Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Well I picked my Crystal Black UK spec CR-Z GT up yesterday and spent a bit of time getting to know it yesterday with a mix of motorway/highway driving and a little bit of the normal roads and traffic. Today I took my CRZ which I have named “Zap” on my usual new car testing route. This consists of a mix of village/town areas and LOTS of twisty roads, no motorways.

My previous car was a Mercedes C180 Blue-Efficiency. Which, while economical for a Mercedes seemed to depend on the turbo an awful lot to give it some get up and go when it needed to. The other thing that I think of a disadvantage with the Mercedes was it was an automatic transmission (my first), it never seemed to be in the correct gear for corners.

Well I knew that the CRZ was an awfully different beastie after a few miles on the motorway as (once I’d remembered to change gears LOL) I dropped it a gear or two and nudged the throttle. I got a nice fast response and the car picked up speed rather quickly, with a very nice burble from the exhaust. Now in my Mercedes nudging the throttle usually resulted in the car responding a second or two later, so I’d developed a habit of tapping it before I needed the power - in the CRZ I didn’t need to do this any more - the power was there instantly either from the Electric Motor or the Petrol Engine - depending on the conditions.

So I took the car through my route and tested out the handling abilities of the car, the pickup and the difference between the various Eco modes. The main difference between the modes seems to be how fast the throttle response and how tight the steering is. As otherwise the power curves etc. seemed to be the same. There were a few other things such as there is more chance of the auto start stop activating in Eco mode than normal and none in Sport. Speaking of the auto-stop - in traffic the engine is so quiet when it actually stops - it is hard to tell. You can only really check by looking at the “Auto Stop” indicator on the dashboard, and when it starts back up there is a slight vibration as the engine kicks back into life.

As for handling, I found the CRZ quite able to deal with all the things that I encountered, the weight of the batteries in the middle of the car seem to balance out the weight of the engine giving the car a nice balanced feel, but also gives you the ability to flick out the back a bit if necessary.

Most of my use of the car during the week will be commuting to and from work, most of the journey is on the motorway but both ends of the journey are through start-stop traffic. With my Mercedes I usually obtained an average of 33 MPG (UK) over this route, with the car doing excellent 45+ on the motorway, but as soon as you hit the roads and traffic it fell off sharply. As my new car test route does not involve any motorway - but lots of twisty roads, hills, descents and occasionally traffic I was certainly interested in what the result was.. 41.9 MPG (UK) for the route - awesome. I did find that the information presented on the dash kind of prodded me into driving more economically - especially the change-up-down lights and the colour feedback. I’ve almost grown all my plants for stage 1 on the Eco-Game on this one trip :)

Overall I’m looking forward to trying her out over the usual run on Monday to see how things go.. but it’s looking good so far.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Hi All,

<SNIP>
There were a few other things such as there is more chance of the auto start stop activating in Eco mode than normal and none in Sport.
<SNIP>
As for handling, I found the CRZ quite able to deal with all the things that I encountered, the weight of the batteries in the middle of the car seem to balance out the weight of the engine giving the car a nice balanced feel, but also gives you the ability to flick out the back a bit if necessary.
<SNIP>
I’ve almost grown all my plants for stage 1 on the Eco-Game on this one trip :)
<SNIP>
Fun, huh? I never thought 122hp would be this much fun except on a bike. And the mileage is definitely a nice bonus!:hi5:

Odd.. my US spec CR-Z DOES auto-stop in Sport Mode..... does all three modes.

I love the handling... and wait until you try some good aftermarket tires.. it is MUCH better! :thumbsup:!

I guess I am one of the few that just drives it, and doesnt pay much attention to the "plants"... at least not yet.

As mine breaks in, I notice I am getting better mileage.. and of course, I am also adjusting driving style to utilize the IMA more also. I find that if I leave it in Sport, I actually improve my mileage. I guess it is because of the much improved throttle response... I dont have to juice it as much trying to make it respond.. it just does. Who knows... but I do love Sport mode.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ahh right - maybe I just haven't hit the right conditions for it to auto-stop in Sport mode yet. Yeah, I think some nice tyres might be my first purchase. As far as the plants - to be honest I wasn't trying LOL I just looked over at the display and bam - they were all there - I think I'm missing the last leaf of the last plant.. I must be doing something right :p even if it is by accident.

Next week I'm going to try the journey to work in each mode and see if there is any noticeable difference, if not I'll probably keep mine in Sport Mode as well.

·
Registered
35 Posts
great car!

my old post from a youtube comment:
-------------
picked up a 6 speed EX. had a bmw 330. i like this little car a lot since i like having lots of options. my commute can use all 3 modes so i'm pressing buttons, shifting gears, enjoying the tunes or on the bluetooth phone. it won't suite the masses. it's a smart car, nimble and fun in sport and the pleasing glow of the green halo when you're in econ really makes you feel you're doing your small part for the planet.
--------------
it's been a week, can't find anything I don't like. the usb thumb drive works just like an ipod (great feature)!

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Happy you like your new ride. :thumbsup::hi5:

Fun, huh? I never thought 122hp would be this much fun except on a bike. And the mileage is definitely a nice bonus!:hi5:

Odd.. my US spec CR-Z DOES auto-stop in Sport Mode..... does all three modes.

I love the handling... and wait until you try some good aftermarket tires.. it is MUCH better! :thumbsup:!

I guess I am one of the few that just drives it, and doesnt pay much attention to the "plants"... at least not yet.

As mine breaks in, I notice I am getting better mileage.. and of course, I am also adjusting driving style to utilize the IMA more also. I find that if I leave it in Sport, I actually improve my mileage. I guess it is because of the much improved throttle response... I dont have to juice it as much trying to make it respond.. it just does. Who knows... but I do love Sport mode.
Ya' know, I haven't payed any attention to the plants either. I also leave it in Sport most of the time. I can keep my foot out of it more now, though.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Definitely a great car. I had one for 4 days, drove it hard, drove it soft, it's at his best when you drive just a bit faster than traffic. Surprisingly comfortable and roomy, well for 2.

I can only recommend it to anyone looking for a nice set of wheels that's cheap to run.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Glad you like the car, welcome aboard :hi5:

If only everyone could give it a chance before judgement on specs. I mean the Fit gets awarded the limelight as the fun to drive subcompact (here in the US), meanwhile everyone hates on the CR-Z for being what - a slightly heavier Fit with more useable torque, a better transmission, and less economy box interior.....

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just took mine out on my second test route which consists of lots of motorway/highway and some town driving. After reading various peoples impressions on Sport mode not having too much of an affect on fuel economy I decided to give it a try - popped it in Sport mode and left it there, a few things...

1. Auto Stop does work in Sport mode - so it must have just been something stopping it before, maybe I had the rear heater on or something. I found it would engage if you have the brake down and the gear in neutral - clutch could be up or down.

2. The car is MUCH more fun and rev happy in this mode :)

3. The journey was 80% motorway so at 70 mph approx. on those parts. Car is much more responsive in Sport, and the computer is much happier to provide electric assist when you are accelerating.

4. Managed to get a total of 45 mpg (UK) on this trip, and I was NOT driving in tree-hug mode, I was having fun, fast change ups, quick accelerations, making progress when I could. Had LOTS of fun.

5. Noticed a LOT of people looking their side and rear view mirrors looking at the car as they went past. In fact some of the attention started to annoy me as I would be waiting for a car to overtake me, so that I could then move in behind it, so I could make progress.. and find that they'd slow down for a good look.. ahh well, such is life :pP:

If I get this good mpg in Sport on my daily commute - it is staying in Sport Mode permanently :p

PS: Did I mention it was "FUN" in Sport Mode! Obviously it is no where near as fast as my old Civic Type-R (which I had a couple of cars before my Merc.) .. BUT having constant torque available virtually all the way through the power range is REALLY useful. I think that, that might be another difference between Sport Mode and the others... it was almost like a different car.

·
Registered
77 Posts
:confused: Not sure why when the CR-Z was reviewed it was thought of as slow. I admit when I first read that it is 122hp I was concerned but as usual Honda doesn't disappoint. Drove it to Connecticut this weekend and it was a blast. Very zippy and quick....I LOVE THIS LITTLE CAR :thumbsup:

·
Capt'n Jack
9,499 Posts
:confused: Not sure why when the CR-Z was reviewed it was thought of as slow. I admit when I first read that it is 122hp I was concerned but as usual Honda doesn't disappoint. Drove it to Connecticut this weekend and it was a blast. Very zippy and quick....I LOVE THIS LITTLE CAR :thumbsup:
Previous ride which I traded in was a Civic Hybrid. I think in order to properly review the CR-Z you first have to drive a Civic Hybrid and maybe a couple of the simular size hybrids. Otherwise, expectations are not realistic. The difference between the CR-Z in sport mode and the Civic Hybrid is like night and day. Doesn't even compare. Can almost say the same of the CR-Z in Normal. The Civic was always in ECON. The Prius, also no real comparison. Take the marginal reviews with a grain of salt so to speak. Those of us who own one know the difference. Best of both worlds.

Anyone here thinking about buying a CR-Z, highly recommend driving other simular hybrids first, then the CR-Z.

I also have a Suzuki SX4 AWD I use during the winter - put studded snow tires on it and it goes anywhere/everywhere - Think it has 166HP. The CR-Z is much more responsive - no comparison.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Have to agree on the peppiness of the CR-Z, even the CVT version. I'm impressed that there's plenty of performance there in normal mode and even in eco mode... far quicker than other cars I've had with more HP-- that's horsepower, not sauce, for you Brits! :pP:

Strange... just sort of realized that I haven't one used my silver beauty in sport mode for a full journey. I've only used it very sporadically and briefly, kind of on an as-needed basis and usually associated with getting around an annoying slow-poke! That darned addictive mpg reading has made a slave of me!!! I'm going to have to give it a shot, but will wait for the right opportunity rather than the usual miseable stop-and-go work commute! :angry:

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
nice review :thumbup:
Cheers - I thought that it was only fair to put a review up, so people who are thinking about this car can see what it is really like, as opposed to some of the official reviews who I don't think give it a fair go.

Well I had three days of my usual commute this week (got the rest of the week as holiday yay! :thumbsup: ) my morning route isn't too bad traffic-wise was it is early morning and there is not a huge amount of traffic so it was a fairly quick journey - this time I used Sport Mode only to jump onto the motorway/highway then popped it into Normal Mode for the rest of the journey.

The trip back home was more involved - normal rush hour traffic, motorway traffic was crawling occasionally with stops, starts and then brief bursts of progress etc. Then the usual traffic in town - again slow progress until I got home.

I haven't reset my trip counter yet from my test drives - but the average has now gone up to 46.1 mpg (UK) so it is still heading upwards. And after looking at the graph of the last trips the trip to work was averaging around 50mpg(UK).

So looking good so far, and I think this will only get better as the engine loosens up and I get more used to the car.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I'm at 349 as of this post and no CR-Z:iough:......
Ok, I know this is lame and sorry to take up time, but I've got to know. Been driving me nuts. What does that particular emoticon mean??? :iough:? (Background: for the longest time I thought LOL meant "lots of luck" and wondered why people kept saying that to me.) I obviously don't catch on too quick.
Thanks.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.