Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to start moding my CR-Z and can't decided if i should do a "named build" where all my parts are from one company only (if I did it probibily would be Mugen or HKS) or if I just should peice it all together from any compnay. What are your guys thoughts?

·
Registered
183 Posts
So far, every aftermarket performance part I have purchased has been HKS. I have been extremely happy with the performance of their parts. I know that Mugen is also a huge name, but when you compare the performance to price, I would think it would be better to go with HKS personally...Mugen is just expensive as hell, and you are paying for the name more than anything else in my opinion...

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So far, every aftermarket performance part I have purchased has been HKS. I have been extremely happy with the performance of their parts. I know that Mugen is also a huge name, but when you compare the performance to price, I would think it would be better to go with HKS personally...Mugen is just expensive as hell, and you are paying for the name more than anything else in my opinion...
I have actualy been looking and am starting to lean more tword HKS since they have more parts I would use. I have used HKS in my last auto-x car and love the products, they just dont have a body kit I like. :pP:

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I'd say stick to a couple of companies since I know HKS makes some thing Mugen doesn't make and vise versa. The only complete tuning company out there would be Spoon but thats sorta been done. Let me know if you need anything and I'll be glad to get prices and such for you :)

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'd say stick to a couple of companies since I know HKS makes some thing Mugen doesn't make and vise versa. The only complete tuning company out there would be Spoon but thats sorta been done. Let me know if you need anything and I'll be glad to get prices and such for you :)
After talking with a few guys in my old car club I decided to do a Mugen/HKS build. When I start buying I will let you know first thing will be the Mugen Kit AFTER a set of dedicated racing rims/tires for Auto-x.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
After talking with a few guys in my old car club I decided to do a Mugen/HKS build. When I start buying I will let you know first thing will be the Mugen Kit AFTER a set of dedicated racing rims/tires for Auto-x.
what kind of wheels are you looking for? I know for a fact that there are some 16x7 +43 enkei rpf1 that I can get for you. They're limited in finish but for pure auto-x, they're not a bad choice

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
what kind of wheels are you looking for? I know for a fact that there are some 16x7 +43 enkei rpf1 that I can get for you. They're limited in finish but for pure auto-x, they're not a bad choice
I am getting a packege deal using the Konig Backbone CA9 16*7 (supposed to be 14lbs a pop) along with Hankook Ventus Z214 C71 in a 225/50ZR-16. Rims are going to cost me 115$ and tires 156$

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
I was strongly considering doing this with HKS stuff - they make EVERYTHING i want including braces and even a SC. I decided against it ultimately because there are better performing parts in some categories and I care more about the performance than the bling factor.

HKS hasn't made parts for any other car i've owned but i always heard good things. The HKS parts are SUPER high quality. I was pleasantly surprised

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Don't assume that just because you haven't heard of them they are a no namer. Spoon is among the best for honda performance parts.
I am not saying they are a no name company. I am saying they are unknown to me and I would rather go with a company I know and have good past experiance with over having to do a ton of resurch into a new company. If the setup was just for fun I would not mind doing spoon but as I will be at an auto-x almost every weekend and doing time attacks at least once a month with this car I want to make sure I have full confidance in the stuff going on my car.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
if youre looking for performance I wouldnt recommend you discount spoon. they are the only one out of the three that has a cam kit available along with a tuned ECU. HKS' F-con may not work on non boosted applications.

Spoon & Mugen are probably tops when it comes to consistent high quality Honda tuners.

Looks like your mind is made up but if you have a second to do some research you may be pleasantly surprised with Spoon if you dont know about them.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.