Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to share my purchasing experience buying my 2nd Honda and 1st CR-Z.

My wife and I have been looking for about 2 weeks (Dec 10th thru Dec 24th) and were really wanting to go to the dealers to look at the cars but we wanted to be left alone and not bothered. So when my wife and I went to Tucson, AZ on vacation, we decided to go tot he Tucson Auto Mall and look at several cars. We went on Christmas afternoon and spent about 2 hours walking from dealer to dealer. We looked at the following cars:
  • Chevy Cobalt
  • Chevy Cruise
  • Ford Focus
  • Honda Insight
  • Mazda 3

When we went to each car, we were looking for fuel economy as the main focal point, as I drive over 50 miles round trip every day and am currently getting 13mpg.

So here they are:
  • Chevy Cobalt (22/30)
  • Chevy Cruise (24/36)
  • Ford Focus (24/35)
  • Honda Insight (40/43)
  • Mazda 3 (18/25)

So the last dealer we went to was the Honda dealer, and as we were looking at the insight, we noticed a weird looking car parked in the back of the lot. When we got up to it, I said to my wife, "I thought the CRX was an '80s car". Then I saw it up close and fell in love with it. I then crossed my fingers and started looking for the MPG listing and hoping for good fuel economy. As I was looking, my wife shouted, "it's a Hybrid!" We were pleasantly amassed at the fuel listing of 37mpg on the highway.

So on Monday, we went back to the dealer in Tucson (Dobbs Honda) and asked to take the car for a test drive. I told him upfront that I was not going to buy the car, but I wanted to drive it. After a tongue lashing from the salesman, he reluctantly let me take the car on a test drive. His concern was that I was placing miles on a car that I was not going to buy... I really wanted to drive it and see if I was going to like it and if I was going to want it. As I was driving it, I was totally falling in love with it. I only drove 3 miles and took it back to the dealer... I told the salesman thanks and left....

I then called all the dealers in Oklahoma that are within 100 miles to no avail. I had to branch out to a dealer that was 140 miles away. Fowler Honda in Norman, OK was the dealer that I called and told the Internet Sales Rep that I was wanting a Red or Blue CR-Z EX with Navi... He told me that there was one that just came in on Dec 24th, and I could have it if I wanted it. So we did all the paperwork over the phone, credit check, finance, and add-ons. When we got back to Oklahoma we went to the dealer and within 60 minutes, the car was detailed and the paperwork was signed and we left.

We have bought 6 cars in the last 10 years and this was the best car purchase I have ever made. As I stated before, this is the 2nd Honda and I am now a Honda fan due to the reliability and comfort of the vehicles.

Just wanted to share my experience.....

·
Registered
395 Posts
Good stuff, nice post!

I've owned Ford, Toyota, Pontiac, Isuzu and then I found an old 89 Honda Prelude.... and since then I have never bought anything but a Honda/Acura. I am on about my 20th Honda with this CRZ. I even went from a 300hp 07 Acura TL-S to this little car and I still love it.

Anyway, Welcome.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just for the sake of accuracy here, the Mazda3 does not get 18/25 mpg, that's the Mazdaspeed3. I do not suggest comparing the CR-Z with the Mazdaspeed3. Both great cars but with wildly different expectations as far as performance goes.

That aside, great story and glad you're happy with your CR-Z.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
comfort and drivability is what i find Honda has over any other brand. I'm not comfortable and i don't reall "enjoy" the driving in other cars. this is my Summer car, a 1991 Honda Prelude:

they just feel so much better than any other car i've driven, whether it's Mazda, GM or even a BMW.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Say wha? :mellow: I traded my 2006 Mazda3 in for my 2013 CRZ (I LOVED that Mazda-I love the Honda too). I never got less than 31 MPG on the Mazda and best on the Honda CRZ so far is about 37.6 or so.
Which engine did you have in the Mazda? I just traded in a 2006 Mazda3 with the larger engine (2.3 liter if I remember right) and NEVER got better than 29.5 in the smoothest, easiest highway cruising. In a more typical mix of city/highway (with San Francisco hills, which don't help) I averaged 24-5. I'm averaging 35ish with my Z

·
Registered
53 Posts
Just for the sake of accuracy here, the Mazda3 does not get 18/25 mpg, that's the Mazdaspeed3. I do not suggest comparing the CR-Z with the Mazdaspeed3. Both great cars but with wildly different expectations as far as performance goes.

That aside, great story and glad you're happy with your CR-Z.
I will back that up as well. My "Family" car is a 2012 Mazda 3 Skyactive and she continues to average 39 - 41 mpg. Not a slouch either. But when its just the miss' and me, its the Z!

·
Registered
216 Posts
I will back that up as well. My "Family" car is a 2012 Mazda 3 Skyactive and she continues to average 39 - 41 mpg. Not a slouch either. But when its just the miss' and me, its the Z!
Mazda3 mileage improved dramatically when they went to the Skyactiv system a few years ago. Earlier versions, like the one I recently traded in on my Z, were pretty weak in the fuel economy department -- but a LOT more fun to drive than most run-of-the-mill compacts. I liked mine a lot, despite the crooked service department at my local dealer.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.