• Mfactory Helical LSD
  • Kansai Service rad & intake shrouds
  • Spoon Radiator Cap
  • HKS LA Clutch
  • H&R front + rear spacers
  • Walbro 255lph fuel pump
Installs:
1. ApplePlay Double DIN install
2. Spoon N1 install w/sound clip (inc 2nd de-cat)
3. Mugen Wing install
4. Spoon Panel Air filter install
5. SC Install & First Map (pics & video)
6. Spoon brakes & suspension
7. Mugen GP wheels w/Michelin PS4 tyres & Mugen wheel nuts
8. Bigger SC install & Dyno

So after a long time away from the CRZ I started looking for another around 6 months ago. I found a 2011 CRZ sport spec with Mugen front and rear bumpers.

The car had done 34,000 miles from new and overall condition was good. The previous owner had swapped the stock alloys for a set of 17” Rota blitz alloys. Not to my taste really and they were fairly beat up!

A few pics from when the car arrived.

See less See more
#3 ·
So the first thing was to remove the dealer stickers, plates and just generally refresh the car.

The first two proper jobs were getting fresh brake all round as the previous were overdue for replacement. Nothing too fancy, I just went with OEM brembo discs & pads.

Second job was fairly straight forward. A second decat from Tegiwa. Not game changing on its own but frees up a few horses and alittle more burble.

List of things updated so far:

• new reg plates
  • new wipers
  • LED reg plate lights
  • LED interior & door lights
  • HID kit 6000K 35w

#6 · (Edited)
Funny thing buying cars!

Yes plenty planned/in progress.

Quick run down:

• Spoon N1 exhaust, fitting tomorrow
  • Spoon panel air filter, fitting tomorrow
  • Genuine Mugen wing, all painted, fitting on Saturday
  • HKS Supercharger kit, ordered
  • HKS step up fuelling kit, ordered
  • Enkei RPF1 wheels (17x7et45silver) ordered
  • Hondata FlashPro, ordered
Very exciting year ahead!

#7 · (Edited)
Another mod I wanted to do was change out the standard radio system for something modern.

iPhones don’t have AUX connectors anymore and apple car play is brilliant in my opinion. So I ordered a GT spec double din fascia plate complete with airbag light & hazard button to go with the Pioneer SPH-DA230DAB double din.

Fitting was reasonably straight forward. I had to find a lot of different patch leads and connectors to get the system to work right but it’s all together now and totally brings the interior together!

#11 ·
Looking good! Very keen to see how you get on with the HKS Supercharger. Been wanting to get one for a while, but having got the 2013+ model I'm unable to use Hondata and will have to probably have to use a Ktuner. Ideally I would love (a now discontinued) Jackson Racing supercahrger and I'm often keeping an eye out for one. How do you find the spoon exhaust?

#12 ·
The spoon exhaust is really nice paired with the 2nd de-cat, primary cat still in place. A few pops, burbles and audible now but not intrusive.

Me too! Very keen for the SC. I’ve got the fuel step up kit with the updated injectors and 34mm restrictor (vs 28mm in the standard kit) on order too.

Kit with existing exhaust mods should make 200bhp flywheel easy. Won’t be pushing any higher due to stock internals.

That is a shame about the 2013 model. I like the change they made to lithium on the battery pack but the sport+ button is a strange inclusive imo.

#15 ·
Initially no. I want to see how the car takes to the extra power, also the wheel & tyre combo will be much improved over whatit's running currently (rotas & midrange tyres).

Speaking of which....

The Enkei RPF1 wheels I had on order are now cancelled.

Manged to find a set of Mugen GP wheels!

These will totally finish off the car. (I'm gettng new tyres don't wory)

#17 ·
Found them on ebay but turned out toi be a guy I knew off the CRZ owner group on Facebook. Happy times all round.

The supercharger arrived this week so will going in the next week or so.

Ordered gauges too, went for the Evo Prosport ones; oil temp, water tempo & boost (bar).

Video here of what they look like (not my car).

#18 ·
If you need a triple gauge pod, I have the C-West carbon fiber one that I got from Rustbucket, but still haven't installed it in my other CR-Z. It's not really up for sale, officially, but I don't see myself getting it installed within the next year or two, so it'll be sitting in the box and not fulfilling its purpose in life. :)

#24 ·
So guys a few updates. The car hasn’t been in the shop yet due to COVID-19. However it’s looking like the 3rd week of May will be when we can get it in there.
Honestly I’m so excited to get this done and in between a few essential trips to the supermarket, nothing much to report.

With all this extra time on my hands I have done alittle more shopping. So today I’ve ordered the below:

• Spoon monoblocks
  • Spoon front discs & pads
  • Spoon progressive springs
  • Spoon uprated dampeners
  • Spoon front anti roll bar

So thats handling and braking sorted I think!

#33 · (Edited)
A big update today!

The car is finally supercharged! The handling modifications however are slightly delayed so they have not been installed yet. So brakes & suspension/handling wise the CRZ is stock.

Below are the item's successfully installed:

• Oil, water, boost gauges & pod
  • HKS SC Kit w/injectors
  • Hondata Flash pro & mapping
  • Oil change
  • Spark Plug change
Sadly the car is not delivering anywhere nearly the figures it should. The goal was 200BHP on the stock engine and we are a long way off that at 160BHP.

Now the car was dynoed on a very hot day here yesterday in the UK (27C) with multiple runs, so there is potentially some heatsoak issues there however the main issues we believe we are running in to are exhaust restrictions.

The car currently has the below exhaust set up:

• Primary stock cat
  • Tegiwa secondary de-cat
  • Stock mid pipe
  • Spoon N1 back box
We are going to get a primary de-cat to let those exhust gases breath freely & fabricate a custom mid pipe to enable less restriction but with some silencing and as the car will now have no cats installed and will be LOUD.

Finally the GE8/fit/jazz intake manifold will be installed. Originally I didn't think I would need this due to the SC Kit being rated way over 250BHP however anything that removes any potential restrictions can only help us further.

Mixed feelings due to the figures however I did take the car out but I will amke a seperate post, in the meantime pics!

Video!
CRZ SC by nathan proudfoot, on Flickr

#34 ·
Driving impression with the SC in it's current state.

The first thing you notice is the whoosing sounds, lovely! Adds extra drama to the car and the extra intake noise generated is great.

The car "feels" more powerful but in an augmented way, as superchargers do, the power is in tandem with the RPM of the car, so no big spikes or torque dumps here.

However around 4000RPM you notice the SC more. This is due to the IMA tailing off as the car hits a higher RPM. You certain have more of a "boost" feeling. The way that the car pulls with the SC is great, that much needed mid & high end grunt that the CRZ sorely lacked is present, even if this car is only around the 160BHP mark at the stage.

This excites me though, as even with a modest power bump the CRZ become a much more serious car.

Dyno graph below:

#35 ·
Nice! I don't worry about the dyno numbers, and just get happy with the new boost. My HPD supercharger is rated at 200 ish hp, but I'd be curious to see how closely a local dyno run matches up.

#37 ·
So a small update.

Car is still with the garage, I ended up making a few more purchases and decided to go balls deep.

New parts ordered

• HKS Forged Rods & Pistons
  • HKS Metal Head Gasket 1.2mm
  • Mfactory Helical LSD
  • HKS LA Clutch
  • Kansai Service Carbon radiator & intake shrouds
  • Mugen Gearknob
So the rad/intake shrouds should help with isolatating the engine heat away from the intake and letting alittle more cool air flow through the rad & intake. As intake temps on the first tune were an issue. I have considered running a larger rad but not decided entirely on that yet.

I decided to go with forging the engine simply as it was inevitable. This way I can get the CRZ around 250-275bhp happily with the correct supporting mods. The car should be an absolute rocket ship with it's low kerb weight!

With this in mind the HKS LA clutch was a no brainer to support the extra bhp. The Mfactory LSD then will help to deploy that power down to the road as my aim is to have a usable car, for the road & track.

Meanwhile the Spoon parts finally turned up!

Here they are looking majestic!

#39 · (Edited)
I've had the mFactory LSD for a few years, and have really liked it (y)

Did your tuner discharge the battery for dyno testing? Your peak torque looks in the ballpark and at a similar rpm to mine, but the whole curve seems to be an odd shape for our cars. Without the SC, peak torque should still be about 140 lb-ft but somewhere around 1500 RPM. If they dyno'd it without the electric motor powered, which this looks like, you are a lot closer to 180HP than 160. Electric motor is good for ~20hp up top based on what my car has done on the dyno.

Ran into the same issue with the primary cat causing too much back pressure once I got up to ~190HP. Mine's still sometimes a daily so have kept the cat so far. Did you end up deleting yours?

And apparently HKS uses a restrictor that is 27mm diameter to protect the engine from their base kit not being intercooled, but the intercooled version also comes with both 27mm and 34mm restrictors. Maybe they missed swapping those out? Your power rolls over at the top like their 27mm dyno, which is odd for a centrifugal SC without a lot of restriction.
HKS SC manufacturer's dyno sheet

#40 ·
I've had the mFactory LSD for a few years, and have really liked it (y)

Did your tuner discharge the battery for dyno testing? Your peak torque looks in the ballpark and at a similar rpm to mine, but the whole curve seems to be an odd shape for our cars. Without the SC, peak torque should still be about 140 lb-ft but somewhere around 1500 RPM. If they dyno'd it without the electric motor powered, which this looks like, you are a lot closer to 180HP than 160. Electric motor is good for ~20hp up top based on what my car has done on the dyno.

Ran into the same issue with the primary cat causing too much back pressure once I got up to ~190HP. Mine's still sometimes a daily so have kept the cat so far. Did you end up deleting yours?

And apparently HKS uses a restrictor that is 27mm diameter to protect the engine from their base kit not being intercooled, but the intercooled version also comes with both 27mm and 34mm restrictors. Maybe they missed swapping those out? Your power rolls over at the top like their 27mm dyno, which is odd for a centrifugal SC without a lot of restriction.
HKS SC manufacturer's dyno sheet
So I had the “fuel up” kit which included the 34mm restrictor, that actually was my first question to them. Whether they used the right restrictor or not. They confirmed they used the 34mm.

So the car will be completely cat-less once done with a custom mid pipe, we are going to incorporate silencers as otherwise the sound will be insane aha!

You may be right RE IMA power drop out. I wasn’t there when the power run was done, so I can’t say for sure, however I’d hope the shop knew to ensure the battery was charged prior. I have ran CRZs on maha type dyno a before and hit the right power so maybe it really was down on power. It was running the stock inlet manifold which is a factor for sure.

I’m glad the Mfactory is working well for you. Seemed a good choice for sure.

#41 ·
just for reference, this is what my dyno looks like with the electrics working, NA vs SC

granted dynos vary, but that should be an offset. Ours are very different shapes. With the IMA and SC the torque is very flat, varies less than 20 lb-ft from 1500 to redline. Yours looks like you are missing 100 lb-ft down at the bottom (where the IMA should be adding that much) but ends up in about the same place up top.

I'm guessing the shop did that to eliminate the IMA variance from the testing. Just sayin' your car is probably already a lot stronger than you think 😃

There is no radical difference between the stock manifold and the GE8. My shop measured runner length and diameter when they did my cam swap and couldn't find any difference. Does look better imo, but probably not your restriction.

Reactions: litz