Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
just for reference, this is what my dyno looks like with the electrics working, NA vs SC

granted dynos vary, but that should be an offset. Ours are very different shapes. With the IMA and SC the torque is very flat, varies less than 20 lb-ft from 1500 to redline. Yours looks like you are missing 100 lb-ft down at the bottom (where the IMA should be adding that much) but ends up in about the same place up top.

I'm guessing the shop did that to eliminate the IMA variance from the testing. Just sayin' your car is probably already a lot stronger than you think 😃

There is no radical difference between the stock manifold and the GE8. My shop measured runner length and diameter when they did my cam swap and couldn't find any difference. Does look better imo, but probably not your restriction.

Reactions: litz

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
So I visited the shop yesterday to drop off the clutch & collect my old Rota wheels & brakes.

A few pics of the car with the Spoon bits installed & the Mugen GP wheels. Oooosh, lovely.

Rear calipers have been painted black as the original finish was looking rough.

Custom mid-pipe & primary de-cat are in now. We are just awaiting the HKS Forged rods + pistons & headgasket and then the engine build can begin!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Doing a little more reading it’s looking like the HKS GTS4015HP blower may not be the best fit. As it is designed for response vs big power.

According to HKS the max recommended impeller speed is 110k rpm.

The standard pulley is 100mm which produces a 98k rpm and 0.7 bar boost.

The smallest pulley size you can use is 90mm which produces 109k rpm and 0.98 bar boost.

The HKS GTS4015HP can flow 100-150bhp according to HKS. 100bhp no doubt being with the 100mm pulley and no air restrictors present.

My guess would be a 125bhp max flow with the 90mm pulley and 0.98 bar of boost.

This should make 250bhp flywheel achievable. Maybe more if other gains are made elsewhere in the drive train.

Im intrigued tbh.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
OK so a mild update here, it's been a while since I've updated the thread. The forged engine is finally built up and in the car! It's being run in now and then it just needs mapping which should take place next week hopefully.

A few more pictures and details of the samller modifications that have been made.

• Kansai Service Carbon Radiator shroud & cold air feed is now in.
  • Mugen Grill LEDs
  • Mugen Gearknob
  • Spoon rear view mirror
  • Honda OEM armrest
  • Honda OEM illuminated carbon door sills
  • Painted EGR Valve
  • GE8 Manifold
The car is going to have H&R wheel spacers front & rear added too. These are essential on the front as there isn;t much clearance for the Spoon brakes on the wheels & the rear is just to bring them in-line with the front of the car and look less "tucked" into the arches.

A cheeky cold start video. Now the iPhone doesn;t do the best job at picking up the sound but it is loud. Sound raspier in the video than it is IRL. May look into a different back box other than the Spoon N1, but thats something to look at post mapping. Enjoy!

CRZ by nathan proudfoot, on Flickr

·
Registered
75 Posts
Very Nice! Looking forward to your verdict on this once its tuned.
Did you also get the Spoon Front Sway Bar fitted yet?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #47 (Edited)
Very Nice! Looking forward to your verdict on this once its tuned.
Did you also get the Spoon Front Sway Bar fitted yet?

Yes mate, Spoon front anti-roll bar is on! Not driven it anywhere so can't comment yet.

You & me both! I'm very excited for it all. Low key pessimistic for the power though, don't want to get to hyped up. Worst case scenario is that we switch the SC unit out for a bigger blower!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #49 (Edited)
I've driven around 50 miles give or take so far with the car. Sadly the weather is around 10C & wet so not the best for testing the limits of the car.

First things first, power. The car did not make anywhere near the 250BHP I was hoping for. A shade under 200BHP flywheel with IMA assist. This is confusing given how HKS rate the 4015HP blower between 100-150BHP. According to the tuner we were maxing the 330cc HKS injectors & any further we would of been hitting knock issues. Now we could go to a smaller pulley but again injectors would limit us along with even hotter IATs. Currently the car runs very well so I'd rather not throw another potential issue at it.

How does this power feel? Petty damn epic, the car feels like it has a big V6 upfront with the power curve, it just keeps pulling! The sound with the double de-cat & N1 backbox is pretty extreme. Something I may need to tone down once the excitement wears off!

The handling mods are what have really changed this car, the Spoon suspension is compliant yet stiff enough to hold the car level around bends. The same can be said for the Spoon brakes, nice & progressive but stop hard when you want. You can tell Spoon did their homework and made their products as OEM+ as possible. The LSD is a real game changer, allowing you to almost pivot under load around corners. The handling experience is very similar to the Integra Type R (DC5) which is high praise. A combo of lightweight, brakes + wheels, quality tyres & a trick diff to make sure that power goes to the right wheel means the CRZ cn utilise it's power incredibly efficiently.

I'm keen to drive the car more and explore the limits when the weather is better but I can't stop smiling at how much fun I'm having.

I've got more pics to post & more future mods planned too!

CRZ by nathan proudfoot, on Flickr

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Awesome Build! Will you be doing some videos at some point?
definitely! I’ve got another one from the outside of the car revving.

to be honest, it’s way too loud. The boom in the cabin is very annoying, so I’m getting a mid silencer put in aha.

Already made a few purchases:

• 400cc injectors
  • HKS 7040 SC unit w/90mm pulley
  • 255lp/h fuel pump
Not sure when I’m going to install these but I’m loving the drive, just needs the sound toning down for a daily drive!

41 - 51 of 51 Posts