Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just my personal suggestions based on what works for me.

1. Gentle acceleration. Unless merging on to the freeway, I try to stay at 2 bars of electric assist maximum. The biggest help or hinderance to fuel mileage is made during acceleration and deceleration.

2. Looooong coast downs. I have a 6MT. You can coast in neutral or with a cvt or a 6mt, you can give just the slightest amount of throttle to prevent engine braking and regen, and it will coast a long way. This

3. Drive slower than the car in front of you everywhere that is only 2 lanes. I do 5mph under the speed limit, to save fuel, AND so no one is right in front of me. So when they turn I don’t have to slow down, and accelerate back up to speed.

4. Use cruise control as often as possible even in town. The computer is better at only using the exact throttle needed to hold the speed, so it will be more efficient than your foot is.

5. Pay attention to traffic patterns. Leaving a little early or later may bring lighter traffic.

6. Learn the traffic light patterns. Most are on a timer, many have crosswalk signals that blink a fixed number of times before the light changes. You can learn to know when the light is gonna change, and start coasting down early if
aren’t gonna make the light.

These are my personal tips that are giving me an average of 47.5 mpg since buying my Z 13,000 miles ago. Try them, or don’t. Agree or don’t. It’s just my 2 cents. Your results may vary.

·
Registered
2010 CRZ ZF1
11 Posts

1. Gentle acceleration. Unless merging on to the freeway, I try to stay at 2 bars of electric assist maximum. The biggest help or hinderance to fuel mileage is made during acceleration and deceleration.

2. Looooong coast downs. I have a 6MT. You can coast in neutral or with a cvt or a 6mt, you can give just the slightest amount of throttle to prevent engine braking and regen, and it will coast a long way. This

3. Drive slower than the car in front of you everywhere that is only 2 lanes. I do 5mph under the speed limit, to save fuel, AND so no one is right in front of me. So when they turn I don’t have to slow down, and accelerate back up to speed.

4. Use cruise control as often as possible even in town. The computer is better at only using the exact throttle needed to hold the speed, so it will be more efficient than your foot is.

5. Pay attention to traffic patterns. Leaving a little early or later may bring lighter traffic.

6. Learn the traffic light patterns. Most are on a timer, many have crosswalk signals that blink a fixed number of times before the light changes. You can learn to know when the light is gonna change, and start coasting down early if

These are my personal tips that are giving me an average of 47.5 mpg since buying my Z 13,000 miles ago. Try them, or don’t. Agree or don’t. It’s just my 2 cents. Your results may vary.
Thanks for sharing.
Currently, my 6MT is doing 4,9 l/100km which is approx 48 mpg excluding cruise control.
I normally drive sustainable and shift at approx 2000 n/min up.

The most important item is to know traffic and the expected behavior of other drivers.
In case you do know this behavior, you are able to anticipate while driving.

Within 4,9 some moments of sports mode are included, just to know the car is alive;)

Another tip:
Keep the air filter clean!:) recently exchanged the airfilter and this has a huge positive effect;)

Whats very important is the brand and type of fuel. Within Europe, we do have EUR95 Max 10% ethanol and EUR98 max 5%ethanol mixture.
Big 3 fuel suppliers contains less then 5% or 10% ethanol, which is fine by me.

·
Premium Member
8,653 Posts
@K&M

Is your car set to gallons or liters, and is it a USDM or other market? You could have just added to one of the many existing MPG threads. Remember, gallons are different in different parts of the world, so that can throw off comparisons too.

The most accurate MPG is from nearly empty (no bars on Fuel gauge) reset, fill then bring it to nearly empty again. The gauge will read high for partial tanks or very little fuel used. Hand calculation is the most accurate, but you need to know how much fuel you used and how far you drove. I explained how to estimate based on how many bars of fuel you added. It is 1 bar per half gallon, approximately.

As I stated in the other thread when I filled up this last time with over 10 gallons my average MPG was 35 with a very short daily commute and only filling up every 3 weeks. My dash meter and scan gauge are pretty close for MPG, but not exactly the same. MPG will vary a lot due to the driver, conditions etc. If you then change the injectors, the fuel you are using(E85 for example versus regular unleaded), or other modifications, then it will vary even more.

Read all the threads on MPG and hints and tips and see what works the best for you in your situation. Many believe over inflating their tires is best for MPG while it might help some, it is dangerous, will affect handling and cause excessive wear of the tires.

Most MPG is your right foot, driving style, and conditions. Some things you have control over, some you do not.

For years with my longer commute and more driving I was getting 37 to 42. With working from home and monthly fuel fills I was still at the same then I moved and now have a very short 5 mile a day commute, and I am down to 35 MPG on average with longer drives on weekends. I may if people are interested take my fuel log and calculate the MPG for the whole time I have owned it. My car is a one owner car and I have the log books.

I have lived in a few different places and had different commutes and conditions. I still get the best MPG on longer trips that include more highway. The biggest issue where I am now is most of the other drivers speed (10 to 20 MPH over) and the speed limits change frequently and drastically even on the same road.

In the US all fuel for part of the year is at least 10% ethanol, with few exceptions. There is also E85 which some members here are using with special tunes. See the detailed threads on that.

Brand of fuel is irrelevant. All fuels are pretty much the same. Higher octane provides no advantage (unless you have forced induction or other modifications, then you have to run higher octane fuels). The reason I have this car is to avoid having to buy premium fuel. My previous vehicle required 91 octane minimum (it had forced induction). There is a lot of hype regarding fuel and additives, just like there is on many fluids you can add to your vehicle.

My biggest hint is drive gently don't do anything quickly or erratically, this is true for fuel economy and driving in snow or icy conditions. Always anticipate and presume the surrounding others will do the worst possible thing at the worst possible moment. There is no reason to not leave space between you and others when stopped or driving.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts

It's interesting to me that many of you're driving techniques tend to minimize if not entirely cut out the the hybrid system instead of trying to take advantage of it. But there's no arguing with your results. If it works it works.

·
Registered
2010 CRZ ZF1
11 Posts
It's interesting to me that many of you're driving techniques tend to minimize if not entirely cut out the the hybrid system instead of trying to take advantage of it. But there's no arguing with your results. If it works it works.
Hi Fediej,
I am pushing the pedal once in a while.
The costs of 1 liter of EUR98 is currently approx €2 in the Netherlands.
Knowing the costs are much cheaper in the states, this is for now my best option to reduce the costs in fuel.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts