The Nav/phone part also works with ancient phones such as my 6+ yr old Motorola clam phone! (which amazed me!)

I went for the Nav as I thought the dash appearance was so much 'cleaner' - and to my suprise, I've used the nav quite a few times since I've had the car........ prob cos I've taken her on a lot of different trips :rolleyes:

· Registered
130 Posts
Thanks for those answers guys, after seeing the NAV unit I went with the base EX unit, it's Bluetooth phone use was very good and the sound was good enough.

The NAV unit looks like too much of a temptation for people to break and and steal it, as much as I wanted it, I didn't get it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.