Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
and I have to say, the Honda CR-Z impresses me. I have always been a huge fan of the Honda CR-X and CR-Z for their unique and head-turning looks. I love to drive cars that make people say "what is that?" The CR-Z does this with looks, with its engineering, and with its sporty feel. I needed a new car and quick. I had been looking at options and nothing really stood out to me. Time was running out and man, was I lucky when this CR-Z popped up within my budget! I will admit I never did think I would buy one. I had considered getting a CR-X before, but that's not practical. It's a project. The CR-Z had never been on my radar as something I would drive because I knew it was a hybrid and hybrid means slow and CVT and boring and lifeless.

Please, spare me, because the CR-Z speaks for itself and the CVT wasn't an issue because this one is a 6 speed! Sitting down inside was a new experience. The dash layout being slightly swept toward the driver felt somewhat sporty without being obnoxious or intrusive. The bold curves and dives along the passenger area of the dash are frankly mesmerizing to see in a commuter car. The seats feel stiff, but not exactly uninviting, and I was spoiled anyway with the seats I had in the Volkswagens. The range of different knobs and buttons and different things going on all over the instrument cluster initially feels a bit intimidating but I am inclined towards having buttons over having a touch screen. Starting the car was an experience on its own. For a vehicle from 2011, it feels uncannily modern with the holographically projected speedometer and digital tachometer. The car also has an aftermarket catback exhaust by J2 Engineering installed by the previous owner(it rattles against the rear spring like a son of a bitch, I think there's something wrong with the exhaust position). The low rumble as the car cold started was a shock. It sounded amazing. It wasn't obnoxious, only a bit loud, and had that bass-y tone you can feel in your chest when you stand behind it. If you had told me before I had started the car that exhaust modification on a CR-Z sounds good and is a worthwhile modification, I would have told you to pound sand. It's a 1.5L Hybrid, how could that even be fun? Dude, the exhaust backfires and pops (not too loud either, which is pleasant) and I just can't get over it. My last car had a tune and a straight pipe and never made those noises.

Getting the car into gear was no problem at all. This CR-Z has 150,000km on it with the same clutch from the factory and it still grabs firmly and feels solid. I'm not used to a car having no bottom end as I drove diesel VWs exclusively as my daily, and those are nothing but torque. The IMA makes getting off the line and into gear incredibly smooth, so much smoother than a turbo. Shifting is a dream with the way Honda designs their shifters and transmissions. The hill-hold feature is a blessing. The auto-stop feature on a manual made me giggle. I didn't know that was a thing, and I love it. It's no race car, but it has some damn pep in the upper revs and the IMA makes up for the very bottom end. The steering is tight, responsive, and completely true. The flat and stiff suspension felt welcome in such a small and nimble car. Honda wasn't lying about the sporty feel of this car. I won't be winning any races with the CR-Z but I just may be having more fun than anyone else losing in this car. There's so much that I did not expect about this car, a car that came far ahead of its time. The world didn't need a 2 door, 2 seat hybrid sports car but Honda said dangit, we'll do it anyway, and we'll look damn good doing it! Had this been developed only a decade later it may have sold far better with a more impressive powertrain and higher price-point. For what it is, though, I did not go wrong on this purchase. I already notice people checking out the car and slowing down to catch a glance which is fun! I certainly don't see many of these driving around and I haven't seen one for sale in a long while. As I get more familiar with the CR-Z, I am going to look into modifying it as well, and doing simple mods for cheap is kick-ass. Modifying a VW takes special tools, parts, and tons of money and I'm sick of it.

I'm excited to just take it easy and do the GE8 Fit Upper Intake Manifold transplant and an intake. I also need to get someone to look at the exhaust... Maybe someone familiar with it can help.

Introducing my 2011 Honda CR-Z EX 6Spd Manual.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Howdy and Welcome! Great share, almost everything you said mimics my experience almost perfectly, except mine is white, replace CRX with Del Sol, and I got my catback done custom myself about three months of owning the car, but I share the shared the same preconception. The factory exhaust has two mufflers so the down pipe really opens it up. I immediately noticed the difference in power, and the gnarly sounds combined with the auto-stop at red lights make it sound bonkers!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Welcome! Nice color, I too had a CRX and a Del Sol!

·
Premium Member
6,062 Posts
... I also need to get someone to look at the exhaust... Maybe someone familiar with it can help.
I'd suggest just swapping out the exhaust hangars for stiffer ones; that might cure the rattles:

Torque Solution Exhaust Hanger Mount 10 MM

...and welcome to the CR-Z and the forum. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts